Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
kshusker's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Friday, December 27th, 2013 1:48 AM

NVG589 randomly rebooting every couple days

Got upgrade to the new 45/6 speed last week, and with it came a new Motorola NVG589.

Been very pleased with the speeds and line stability so far (very few errors), but what I am not pleased with is that every couple days, the NVG589 spontaneously reboots itself. This is annoying when you lose internet randomly for 5 minutes or so while it reconnects, I gotta imagine this would be awful for TV viewers (we just have internet, no TV) - so I can't imagine this is widespread, but, who knows...

I just set up the syslog facility to log to my local PC so I can capture any relevant log entries prior to the unexpected reboots.

I am running firmware 9.1.0h4d38

I have the router configured "normally" (i.e. using it for routing, DHCP, and WLAN, with a couple dozen pinholes; i.e. it's not in bridge mode or anything like that.)

In the meantime while I wait for the next reboot, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with an NVG589 and if so, what the solution was.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

I have had the nvg589 for at least a year.  I have the 9.1.0h12d22 firmware.  Even though it is a bonded pair router, I am only using one of the pairs.  I have a vera home automation device as one of the connections and when the router restarts then that system quits working so I know when the restarts occur.      These restarts only started happening about a week ago.

The router is plugged into a belkin battery backup, and the internal battery is in place.  While I was trying to investigate the issue, i remembered one of the techs stating that we were not supposed to be using the internal battery if we were using the belkin battery.  Last night I removed the internal battery and it hasn't rebooted in 12 hours.  I was going to call att on Monday (tomorrow) but thought I would try the battery thing first to eliminate that from the discussion tomorrow.  

This is a huge problem for me since all of my home automation and security features are disabled until I reset my vera device and the second router that I am using as a bridge.  Since I can't remotely reset my vera device and the bridge, then I can be without this service for any time that I am away on trips.  

To me, the key issues are that it only recently started, a tech had mentioned the internal battery, and nothing else in the wiring closet has changed in months.  If anyone has any more ideas or a recommended router to request from  att, I would be grateful.  I will have to leave uverse if I can't fix this because I have let home automation take over the operation of my home.  Thanks

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

We're also having a similar issue. It started mid-december, at the time we had a 2wire router. They replaced it with another identical 2wire which had the same problem. Next they switched to the NVG589, which didn't solve the problem either. a couple weeks ago they moved us to a different port in the box at the end of the street, that actually seemed to fix the problem for almost 2 weeks, then yesterday our NVG589 reset at least 4 times, and today it's done it at least twice.
They're coming out tomorrow, i'm not sure what's next in troubleshooting this issue.
If we were just losing service and it was coming back, that would be one thing, but the router is actually rebooting.
Any ideas what could cause that?  the only thing i've changed is the SSID.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

I'm having the same problem. It started about the same time-frame as yours. They replaced the modem with another 2-wire modem, same problem. Calling to complain again tomorrow

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

Just reporting back on my issue.  I removed the internal battery and this seemed to fix the problem, but then it returned.  I was going on a trip and didn't want it to fail while I was away, so i put the internal battery back in the router and it hasn't rebooted in a while.  I called ATT over a week ago and they said they were sending me a new router and I am more than upset that I still don't have it.  However, it doesn't sound like that will fix the problem.  I just wanted to report on the internal battery story in case anyone has tried it or wants to.  Also, most of the time when it reboots, it fails to restart the telephone and sometimes the broadband doesn't restart correctly.  

I guess the next question is who do i use if i decide to replace uverse?

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

Apologies, I shouldn't reply first thing in the morning.  I did reinsert the battery but I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to talk my wife though manually resetting it while i was on a trip to i removed it.  I seem to remember that it did reboot at least once while the battery was back in the unit.  So, i had removed the battery and the router has not rebooted in over 8 days.  I believe that 8 days is also the time since I called ATT and they said they ran some tests and mailed a router that I haven't received.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I started having this problem about 2 months ago. They fond a problem on my line and dug up my yard! Replaced the modem/router as well. Still have about 1 reboot each day. I am very close to changing to another provider at this point.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

Update.  Called ATT on January 23 to talk to tech people.  They said they were sending me a new router.  On Feb 2, I called back to ask when I would be getting the router.  They said that I had actually ordered it on January 29 and it would be here Feb 2 at night, or Feb 3 morning.  I talked to customer retention for a while and they offered to send a tech to my house on Feb 3.  Before I say what happened then, I must point out that I did receive a router on Feb 3, but it was shipped on Feb 2.  In other words, they have been completely lying to me the whole time.  

The tech came and immediately noticed that my router was using one of those grey power supplies as the power source.  He said that is the problem and converted me to another router, the 3801HGV.  This router does not have an internal batter and it is supposed to use the grey power supply.  I spent the next day resetting my ip addresses and ports and trying to get it back up to speed with my home automation.  It has now been up for 2 days and 13 hours.  

With my automation system, and my dependence upon it when I am away from home, I could not even survive a reboot once per day.  It seems like ATT should see a pattern of a major problem starting in December and fix it.  My tech was very nice and professional and I expect i will be seeing him again.  But for now, it is working.  You cannot use the grey batter on this router, you must plug it directly into the wall.  And I suspect that also means that you also cannot plug it into a UPS.  

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

Just for INFO:

I've been using the 3801 router for nearly 3 years with no reboots- and then Mid December 2014 rolls in and I started getting daily reboots, tech replaced with another 3801- i still have daily reboots. The big question we all share is " what freakin changed recently to cause all this chaos"? 

Dirt

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks Dirt.  You are spot on with that assessment.  I suppose if we call tech support and have someone come out every day until they give it the attention it deserves then they might see a problem.  I doubt that several people leaving ATT will have any impact.  My problem started in December as well.  At the same time, i doubt that most people even know it when their router reboots because they are accustomed to intermittent bad service anyway.  I am discouraged that this is happening with the 3801 as well.  I guess it is a good thing that I haven't gone all in and subscribed to their home alert and automation plans.  

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

I think calling in everyday like you said is our only chance of getting this resolved or find another broadband service. I read on another post to where someone disabled their wifi and used another router to handle that and it fixed their problem. (sounded possible)

I admit I have 17 devices using wifi and 1 PC using a lan port. I happen to have another router laying around that I used when I had good service with just DSL(no reboots ever).

I disabled my wifi in the 3801 and I'm using my spare router to handle all 17 devices for wifi-unfortunately that suggestion did not work for me,my router(3801) rebooted twice yesterday.

I'm gonna start calling AT&T daily starting today- I will keep everyone posted on the results.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.