Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
theimortal1974's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, November 30th, 2015 6:01 AM

being charge for a FREE tablet

i went to an att kiosk on may 15th 2015.  i told them i wanted a tablet.  they said if you get a samsung s6 you would get a free samsung tablet.  i had to give up my iphone to do it.  6 months later i see on my bill that they have been charging me a monthly installment for my FREE tablet.  i chatted with someone online and they  made a case and looked into it admitting that it was a mistake and it should be free.  a month later there is still another charge on the free tablet.  i call and they tell me the case was closed and not only will not refund the money they fraudulently took but the will keep taking money.  they deny there ever was a free tablet.  finally i talk to a manager and she was all nice and understanding and said she would look into it.  tonight i look at my bill and i was charged 209.99 (the remaining balance on my free tablet) all at once AND it was past due.  

i talked to a manager and he said there is no such thing as a free tablet.  the manager i talked to lied to me to get me off the phone.

am beyond *** right now.  att is not getting a single *** dime from me.  they can take it to a collection agency.  if i ever find proof that i was promised a free tablet i will [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

8 years ago

@theimortal1974: Part of the problem is you should have gone to ATT Corporate Store, not some kiosk. Have to find out what the catch is before signing papers.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

I guess I'm not being clear.  The $10 line fee doesn't include a data plan.  Has nothing to do with data at all.  

And I'm still not sure about the $15 charge.  

I was was wondering what plan you are on?  An older plan?  With individual data?

Maybe my screen shots will help explain.

My plan is the Mobile share value plan, if you are on a different plan it might look different.

First is screen shot of what my tablet looks like on my plan bill details

The the second is what an installment plan looks like on my bill details.  Also shows what my data pool looks like billed to the primary line.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 Attachments

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

Also, if you notice the installment indicates what device is financed.  If you have installments on both tablet and the S6, you would show 2 installment payments.

I promise, I'm not trying to beat a dead horse.  If someone pulled a fast one, you should have some recourse.  I'm just trying to figure out what was done.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

i don't know what happened or why it happened but i checked my balance earlier this afternoon and they credited all the money i had paid towards the tablet in nxt instalments.  considering what the last manager said i had no expectations of this happening.  i'm still going over every bill with a microscope from now on.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

Fantastic!  And good idea - always.  And read before you sign too. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm not understanding why it costs $10 a month to do the same thing a kindle or nook dies. What is special our different about a tablet and why did it need its own line if I can't even make calls through it on its own line? I have to q pair it to an existing line I'm already paying for.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

@lpzgrn

the tablet has a cellular connection for data and can use Skype or vibe right for calls.  A kindle cannot...

The 3 G kindle is limited to email and kindle purchase. 

An LTE tablet gas full web access, web surfing, games, etc....

I am using such a tablet now.   In fact I almost never use my computer anymore.

Depending on which tablet you have, it may have NumberSync capabilities, which means it can work as a back up  for your phone.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

AT&T got me with this scam as well.  The cellular place gave me a hard sell about my free tablet.  I even declined at first but they were all like, "Why wouldn't you want a free tablet.  This tablet is completely free".  I'm sure it boarders on illegal how they sold it. 

I did call AT&T in a fury about this and they got rid of the setup fees but I'm stuck with the $10 a month over a tablet I didn't want and only took because the salesman shoved it down my throat while constantly saying, "It's free." 

Even better, when I called AT&T they said they never heard of this before and that there's no free tablet. 

I filed a complaint against the store and soon, when my contract's up, I'm leaving AT&T.  I can't abide by dishonest business practices.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

@ionian

If you had read all the papers before you signed them, you would have know you signed a 2 year agreement for the tablet.

Yes, some sales people are underhanded.  

But it is your job to either read legal documents before signing (or bring a lawyer to do it for you.)

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Well, the fact remains that if multiple people have been stung by this then clearly something is going on that's not on the level. 

The fact that I need to worry so much about the fine print and/or should bring a lawyer to make sure I'm not getting scammed tells me all I need to know about doing business with AT&T.  

It's a shame, I've been with them for years and never saw them act like this before.  I'm not sure what's causing it or if it's just a money grab but it's really sad behavior.  

I'm upgrading my cell phone, not negotiating a business deal.  I shouldn't need a lawyer to read my contract.  

Like I said, AT&T can be happy that they got one over on me for the tablet.  They wont the battle, but they lost the war.  It's the last money they're getting from me and as soon as everything's all paid off, I'm leaving.  

I don't need to do business with a company where scamming short term money is more important than long term customer loyalty.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.