Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
SaneTezz's profile

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, February 23rd, 2022 3:27 PM

Closed

Phone won't make or receive calls

Hi,  so phone won't make or receive calls but is fine with texts and internet and the rest of everything.   

The bills paid 

Not in airplane mode

Tried restarting

Tried airplane mode then deactivating

Removed Apps that could be fishy

Cleared my internet info 

And finally just went and factory reset my phone. 

And still will not make calls. 

I've tried businesses and friends but just get the "can't connect" with beep beep beep beep.

My husband and kid s both have functioning phones.  However my mother in law is having the same issue on her iPhone through atnt and I have a Samsung... so...  what's going on?  Just started yesterday. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

2 years ago

@blkopns

You have completely ignored/misunderstood the issue.  Despite it having been explained more than once. 

It's voice over LTE. Your phone doesn't have it on at&t and has been dropping back to 3-g for voice calls all along. Now that the 3-g network is shut off you have no voice service.

Your phone has always use LTE, and possibly 5Ge or 5G  for data and text messages.

IPhone X (and 6, 6s, SE, SE) and newer are Universal devices.  Entirely Apple software. Once unlocked from any carrier they will work on any carrier.  iPhone software is all one, and all Apple. 

The same is not true for Android which frequently has software on it that is carrier-specific, and different model numbers.  Software other carriers do not have license to alter. 

• 

15 Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas 

Unlike you, I am new to this forum. It came up in searches to address my problem. So it really doesn't matter that you guys have been talking about it among yourself for 2 years about this apocalypse. For regular customers, it was not communicated by AT&T at all, and other companies did an excellent job. Even as a techie I didn't see this coming. Why should I?

The AT&T agents were not even informed and tried to solve the problem, instead of knowing that LTE didn't mean that your phone wasn't toast.

And no, there is no replacement for the functionality of my Windows Phone, but I am now without a phone or a budget to buy a new one. I am just without a phone, but still have to pay my bill. It's outrageous.

Your flippant remark about AT&T not providing telephones after Tuesday just was insult to injury. Remember that I am in this situation not due to my fault, but AT&T's.

I am missing my incoming calls, and it's not even possible to get my phone number forwarded to my Google Voice number. Just as a bridge, until I have found a phone with the needed functionality and the budget to buy it.

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

I agree. I made a post about MMI codes not working on my phone and this smart guy come to my thread and typed "IDK, buy a new phone." He needs to be reported to corporate customer care for all of these ridiculous comments abusing their customers. It's rediculous they would endorse such a crude person like that as a frontman.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

2 years ago

@whois66

A techie?   And completely unaware that 5g is the new thing?  And that all networks are shutting off 2g and 3g to make room for 5g? And this has been planned and working toward this goal since 2015?   2g shut off in 2017, and the 3g shut off was scheduled then, for 2021 by all 3 major networks.  2g and 3g must shut off to expand 5G and LTE. 

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20190410/5g/the-3g-network-sunset-and-its-implications-for-iot

AT&T regular customers have been sent email, text messages and had phones disconnected for 18 months.  How they missed a handful is puzzling. 

Unless your phone was missidentified on their network with a false IMEI, AT&T should have known and shut you off sooner.  AT&T is not responsible to inform customers who are using an mvno, that is the responsibility of that other carrier. 

https://9to5google.com/2020/07/23/att-upgrade-email-false-alarm/

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/22/21334221/att-customer-upgrade-email-3g-shutdown-2022

Free phones:

https://www.xda-developers.com/att-3g-shutdown-free-phone/

Yeah, you'll love the $40 calypso, Radiant core or maestro (not) .   You're really missing out on the free e-waste.  😂

And text:

And exactly how is it AT&T's fault you're using an incompatible device?  
 With the exception of the Microsoft Duo and Duo 2, which will work, Windows phones are all old in tech years.  Which means you haven't purchased a new phone and quite some time.  You are responsible for bringing a compatible device to any network you use. 
I have been using unlocked phones since 2016, to avoid carrier locks, bloat, slow software update, etc.  All the while aware that it's on me to buy a compatible phone. 
If you want to keep using your Windows phone, find a network that allows it.  Both Verizon and T-Mobile have IMEI checks.  Verizon won't allow it if it does not have band 13.  T-mobile may be your only option.
It's hardly the only place the 3g shut down has been discussed (and complained about).   Reddit has threads pinned.  Tech magazines and online like CNET have been on this for 2 years.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

2 years ago

@OldRex

AT&T employees are forced to identify themselves as such on the Forum. That does not mean they work in Wireless or as support.  They are specifically identified as being here on their own time with their own opinions.

• 

15 Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas Wow, you are an incredibly insulting person. You act entitled because bullying and torturing people of this forum, instead of helping, seems to be your daily pleasure.

I have been well aware of the fact that 3G is making place for 5G, and therefore I have been helping friends and family to upgrade. No, I didn't get any messages about the demise of my phone due to the lack of VoLTE, and I got my phone directly from AT&T, so if they provided it with a false IMEI as you are suggesting, we need to get to the bottom of that, don't you think?

I would suggest you stop your accusatory responses, to my post, because they are not helpful. It won't solve a thing. Bye bye.

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

That Whitelist has been, CONVENIENTLY updated.  Now, it removes a TON of phones.  New list, as of AFTER the implementation (of course this doesn't help if you just spent $500-$1,000 on a new phone based on the list they published up until 2 days ago):

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/pdf/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network-After-3G-Goes-Away.pdf

Caveat Emptor

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

2 years ago

@whois66

Stating facts and providing 2 year old information that has been floating around public is none of that.  

The only Windows phones that are capable of HD voice and will continue working are the MS duo or the duo 2 whether you purchase them from AT&T or purchase them unlocked.

The next most recent MS 950 and 950 xl came out in 2015, nearly 7 years old.  Phones in 2015 were just the cusp of HD voice.  Only the most popular phones that old are updated with HD voice by the manufacturers. Blame MS for not keeping their phones updated with software that include HD voice/VoLTE. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

2 years ago

@ChuckCar 

Removed phones? 

That's not true.  AT&T's list has added new phones on a nearly monthly basis.  I still have previous lists, going back to March of 2020 when only a handful of phones were on the list.  

The AT&T white list is not the Firstnet list.  Never has been, which is why I posted a link to the firstnet list.

AT&T's list includes a lot of phones that firstnet does not because firstnet requires band 14, dedicated to first Responders. 

Those phones kicked off firstnet will work on AT&T's regular service. 

Those users can still get a first responder 25% discount, but they will not get firstnet priority.  

• 

15 Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas - your excuses are of no value. AT&T shut down the capability of receiving and making calls without informing the customers appropriately. AT&T shot their customer without appropriate warning, and you are kicking the corpse.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.