Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
theimortal1974's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, November 30th, 2015 6:01 AM

being charge for a FREE tablet

i went to an att kiosk on may 15th 2015.  i told them i wanted a tablet.  they said if you get a samsung s6 you would get a free samsung tablet.  i had to give up my iphone to do it.  6 months later i see on my bill that they have been charging me a monthly installment for my FREE tablet.  i chatted with someone online and they  made a case and looked into it admitting that it was a mistake and it should be free.  a month later there is still another charge on the free tablet.  i call and they tell me the case was closed and not only will not refund the money they fraudulently took but the will keep taking money.  they deny there ever was a free tablet.  finally i talk to a manager and she was all nice and understanding and said she would look into it.  tonight i look at my bill and i was charged 209.99 (the remaining balance on my free tablet) all at once AND it was past due.  

i talked to a manager and he said there is no such thing as a free tablet.  the manager i talked to lied to me to get me off the phone.

am beyond *** right now.  att is not getting a single *** dime from me.  they can take it to a collection agency.  if i ever find proof that i was promised a free tablet i will [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Same thing happened to me they did it so they could get a commission. I had no idea that it had a one gigabyte plan and the first month my kids played on it like crazy and when the bill came in it was a whopping $1100!!!!! I made over 20 phone calls after being put on hold on teen times disconnected and several employees telling me they couldn't help me. We've been with Singulair for 15 years and I have never been so disgusted in my life the case review they refunded all the charges but $280 and I'm still fighting to get that off.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

@KeldaL 

There is no commission on free tablets.  There is no commission period.  They have sales quotas 

That's over 70 gigs overage.  And 70 overage notifications sent to your phone.   Most people would have taken the tablet away with the first alert.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

I don't understand, this was the whole basis for the cell industry for years. Get a "free" phone if you commit to two years. Why don't people think the rules are the dams for a "free" tablet?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Several reasons...

1. We had been doing business with AT&T for years, not having anything
to do with cellular service. We have home phone, internet, and
television.

2. We trusted them.

3. This will be hard for many to comprehend, but I (and millions of
other people) didn't even know tablets could be connected and used as
a cell phone.

4. When the savvy little salesgirl insisted I accept the free tablet,
it was presented as a gift for doing business with AT&T. Nay, even as
a gift I could GIVE to someone for Christmas, if I chose! There was
absolutely NO MENTION of adding cellular service as part of our AT&T
package. Not one word.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

How old is the saying " beware of Greeks baring gifts"?   Over 2,000 years.  Goes back to the story of the Trojan horse.  

There is no freebies from a for profit company, there is ALWAYS a catch.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I've been suckered twice. (PT Barnum would've loved me) The first one quit working and so it was sent into the manufacturer for repair and when it was finally returned, it still didn't work. Thankfully I had a warranty That paid that off...and I got a "free tablet" at my local AT&T store. I was so happy. And guess what? The charging port on that 2nd one broke only a month or two after I received it, and it cost too much even with the warranty to replace.That free tablet has been billed to me monthly and will continue to be for another year and a half or so...and it lies broken in one of my dresser drawers. And my bills from AT&T? sometimes are so escalated and of course the explanations I never understand

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

Same here!. I wanted to lower my overall bills so I bundled with AT&T. The local office near me handled it. Not happy at all with what they did not tell me. Tried to keep my home phone number as att issued me a new one. No less than 10 calls to 611 and they could not help me, kept transferring me to someone else who had no clue. Finally just kept my Spectrum service for the landline, that only took about 60 seconds for Spectrum to do that. I ended up with a very high initial fee for bundling which was not put up front during my visit to att. I am stuck with a two year contract for Wi-Fi internet only ( they didn't mention this at the att store, although I found out later that even they are using Spectrum in their office). DUH!. I will not forget this! 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

OMG!!! This same thing happened to be. I was buying a S7 edge. This is off topic, bit while I'm venting: the S7 Edge had a touch screen flaw. if the phone was laying flat on my desk, the texting got all messed up and wouldn't work. I bought while training in Washington, but by the time I figured out the problem I was back in Delaware. I took the phone in and they said I needed to take it to the store I bought it from. I explained the plane ticket would cost more than the phone... (the guy chuckled and said, "well there's the solution... buy a new phone). After trying to talk to the store manager there, for way beyond my lunch break, I left and called customer servic. After threatening to leave and them almost letting me, I got some at the store to speak to me. once I got to the store, which took another week, the manager there said at&amp;t wouldn't fix it or exchange it because it had been more than ”2 weeks”. then Said I had to go through Samsung... so... I called Samsung and they sent me to Best Buy to see a Samsung technician. he looked at the phone and said I needed to send it back to AT&amp;T, and they should exchange it or repair it... he even got a Samsung rep to explain it to me... SO... went BACK to the ATT store, got Samsung rep, ATT (telephone) manager, and ATT store manager all on the phone together. FINALLY the store agreed they would take care of the repairs. I said thank you and gave em the phone. He took it to the back and waited for them to bring me a temporary replacement. After 20 minutes I asked the manager what the hold up was and then he explained they don't offer loaner phones. I explained that I had recently relocated from about 1500 miles and simply couldn't be with out a phone. After much debate (and I don't even know where he had one of these at) but he offered me a flip-phone of sorts. At this point I had had it. I'd been nice and respectful, but to have this be the resolution while I waited "6 to 8 weeks for tests/ repair to be made”... I BLEW MY TOP. Told them I just wanted my money or my phone back. They brought me the phone (of course). I made a big enough seen in the store while I had them unlock my phone, which cost me almost $900 to pay off the phone and it still didn't work. Finally after almost a week, I left and went to cri***†. Which I found out ATT had bought out. 1 month after they acquired them, they changed the unlimited plan I had to an unlimited plan the slows to 3G speed after 22Gs of data. But it's still better than ATT and their ridiculous plans (I never understood why the charged me $100 for my rate plan, then another $30 to USE the rate plan. Isn't that double dipping? It's like my cable company saying I can get showtime for $40 a month, but I have to pay and extra $10 for each person who watches it!!!! It's ridiculous!!!<br>And once all the crap was done they sent me a bill for the 'free' Samsung tablet for like $350. Which I never did but can't use on anything bit ATT because they didn't unlock it... After all that s4¡† they won't even unlock the darn tablet. Im with the insect company now still. The coverage isn't want I really want, but I'm paying about $75 a month for unlimited data, up to 22g, but I get slowed to 3G. which is still better than paying $140/ month for similar plan with ATT and getting slowed to 2G speeds; After being a customer for 25 years and frustrated the entire time with poor customer service, I hope the ATT customers out there will see the light and force these as holes to stop screwing everyone. It should be against the law.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Hoss9264   ATT didn't build the phone and do not provide the warranty.  

Within the first 14 days you can exchange a defective phone.  If you did not buy from an ATT company store, you have to deal with the retailer.  After 14 days it becomes a warranty issue.  If you are an ATT customer they can do a warranty exchange for you for free.   

Darn right they won't fix it or replace it, it's not ATTs problem.  It's between you and the manufacturer.  

Carriers don't provider loaner phones, also up to you to deal with.

Cricket doesn't provide any device support, which is why they and other prepaid are cheaper and the big 4 are getting cheaper.   The big carriers have been enabling the US market with subsidized phones since conception.  It has made the US one of the most expensive markets in the world.  By separating service from phones, the costs have decreased.  

Get with the program.   Phones are your responsibility, not the carriers.  

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

More like get out of the program! Thanks, I think?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.