For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
KylaJo's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 6:57 PM

Unlock code for my Samsung Galaxy S8

I bought my Samsung Galaxy S8 through Samsung itself and it says it is locked to AT&T network. I called AT&T and they told me to go to the unlock website and it tells me:
"The IMEI you entered does not appear to be an AT&T wireless phone or tablet. Please re-enter the correct 15-digit IMEI number for your AT&T wireless phone or tablet. You can obtain the IMEI number from the wireless phone by dialing *#06# ".
I was told to post this problem here and request an unlock code.
Thank you for your time.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Information for unlocking your device can be found here.  However, if your reason for unlocking your Galaxy S8 is that you do not intend to use it on the AT&T network, and did not purchase it with that intent, then your best option would be to return the device and get one that will work properly on your network of choice.  There is no guarantee that a carrier branded phone, even after being carrier unlocked, will function properly on a different carrier. 

(edited)

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

The same thing happened to me. After spending 1 day (without any success) trying to get it unlocked by AT&T, I managed to get an unlock code from a website and it worked like a charm.

[Third party link removed per Guidelines]

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Vlase2 wrote:

The same thing happened to me. After spending 1 day (without any success) trying to get it unlocked by AT&T, I managed to get an unlock code from a website and it worked like a charm.

OK, so now that you have paid to get your phone carrier-unlocked, what advantage have you gained?  The bootloader is still locked and will remain locked, so there's no advantage there.  Sure, you can move the phone to another carrier where it may very well not function at its optimum, and it will never receive another OTA update because it can only do so when connected to the AT&T network. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the information. I have a request into AT&T right now for an unlock code. If that doesn't work I'll try that website.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

The advantage is that if you travel outside the US to Europe like I do, then you can swap SIM cards when you arrive in that country.  Just because you don't do it doesn't mean that other people don't have valid reasons to do so.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@MinnBug wrote:

The advantage is that if you travel outside the US to Europe like I do, then you can swap SIM cards when you arrive in that country.  Just because you don't do it doesn't mean that other people don't have valid reasons to do so.

I travel outside the country; however, I do not swap SIM cards nor do I change phones or add anything to my plan.  So, you're right, I don't have that problem.  

In your circumstances, I can see why it could be an advantage to carrier unlock your phone.  Where it's not an advantage, for example, is when someone visiting from another country purchases a very expensive AT&T branded smartphone under the impression that once it's carrier unlocked, it will work exactly the same in their home country as it would in the United States, and for the most part it may be fine.  However, almost all AT&T branded phones (including Samsung) are dependent upon AT&T for OTA updates, therefore, without an active AT&T SIM card, and a connection to the AT&T network, no updates will be possible. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

What website?

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Mine does not work either. I called AT&T and they have NO IDEA how phones work. I bought mine off contract full retail price from Best Buy, they kept asking for the phone number on the phone... Now they tell me it's not an AT&T device... Even though box says AT&T and the AT&T SIM card was included in the box... I'm speechless.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Please what is the link?

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

7 years ago

Many people need to travel internationally and need to have the phone unlocked to get a foreign sim and number. They are happy with ATT domestically.. ATT loves to give the run around on unlocking phones particularly under contract. This used to not be the case.I would recommend talking to someone in customer retention. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.