Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
humphrjm's profile

6 Messages

Friday, April 5th, 2024 7:51 AM

ATT Cell Booster - SOS only?

Praying I don't just have a dead paperweight now. I have an ATT Cell Booster (the 4G one, misleading name since it is ethernet and not a booster), and all of the sudden yesterday, my phone starts showing SOS only and zero bars as the signal. iPhone 12 Pro Max. My wife's phone, iPhone 14 Pro, is showing zero bars as the signal. When I unplug the booster, I get 1 bar in the house from a real tower. Plugging back in the booster, after everything reconnects again, I get 4 bars for about 30 seconds, and then it drops back down to zero bars and SOS only again. I tried plugging into a different port and a different router entirely, with no avail. Tried power cycling the whole network, modem, router, and booster, with the same effect. Also tried to follow the real time diagnostic online but it "encountered an error, come back later"

7 Messages

1 month ago

Thanks @OttoPylot   I have wifi-C turned on for now. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

1 month ago

@1miletogo  If WiFi-C works well for you, and it should, then I'd stick with it. I only fire-up my Cell Booster every few months to keep my account active and to get any updates if any. Other than that, it's all WiFi-C for us.

• 

16 Messages

1 month ago

@OttoPylot  I have WiFi calling turned on too..the husband has a flip phone…and he doesn’t have WiFi calling on it…soooo..I can’t call him … the cell booster unit is all lit up like it’s supposed to be..it was all lit up yesterday too.. We haven’t left the house today so I don’t know if we ventured into town if the cell phones would work there…thx..

7 Messages

1 month ago

@OttoPylot , my Cell booster doesn't show in my app for me to download any updates to it, I'm not sure if there have been any firmware updates to it.  I don't have unlimited Data plan for my internet, so I've never had WiFi-C on previously until this issue.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

1 month ago

@1miletogo  Updates to the Cell Booster, if any, are never announced. They are just pushed during the night time maintenance window. There are no log changes either to see what was done. It's all internal and almost impossible to find out what they were.

WiFi-C is basically for voice. If you leave WiFi enabled (not to be confused with WiFi-C) data goes over that.

@Marty51  The issue seems to be limited to the Cell Booster on the backend. Your phones should still work as usual when outside of the range of the Cell Booster. The problem, as I see it, is that there is a connection to the AT&T Mobility servers (hence all of the LED's are solid white), but after that, service is disabled.

• 

6 Messages

1 month ago

@OttoPylot I wanted to point out something which may help raise the priority of this. Since there is no way for us to control / approve what devices connect to our cell boosters - this means any immediate geographic neighbors who use AT&T are also impacted and have no idea why - a call to support to them would result in a confusing and wasted interaction. The neighbors on both sides of me use AT&T and benefit from my cell booster pro. They are dead in the water as well. I may just unplug mine until this gets resolved.

• 

16 Messages

1 month ago

@abudwill I was thinking of just unplugging it too. The husband is in the garage working. We get one iffy bar of service here w/o the booster. If I need him at least I MAY be able to get ahold of him. 

• 

6 Messages

1 month ago

@Marty51 I think most of our devices support WiFi calling now a days. So as long as you have that enabled on both your phones and are in range of your WiFi network you should be in luck. I rely on my cell booster pro to send non iMessage messages (legit sms / https://smpp.org). Pretty screwed until this is fixed. Good luck - it’s comforting to know we aren’t alone and crazy!

• 

16 Messages

1 month ago

@Abudwill The husband has a flip phone with no WiFi calling. That is why we needed the cell booster. And WiFi service is sooo sketchy here. You are right I was glad to see I wasn’t alone with this crazy problem. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

1 month ago

@abudwill  I have had no issues sending SMS/MMS to our non-Apple friends with or without the Cell Booster. If fact, we have no issues using WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) with our Android friends.

That's nice of you to allow your neighbors to jump on your Cell Booster Pro to make/receive calls, even tho there's not much you can do to stop them because there are still lots of issues with the whitelist/blacklist. The only priority AT&T is going to give to this are to the registered owners of the CB's and CBP's. However, this will probably slow down AT&T finding a fix for the CB/CBP issue if Support starts getting lots of similar complaints not knowing that some of the complaints are coming from non-CB/CBP owners.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.