Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
kshusker's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Friday, December 27th, 2013 1:48 AM

NVG589 randomly rebooting every couple days

Got upgrade to the new 45/6 speed last week, and with it came a new Motorola NVG589.

Been very pleased with the speeds and line stability so far (very few errors), but what I am not pleased with is that every couple days, the NVG589 spontaneously reboots itself. This is annoying when you lose internet randomly for 5 minutes or so while it reconnects, I gotta imagine this would be awful for TV viewers (we just have internet, no TV) - so I can't imagine this is widespread, but, who knows...

I just set up the syslog facility to log to my local PC so I can capture any relevant log entries prior to the unexpected reboots.

I am running firmware 9.1.0h4d38

I have the router configured "normally" (i.e. using it for routing, DHCP, and WLAN, with a couple dozen pinholes; i.e. it's not in bridge mode or anything like that.)

In the meantime while I wait for the next reboot, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with an NVG589 and if so, what the solution was.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I have had the same issues with the RG rebooting randomly, sometimes 3X's in 20 minutes.  I am going to try disabling the wireless.  AT&T support is/was useless!!!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

So far no reboots that I know of....  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am having the same problem that started back in Feb and as of today June 17 still having it. I have had many techs come out and replaced the modem and the internal battery. Today they replaced the port on the main box and replaced the DVR. He was saying that there is showing errors on the outside on line 1 and he was going to create a ticket for someone to come and clean the line. I just took down the wireless, per the earlier note to try. did that fix your problem since last month? I am wondering if they replace the cables coming to DVR with Ethernet if that will fix the problem. That is my next step. any other ideas? Please help!!!!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

There are power source issues that often are a problem.
My NVG589 has a good internal battery and an excellent power source.

I have also tried disabling IPV6 and the NVG589 Wireless, but that did not help me. 

Nevertheless, I get NVG589 random reboots on my bonded service.
The service technician did not have any clues when he looked at my problem.
He simply replaces my NVG589, but the random reboots continue (about once every 7-14 days).
The logs are not useful, either.

This is a thread talking about it:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29255016-NVG589-reboots-for-no-apparent-reason.

Following the discussion on DSLReports seems more useful than the discussions here.

My bonded lines have different SN margins and I suspect that this is my problem.

I am hoping that a firmware update will address this issue.

The NVG589 needs to be robust enough to not reset, or at least log something first! 
I will keep asking ATT to look at my lines and perhaps find a technician who can make a difference.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

This is total crap for service!  after disabling wifi it was stable for a few weeks... now the reboots are back.  called and they are a sending a tech out to replace the RG... it is just B-S that no one knows what is wrong or that there are  a lot of folks having this issue. 

again, this all started when I switched to the NVG589 with bonded pair service 45mg.  I have 3 STBs, 2 are cat 5 and 1 is wireless.  Good power source and internal battery.  There is nothing in the logs on the RG to identify the reboot.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Really nice tech was out today!  He thinks that I'm too close to the VRAD and it gets "hot" and bounces. He added a spool of 700 ft of line to put me out further.  Also suggested that since I have 67mg per line (120+mg capped at 45), drop one pair, factory reset the modem, and come up on one line.  He says 45mg service does not require bonded pair.  ???  I hope this info helps and I will keep you posted as events develope.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

So far so good.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

opps! spoke too soon,  reboots are back

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am having the problem.   I upgraded to the 45m service and have had nothing but problems.

So far:

All STB's are on Cat 5

Coax is disabled and not connected

New wiring in DSLAM

Changed wire pair out in back of my house

New drop

New box on the back of my house

New wiring in my house

New DVR

Added Filters as I am less than 100' from the VRAD and DSLAM

Problem continues.   Every few hours the NVG 589 drops everything and reboots and the log shows no DSL signal and says the DNS servers can't be reached.  The box reboots itself and works again for a few hours and the cycle repeats

I even offered to use a Cisco 2851 router with a VDSL HWIC card I'm told I can't do that.

anyone else have any ideas why this keeps happening?

I called in again today and they are mailing out a new NVG 589 RG.   If the problem remains it will be another service call and missed day of work.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I cannot say my issue is resolved, but after the last visit, this are better.  They swapped ports on the VRAD, called a line tech to remove a bridge-tap, and ensured the line noise between the two pairs is close as possible.  They have even added a spool of about 700ft of wire to my line in the basement before the RG to make me further from the VRAD as they suspected I was too close at about 300ft.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.