Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
SaneTezz's profile

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, February 23rd, 2022 3:27 PM

Closed

Phone won't make or receive calls

Hi,  so phone won't make or receive calls but is fine with texts and internet and the rest of everything.   

The bills paid 

Not in airplane mode

Tried restarting

Tried airplane mode then deactivating

Removed Apps that could be fishy

Cleared my internet info 

And finally just went and factory reset my phone. 

And still will not make calls. 

I've tried businesses and friends but just get the "can't connect" with beep beep beep beep.

My husband and kid s both have functioning phones.  However my mother in law is having the same issue on her iPhone through atnt and I have a Samsung... so...  what's going on?  Just started yesterday. 

• 

15 Messages

2 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 - yes, I'm mad. I'm mad about the incomplete information in advance of the shutdown, and I'm mad about the totally inadequate training of their employees.

I wasted hours on trying to get this solved, and the official AT&T resources still have not recognized the fact that my phone would be incompatible. Only on this forum I found out that 4G didn't mean that I would have kept my service.

Yes, by now I realize that I'm over the barrel and I need a new phone. But, I'm mad at the fact that AT&T personnel is incapable to provide me with a temporary work-around of call forwarding, as a temporary bridge.

To be met at this forum by a bunch of fanatic apologists, pointing at me for AT&T's failure to do their job is infuriating.

• 

15 Messages

2 years ago

As said before, twice now, @formerlyknownas, providers like Ting, Cricket, an T-Mobile, and my father's senior alarm system company, did do a good job at communicating, so I helped family and friends getting and activating a replacement device. Based on reports in the media, I also took care of people using AT&T on 3G phones. I've been busy with this stuff for over a year now. Having my 4G LTE phone failing came out of left field.

(edited)

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas You have to be the most insulting, condescending person trying to "help" I've ever seen. Yea it's (Edited per community guidelines)sible a "techie" doesn't know about 5G turnovers, I am a "techie" more than you can probably imagine and I had no idea, it's because, let's take a guess, I DON'T WORK IN THAT FIELD. And saying att customers were sent emails, WHAT ABOUT NEW CUSTOMERS?  You (Edited per community guidelines) go back to ballroom dancing (Edited per community guidelines) you no good at this.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

Your right on the BYOP page ATT has kinda hid it.  But I will say its easy to find info on the 3G shutdown elsewhere.

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171/

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

2 years ago

I have paperless billing and noticed it on the first page (usually advertisement) quite a while ago. 

• 

15 Messages

2 years ago

Yeah, they did some notifications about the demise of 3G, @Fl_retire, but they did not make it clear that 4G LTE customers would be cut off as well. That's the problem.

Everybody can keep whining that cutting 3G was necessary and (somewhat) announced, but that's NOT the point.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

2 years ago

@whois66

3g and 4g is cut off.  AT&T 4G is actually 3 G and a half.  

(Think of its 5Ge, which is actually LTE, not 5G at all.)

Customers with phones who are 4G LTE and voice over LTE capable are not cut off

I'm still a little baffled how AT & T has spent the past year kicking phone's off that would not work after the shutdown, and still managed to miss hundreds of phones that got turned off last Tuesday. 

And all week I'm seeing people post things about phones that got turned off but never should have been allowed on the network in the first place - banned Huawei phones.  

And until this week I had no idea that there was a completely separate list for firstnet

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

2 years ago

@jdt007

I don't get paid.  I'm here on my own time and provide factual information.   I may not be happy with the way AT&T has run this absolute foul-up of a transition, but I wasn't in charge. 

Calling yourself a techie and not being aware of the 3-g shutdown and the introduction of 5G is crazy.  It's all related and interconnected. It's been the hot topic in every tech news for years. 

It fell on a t and t to inform customers and kick phones off the network before the 3-g shut off. They botched it all the way. 

Nevertheless it's happened, there's nothing we can do about it, the next step forward is up to you. Either your phone will work on another Network, or you need to change phones. 

• 

15 Messages

2 years ago

Actually, 4G (non-LTE) was extended 3G (HSPA+ or Evolved High Speed Packet Access), and was not 4G at all. It was a marketing gimmick, because they couldn't get to real LTE fast enough. They got away with it, because this high-end 3G was as fast as the low-end LTE (then still unapproved) specs. But 4G LTE was actually 4G LTE. Or at least it was supposed to. For internet speeds it worked, but somehow they managed to messed up with the voice part even on the phones they marketed, and made people pay good money for. And it looks like we're on the same path with the 5G implementation.

Full disclosure: I did work for the AT&T's Network Systems division (later Lucent and Bell Labs), testing and deploying giant digital central offices around the world, and helped integrating the first mobile data networks in several countries. After I left the company with the ever-changing name and owners, I ended up working in a database field, I have bunches of cheap mobile phones, mostly IoT devices type things. I kept track of the mobile internet technology, but didn't keep close track of the stuff (the new) AT&T was doing to cut corners on voice.

• 

53 Messages

2 years ago

Everyone here except for at&t help accounts are trying to assist other customers here. We dont get paid for this and we do it because we like to help. Most of those helping are techies or tech nerds. Generally speaking tech nerds want to assist and help people with tech issues because we feel like the more people into technology the better. The more people that have better experiences with technology the better... ect. 

There's exceptions to the above but in my experience that's usually the case. 

So if anyone sounds grouchy or anything like that, it's not because we don't want to help...it's because most of us have been spouting the same information over and over, sharing the same lists over and over for months on months. 

It gets a little aggravating repeating oneself so much. Lol

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.