Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
kshusker's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Friday, December 27th, 2013 1:48 AM

NVG589 randomly rebooting every couple days

Got upgrade to the new 45/6 speed last week, and with it came a new Motorola NVG589.

Been very pleased with the speeds and line stability so far (very few errors), but what I am not pleased with is that every couple days, the NVG589 spontaneously reboots itself. This is annoying when you lose internet randomly for 5 minutes or so while it reconnects, I gotta imagine this would be awful for TV viewers (we just have internet, no TV) - so I can't imagine this is widespread, but, who knows...

I just set up the syslog facility to log to my local PC so I can capture any relevant log entries prior to the unexpected reboots.

I am running firmware 9.1.0h4d38

I have the router configured "normally" (i.e. using it for routing, DHCP, and WLAN, with a couple dozen pinholes; i.e. it's not in bridge mode or anything like that.)

In the meantime while I wait for the next reboot, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with an NVG589 and if so, what the solution was.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

8 years ago

For me, there were two things that fix it for me.

It turns out that the router was in a closet that also had a breaker box. One time I heard some clicking just before the router rebooted. Move it out of the closet and that fix a lot of the problem.

There is also a situation with the batteries. You are probably using either the internal battery or the big grey box they send out with it. Get rid of both of those and buy a UPS that will be able to also support a computer long enough to email the power company.

These two changed fixed my problem completely. One caveat. When you first get your router, it will reboot a few times over the next week or two while updating its firmware.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

My router is in the open and I have no battery as I got rid of the VIP. I also have it plugged directly into a GUIDE circuit along with my computer and TV. Thanks

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

8 years ago

Dang. Ok, I have one more suggestion.

After I complained so many times and had them come out a few times, I told them they really needed to fix it.

So their offer was to give me one of the dual band routers, with double the speed, for only $8 more a month. Actually, they didn’t even tell me they were going to raise my payment and I noticed it on the bill. I called and the person said that I might not want to complain because normally it would cost a lot more.

Since I doubled my bandwidth for $8, and it quit rebooting all of the time, I am reasonably happy for now. Of course they will mess with my bill again as they always do and I will have to renegotiate something, but I am getting better and better at that each year.

Good luck.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.