For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
vhfan52's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, April 21st, 2019 3:39 AM

Closed

S8 Active Android 9/Pie update

Will the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active be upgraded to Android 9.0? I dont mind waiting for the update. I just want to know yes or no.

Thanks 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@luisdavidjc1 wrote:

If this were the case (that Galaxy S8 Active users must be connected to the AT & T cellular network to receive OTA Pie / 9) then there would be thousands of videos posted on YouTube of people making reviews about this "new update" for the S8 Activate that it is not known if it will certainly come to light. At the moment I am resigned and hoping that someone is interested in buying my Galaxy S8 Active to get the S9 / S9 + (international version) to avoid these frustrations in the future.

@luisdavidjc1 

*IF* you have an ATT version, then it must be updated with an ATT ROM; any other carriers' (or unlocked) can "brick" the device.  The same holds true for the other carrier variant(s). 

For most carriers, like ATT, this requires that you be connected to their cellular network, to get the OTA updates.  There are thousands of posts, from people who bought ATT versions of various Android devices, and are now unable to update, after returning/moving to another country, for example.

There are (significantly more technical) ways around this, but they're way beyond the scope of this forum.

Be VERY careful buying an "international version", as these are often advertised as such, but are actually "carrier versions" of the device.  I'd ask lots of very specific questions, before purchasing.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

Actually these phones like the s8 and s9 are universal one rom works for all the big 4 carriers

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 Thanks for the assist here, I guess I haven't been tracking ROM versions for the these, as closely as previously.

You're saying they all use the same ROM, but differing provisioning then?  

Would it still be "blocked", by the provisioning/IMS, if they simply connect via WiFi, and try to update?

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

5 years ago

ATT has just about stopped even Security updates for the ATT S8 Active. I just got the May update on my T Mobile S8 Active but my ATT phone has not updated in a few months.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

Yeah, they're definitely not moving "fast" on the "Active models", they never have, I think because it's a low-volume model, my guess anyway.

February was the last patch: https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1223303/Samsung/SamsungG892A/

(edited)

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Samsung desks at bestbuy dont exist.  Stop suggesting them.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

5 years ago

I believe they still have Samsung Experience in Best Buy but they no longer have ROMS to upgrade your OS

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@rpiplica wrote:

I believe they still have Samsung Experience in Best Buy but they no longer have ROMS to upgrade your OS

@rpiplica 

you are correct.  But some still have full service people..  Not many but some.  Ubreakifix is Samsungs new repair partner...

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

5 years ago

I have not even gotten a security update since March. My T-Mobile S8 has gotten monthly

Guru

• 

321 Messages

5 years ago

Received the pie update today!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.