Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
theimortal1974's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, November 30th, 2015 6:01 AM

being charge for a FREE tablet

i went to an att kiosk on may 15th 2015.  i told them i wanted a tablet.  they said if you get a samsung s6 you would get a free samsung tablet.  i had to give up my iphone to do it.  6 months later i see on my bill that they have been charging me a monthly installment for my FREE tablet.  i chatted with someone online and they  made a case and looked into it admitting that it was a mistake and it should be free.  a month later there is still another charge on the free tablet.  i call and they tell me the case was closed and not only will not refund the money they fraudulently took but the will keep taking money.  they deny there ever was a free tablet.  finally i talk to a manager and she was all nice and understanding and said she would look into it.  tonight i look at my bill and i was charged 209.99 (the remaining balance on my free tablet) all at once AND it was past due.  

i talked to a manager and he said there is no such thing as a free tablet.  the manager i talked to lied to me to get me off the phone.

am beyond *** right now.  att is not getting a single *** dime from me.  they can take it to a collection agency.  if i ever find proof that i was promised a free tablet i will [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

I feel your pain! Its ridiculous to expect us to understand all of the legalise writing. Why can't they be honest. Looking in to taking the hit and cancelling. Good luck!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

This post (#33) shows how a salesperson is never asked the right question, and is not forthcoming about costs involved.  This is not unique to ATT.  Complaints on Verizon and T-mobile are common.

Rep: Oh, I see you have been with AT&T for 6 years now. We want to send you 2 free tablets for being such a loyal customer!
Me: Hmm, free tablets you said?
Rep: Yeah, do you have kids?
Me: I have a few.
Rep: They will love the tablets.
Me (remembering TINSTAAFL from my Economics class): But, are they really free? Am I receiving them at no charge?
Rep: Absolutely. We are sending them as gift for being a loyal customer.
Me: Do I have to purchase a separate data plan for the tablets?
Rep: No, you do not. They will use your existing data plan for cellphones.
Me: So do I connect them to the network I setup with my cellphone?
Rep: No, The tablets come with separate SIM card in them, but they use your existing data plan.
Me: Ok then.
Rep: I am shipping the tablets right now.

The missing question...Does it have a line access fee so it can connect to my data plan?

ANSWER:  yes, yes it does.   ATT sells cellular devices and they require a cellular connection to a data plan and there is a line fee for access which is determined by your current plan. ( $10 to $20 )

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I had to get a phone around thanksgiving -Christmas 2016. I only needed a cell phone. They threw in a tablet & a few other things assuring me they were absolutely free! Everything that was givin to me even had big pretty blue bows on them to manipulate me. Come to find out I am being charged a extra $10 dollars a month for a tablet I do not need & it was pushed on me! I have been lied to. Manipulated, at&t should hold a reputation to be forthcoming on these so called free product's. I have called wanting to return the tablet & they will not accommodate me at all. THIEVES!!!! Not sure what I will do next. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE AT ALL.
Also, I rarely use my cell phone & my bill is over $80 a month! AT&T will never hold themselves accountable for their manipulation. I called today & they said someone would call me back. That never happened! I have always paid my bill on time & been a great customer. At&t has employees that will lie through their teeth to get a commission! Never again will I use at&t and I will make sure I discourage as many people as possible to not do business with a company that is not reputable. I need a lawyer!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

Agree totally! Rip off artists!

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

HOW I WAS FORCED TO LEAVE AT&T

Friday, November 17, 2017

Attention AT&T:

I am writing this letter to inform you all, AT&T Inc. (American Telephone and Telegraph Company) that, at 4:42pm on Friday, November 17, 2017, I completely terminated all business affairs with you, including my wireless service with the account XXXXXXXXXXXX and passcode being XXXX, registered under the former cellular phone number XXX XXX XXXX and affirm you that I no longer possess the mobile device - the iphone7 with an IMEI of XXXXXXXXXXXXXX and owe you absolutely zero dollars and zero

Just for your records, at 3:43pm on 11/14/2017, after I finally received a full refund from you for that illegal charge, I canceled my check card and should you make any future attempts to collect any funds from me, which you will, I promise you that you will be wasting your time. You will have no success whatsoever. Zero. Nil. I am well aware of the consequences that my decision to terminate all business with you may have on my credit but I do not [care] about my credit! If AT&T is going to conduct business by intentionally fraud and coercion through legal plunder, will guess what? I can make my own law too I assure you that I would rather sleep under a bridge than give you another penny of my money or second of my time.

Although AT&T thinks it’s above the law and can just make whatever rule it wants for most people, what AT&T will quickly learn is, when it comes to me, AT&T does not write the terms. I do. And I did.

[Inappropriate content removed]

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

I feel your pain. I tried more than 30 times via phone, chat, etc. To resolve the issues I have had with AT&T. I was transferred several times during the phone calls and nobody could or would help. Very deceitful company! I turned in my equipment and will never do business with this company. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

6 years ago

@iwritetheterms: If you want to cancel AT&T service, you need to call them. Writing a letter, even posting a copy to an online forum, won’t do you any good. 

Although, if you would rather be homeless, I guess you could just get nthat route and save yourself the time and energy. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

I already did call AT&T. And I got the conversation recorded too.  It’s pretty sad when a business such a pathological liar I’m forced to buy an app to record every conversation I have with one of you people. And yes, I got their consent beginning conversation. I actually respect the law rather than exploit it but because of scumbags like AT&T, this world just gets worse and worse each day. I refuse to go through AT&T is arbitration process ...  I’m also meeting with the FTA this upcoming week. And I can’t stand government anymore than I can stand corporations. For the most part, corporations like AT&T or the reason why we need big government. Everyone just had a conscience, we wouldn’t have to worry about big, federal bureaucracy. God they really need to break up AT&T up. And google definitely is a near-monopoly.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

Anyone who has a dispute with AT&T should always, even if they plan on resolving it via arbitration or small claims court, file a complaint with the FTA. They are the only organization that can really hold AT&T accountable.
(https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/?utm_source=takeaction#crnt).

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

This is sleazy.  I had the same issue at an AT&T STORE.  The sales person tried to sweeten the deal by offering a free tablet with a phone purchase, which I jumped at. However, he didn't tell me that the "free" tablet was actually a $10 a month 2 1/2 year contract (or whatever they want to call it). Granted, I definitely should have looked at the fine print.  However, I should have also been told about the $10 a month!  From AT&T, I  (a long time loyal customer btw) definitely learned what being scammed feels like. I also always need to look at the fine print.  Free is rarely ever free.  This type of sales tactic has made me never buy phones again from an AT&T store (I buy full price online always). And now that we have no phones being paid for in our monthly bill - my family of four is seriously thinking of switching to another phone company.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.