Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
D

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, October 13th, 2021 7:06 PM

Closed

Reward card fraud

my rewards cards wiped out from someone impersonating calling from ATT reward center and surprisingly they had all my information including address, phone number, reward card number and expiration date… except CVV number..
ATT customer service very poor, wasted my 2-3 hours and no solution.

• 

21 Messages

2 years ago

I have a similar experience. The scammer had all info on my card. He cleaned my card! ATT knows the merchant that cashed but not reversing the fraudulent charges.

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

2 years ago

If they had all the information they needed they wouldn't have called you, they would have no need to. Period

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

@spoom2, how do you know that to be true?  The card was issued by Bancorp. Its likely that AT&T would not have access to the card number for security reasons, but their Reward Card division can still access details like account balance, activation status, etc. There's no reason for Bancorp to provide AT&T with card numbers.  That was the missing piece of info the scammers needed.

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

2 years ago

I was replying to the following comment.

The scammer had all info on my card. He cleaned my card!

Not to all 4 pages of post.  Yes they were fishing for the information they didn't have.  I've had many phone calls trying to get me to verify my CC information by providing the last four on the card, then if you give them that they'll say oh by the way can you give the the last 3 number in the CVV box.  Which I give them neither, but know many who have. A CC company isn't going to call you and have you verify what they already have.  Man a little common sense goes a long way here.  Again I responded to one post not this whole mess of people giving out information.  I haven't even read the whole thing as from what I have read is all the same. 

(edited)

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

2 years ago

From the FTC from AARP do a bit of research. 

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

had same experience a few days ago, has anyone here got solution from ATT

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

2 years ago

The same what thing happened?  There's more than one issue in this topic, please explain what exactly happened. You placed a call?  Someone called you? Things disappeared for no reason?  Have you reported it to AT&T fraud group. Have you called the number on the back of the card?

(edited)

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

spoom2

If they had all the information they needed they wouldn't have called you, they would have no need to. Period

This is true, they do not have all of the info they need.  They ONLY have the AT&T portion of the information.  So it's VERY evident where the information is leaked from, either through an insider helping to perpetuate the scam or AT&T's systems are severely compromised.  This is what needs to be investigated, but it doesn't seem like AT&T cares enough to trouble themselves with it.  And yes it is on the people who are falling for the scam to have a little common sense, but AT&T has massive culpability here.

(edited)

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

2 years ago

@CraigLister42 Or the information you give them when they call.  The original poster clearly stated they had everything except the CVV code, so that's why they called, they didn't have all the information they needed, but sounds like they got it.  This stuff is all explained in the links provided by people who advise others how to avoid these issues. 

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

@spoom2 same to drsurendra22, got a call, caller has all personal and att account info including date that card was sent, asked for cvv so that they could reload balances because technique issue, lost $200. reached out to reward center who said they cannot reissue the reward, called ATT fraud department who said they will create a ticket and perform investigation.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.