Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
kshusker's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Friday, December 27th, 2013 1:48 AM

NVG589 randomly rebooting every couple days

Got upgrade to the new 45/6 speed last week, and with it came a new Motorola NVG589.

Been very pleased with the speeds and line stability so far (very few errors), but what I am not pleased with is that every couple days, the NVG589 spontaneously reboots itself. This is annoying when you lose internet randomly for 5 minutes or so while it reconnects, I gotta imagine this would be awful for TV viewers (we just have internet, no TV) - so I can't imagine this is widespread, but, who knows...

I just set up the syslog facility to log to my local PC so I can capture any relevant log entries prior to the unexpected reboots.

I am running firmware 9.1.0h4d38

I have the router configured "normally" (i.e. using it for routing, DHCP, and WLAN, with a couple dozen pinholes; i.e. it's not in bridge mode or anything like that.)

In the meantime while I wait for the next reboot, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with an NVG589 and if so, what the solution was.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

8 years ago

Has anyone ever found a solution to the rebooting problem with the NVG589?  We've had the same issue for six years.  The modem reboots multiple times each day.  Every cable from the end of our street right up to the modem has been replaced.  No improvement.  May neighbors in the area have the same problem.  ATT is no help.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@Ratzkiwatzki   We didn't know it then, but now we know disabling IPv6 usually stops those reboots.

On all Uverse RGs, IPv6 causes disconnects, rebooting and browsing problems (Internet).

Disable IPv6 in all Uverse RGs info here:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Equipment/Slow-connection-using-Google-Facebook-and-certain-sites-after/m-p/3860323#M382

Make sure to also disable IPv6 in Win local area and wireless connection properties.

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

8 years ago

I have done three things and i believe the last one was the most important.  Replace the grey battery backup with a normal transformer and plug that into your own UPS.  Disable IP6.  At this point though, I was still getting reboots.  I moved the RG to another location which turns out was away from a lot of electrical interference like a breaker box and other electronics.  Now it sits by itself on a desk.  It hasn't rebooted since.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

8 years ago

@mibrnsurg Does this solution work on NGV589 modems? Does disabling IPV6 have any side effects?  And if this is the solution, why doesn't ATT tell everyone?  I've wasted years having techs come out to no avail.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@Ratzkiwatzki   Yes, click the link, goes to 599, 589 and 510 info. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

8 years ago

@mibrnsurg Thanks. But why is not using the lastest internet protocol considered a "solution"?  Shouldn't the modems work on the latest technology?  Are they defective?  What other effects does disabling IPV6 have?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

8 years ago

It's not so much a solution as a work around.  AT&T has not acknowledged that its gateways have an issue with IPv6.  However, turning it off has made many customer's gateways stop rebooting.  One day we may hear from AT&T that they've fixed the issue.  But today is not likely to be that day.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

8 years ago

We tried turning off IPV6. Modem still reboots. This has been going on for years. They now suggest a different modem, 5268AC. Anybody have any experience with this? Did it help? New problems?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I had my NVG589 replaced 2 months ago because of reboots. They continued. I called AT&T and they insisted there was something wrong with the router so they sent a new one out. Within 1 day it rebooted. I'm trying to tell them it's an external issue. They ran a new cat cable and replaced and rewired the box on the outside of the house 2 months ago..

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

8 years ago

For me, there were two things that fix it for me.

It turns out that the router was in a closet that also had a breaker box. One time I heard some clicking just before the router rebooted. Move it out of the closet and that fix a lot of the problem.

There is also a situation with the batteries. You are probably using either the internal battery or the big grey box they send out with it. Get rid of both of those and buy a UPS that will be able to also support a computer long enough to email the power company.

These two changed fixed my problem completely. One caveat. When you first get your router, it will reboot a few times over the next week or two while updating its firmware.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.