Pre-order the new Google Pixel 7, Google Pixel 7 Pro and new Google Pixel Watch - Online Now!
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4
KylaJo's profile
KylaJo
#1 Star!
Helpful 1

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sat, Apr 22, 2017 6:57 PM

Unlock code for my Samsung Galaxy S8

I bought my Samsung Galaxy S8 through Samsung itself and it says it is locked to AT&T network. I called AT&T and they told me to go to the unlock website and it tells me:
"The IMEI you entered does not appear to be an AT&T wireless phone or tablet. Please re-enter the correct 15-digit IMEI number for your AT&T wireless phone or tablet. You can obtain the IMEI number from the wireless phone by dialing *#06# ".
I was told to post this problem here and request an unlock code.
Thank you for your time.
Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

Il y a 5 y

Information for unlocking your device can be found here.  However, if your reason for unlocking your Galaxy S8 is that you do not intend to use it on the AT&T network, and did not purchase it with that intent, then your best option would be to return the device and get one that will work properly on your network of choice.  There is no guarantee that a carrier branded phone, even after being carrier unlocked, will function properly on a different carrier. 

(edited)

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Il y a 5 y

The same thing happened to me. After spending 1 day (without any success) trying to get it unlocked by AT&T, I managed to get an unlock code from a website and it worked like a charm.

[Third party link removed per Guidelines]

Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

Il y a 5 y

@Vlase2 wrote:

The same thing happened to me. After spending 1 day (without any success) trying to get it unlocked by AT&T, I managed to get an unlock code from a website and it worked like a charm.

OK, so now that you have paid to get your phone carrier-unlocked, what advantage have you gained?  The bootloader is still locked and will remain locked, so there's no advantage there.  Sure, you can move the phone to another carrier where it may very well not function at its optimum, and it will never receive another OTA update because it can only do so when connected to the AT&T network. 

KylaJo

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Il y a 5 y

Thanks for the information. I have a request into AT&T right now for an unlock code. If that doesn't work I'll try that website.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Il y a 5 y

The advantage is that if you travel outside the US to Europe like I do, then you can swap SIM cards when you arrive in that country.  Just because you don't do it doesn't mean that other people don't have valid reasons to do so.

Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

Il y a 5 y

@MinnBug wrote:

The advantage is that if you travel outside the US to Europe like I do, then you can swap SIM cards when you arrive in that country.  Just because you don't do it doesn't mean that other people don't have valid reasons to do so.

I travel outside the country; however, I do not swap SIM cards nor do I change phones or add anything to my plan.  So, you're right, I don't have that problem.  

In your circumstances, I can see why it could be an advantage to carrier unlock your phone.  Where it's not an advantage, for example, is when someone visiting from another country purchases a very expensive AT&T branded smartphone under the impression that once it's carrier unlocked, it will work exactly the same in their home country as it would in the United States, and for the most part it may be fine.  However, almost all AT&T branded phones (including Samsung) are dependent upon AT&T for OTA updates, therefore, without an active AT&T SIM card, and a connection to the AT&T network, no updates will be possible. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Il y a 5 y

What website?
Yuneshik

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 5 y

Mine does not work either. I called AT&T and they have NO IDEA how phones work. I bought mine off contract full retail price from Best Buy, they kept asking for the phone number on the phone... Now they tell me it's not an AT&T device... Even though box says AT&T and the AT&T SIM card was included in the box... I'm speechless.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Il y a 5 y

Please what is the link?
Stagnasty

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

Il y a 5 y

Many people need to travel internationally and need to have the phone unlocked to get a foreign sim and number. They are happy with ATT domestically.. ATT loves to give the run around on unlocking phones particularly under contract. This used to not be the case.I would recommend talking to someone in customer retention. 

KylaJo

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Il y a 5 y

So I finally got a hold of someone with At&T that knew what they were doing when it comes to this type of situation. I was told that it takes 14 days from the date of purchase for the IMEI number to show up in there system, but after the 14 days the phone will be available for unlock on their website.

www.att.com/deviceunlock

I was promised that after the 14 days are up the phone will be able to be unlock through the website, as long as it meets all the requirements. (Like not being stolen)

I ordered my phone through Samsung direct and they only have a 14 day return policy, so that sucks. I have decided to return the phone to Samsung and ordered the unlocked version in May. I was told by Samsung themselves that the unlocked version will be out in May. Yes, this definitely sucks that I will have to wait even longer, but I think it will be worth it in the end since the whole locked to a network thing is such a pain. I figure if you buy a phone outright then you should have the right to do whatever you want with it, especially when the phone costs almost a grand. Anyways that is all. I hope this helped everyone with their issues.

P.S. For everyone asking for the link that I posted about using, it was mentioned in Vlase2's post and it looks like someone reported it and it was removed. Because the website was removed I do not know the link.

Yuneshik

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 5 y

If that is true, then that is ridiculous because my return ends within 14 days too.

Well, it looks like I'm avoiding AT&T from now on, whether locked or not. Apparently you can't get OTA updates without having an active AT&T SIM card in the slot. Not even through Wi-Fi. I've had other carriers like Sprint and T-Mobile and I was able to update without needing their active SIM or needing to be on their network... And could any time I've wanted.

For the money we've paid for our own product, this is all such irrational, unnecessary pain in the rear.

Lilybell2

ACE - Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

Il y a 5 y

@KylaJo wrote:

I ordered my phone through Samsung direct and they only have a 14 day return policy, so that sucks. I have decided to return the phone to Samsung and ordered the unlocked version in May. I was told by Samsung themselves that the unlocked version will be out in May. Yes, this definitely sucks that I will have to wait even longer, but I think it will be worth it in the end since the whole locked to a network thing is such a pain. I figure if you buy a phone outright then you should have the right to do whatever you want with it, especially when the phone costs almost a grand. Anyways that is all. I hope this helped everyone with their issues.

@KylaJo  Just a caveat regarding bringing an unlocked phone to AT&T... it is possible that your unlocked Android phone may not have all the features enabled that are enabled on the AT&T branded locked version.  I realize that doesn't make sense, but take a look at this topic to get a general overview. 

Yuneshik

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 5 y

I DID IT...

Alright so, when I called, I kept getting asked by AT&T support for my phone number or account number when I told them I don't have one, so I assumed I was out of luck for getting it unlocked until the 14 days mentioned because of what KylaJo mentioned. 

However I found a random 3rd party unlocker online(it was pretty low price) and I was doubtful they could do it because AT&T couldn't, but I was out of options anyway. Lo and behold, I got my unlock code this morning and it worked.... I still can't believe a 3rd party could help me more reliably with absolutely ZERO hassles than AT&T customer service and their technical support themselves. Telling me it's not an AT&T phone -_- I want to give the AT&T technical support lady who was so reluctant it wasn't an AT&T phone and who refused to help me further because of it, a piece of my own mind. My phone is now working perfectly with a non-AT&T sim.

So most of the 3rd party unlockers seem to accept PayPal, and they have decent buyer protection so I'd say go for it. Just google "s8 at&t unlock service" and a few providers will have self-advertised their services in some cellphone forums. I wish I was allowed to just link the one that has helped me so everyone can avoid dealing with this nonsense.

Good luck to the rest of you. Definitely go for a 3rd party if AT&T won't help you.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

Il y a 5 y

@Yuneshik wrote:

I DID IT...

Alright so, when I called, I kept getting asked by AT&T support for my phone number or account number when I told them I don't have one, so I assumed I was out of luck for getting it unlocked until the 14 days mentioned because of what KylaJo mentioned. 

However I found a random 3rd party unlocker online(it was pretty low price) and I was doubtful they could do it because AT&T couldn't, but I was out of options anyway. Lo and behold, I got my unlock code this morning and it worked.... I still can't believe a 3rd party could help me more reliably with absolutely ZERO hassles than AT&T customer service and their technical support themselves. Telling me it's not an AT&T phone -_- I want to give the AT&T technical support lady who was so reluctant it wasn't an AT&T phone and who refused to help me further because of it, a piece of my own mind. My phone is now working perfectly with a non-AT&T sim.

So most of the 3rd party unlockers seem to accept PayPal, and they have decent buyer protection so I'd say go for it. Just google "s8 at&t unlock service" and a few providers will have self-advertised their services in some cellphone forums. I wish I was allowed to just link the one that has helped me so everyone can avoid dealing with this nonsense.

Good luck to the rest of you. Definitely go for a 3rd party if AT&T won't help you.

oh att has the unlock codes but wont unlock devices till after 14day return period.  The reason is they dont want an unlocked phone back.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.