For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
ndponder's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, June 27th, 2016 10:20 PM

Customer Retention doesn't really matter to ATT

I have just spent one hour on the phone with two different "customer" service people with ATT.

I was calling because my elderly mother is on a limited budget and just had her bill increase for Uverse TV and Internet from $95.00/mo to $170.00/mo.

I was asking for any promotional discounts, etc.  It seems that the only discounts are for NEW customers.  Here's a thought ATT - if you would offer discounts to your existing, good paying, long standing customers maybe you wouldn't have to give "BIG" discounts to get NEW customers.

I am so frustrated after spending so much time on the phone and the only way to get the monthly price down was to create a new account in a different name and then take the existing equipment out and return it to a UPS store and wait for a technician to come out with  new equipment and re-install in the same place.

This makes absolutely no sense!!

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

I think they wait to see if they can get the $$$ out of you, a lot of time if you threaten to disconnect and go with another service they will offer a lower rate.

Former Employee

• 

310 Messages

8 years ago

This is a common complaint. Why can't I have my new customer discount forever? Because it's a new customers discount.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

8 years ago

@ndponder wrote:

I have just spent one hour on the phone with two different "customer" service people with ATT.

I was calling because my elderly mother is on a limited budget and just had her bill increase for Uverse TV and Internet from $95.00/mo to $170.00/mo.

I was asking for any promotional discounts, etc.  It seems that the only discounts are for NEW customers.  Here's a thought ATT - if you would offer discounts to your existing, good paying, long standing customers maybe you wouldn't have to give "BIG" discounts to get NEW customers.

I am so frustrated after spending so much time on the phone and the only way to get the monthly price down was to create a new account in a different name and then take the existing equipment out and return it to a UPS store and wait for a technician to come out with  new equipment and re-install in the same place.

This makes absolutely no sense!!

Is it possible your mother could cut back on her service in order to reduce costs? What plan is she currently on? How many set-top boxes does she have?

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

8 years ago

I signed up with U-Verse in 2008, so I think I'm on some "early adopter" list, but I'm able to call the cancellations/retentions office every year and get a money-saving contract. Basically, they give me $30 or $35 or so off per month of both TV and internet if I agree to keep their service for a year. I've heard they're less willing to do this, but I've been doing so for a while.

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Fox Mulder

so, shouldn't a loyal customer get an even better discount?

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

8 years ago

@BayouWoman wrote:

@Fox Mulder

so, shouldn't a loyal customer get an even better discount?

Let's say the price is $100. AT&T says, "If you change service, we'll give you the $100 service for $75 for one year". 

You're suggesting that customers get a price of $50 after that. If that were the case, then the $75 pricing isn't a discount at all. $50 is the "regular price" and the $75 pricing would be more than other's pay. Would you volunteer to purchase $50 service if you had to pay $75 for a year?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:
I signed up with U-Verse in 2008, so I think I'm on some "early adopter" list, but I'm able to call the cancellations/retentions office every year and get a money-saving contract. Basically, they give me $30 or $35 or so off per month of both TV and internet if I agree to keep their service for a year. I've heard they're less willing to do this, but I've been doing so for a while.

Guess what, you were one of the ones that caused this clamp down, ATT realized they were paying $1.224 billion/yr more than DirecTV in monthly costs.  These current customer discounts (they should have gone to all of us) were part of the billion $ figure.

Now best you'd get is the $10/service/mo that's been reported, if they don't hang up on you. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

8 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

@baseballisback wrote:

Guess what, you were one of the ones that caused this clamp down, ATT realized they were paying $1.224 billion/yr more than DirecTV in monthly costs.  These current customer discounts (they should have gone to all of us) were part of the billion $ figure.

Now best you'd get is the $10/service/mo that's been reported, if they don't hang up on you. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Oh well... if they lowered their rates and were more hesistant to give discounts, maybe the situation would be different.

I also live in a very competitive area, so that may come into play. I last called in January and I bet I'll get the same quality service next January.

When I first signed up, I had LOTS of tech visits to replace wiring, etc. I think they flagged my account as some sort of "take care of this guy because he has had so many issues."

Current customer discounts are for anyone who wants to take the time to call in. Some people might be happy with $180 or $220 for service. Me? If I can get the same thing for $115 or $120 (paying $95 about 20 years ago for one analog STB, 72 channels, a paper copy of the program guide and 6.0 Mbps), I'll make the call.

I saw an offer for one month free HD Premium Tier back in September 2015. I called and asked and the phone rep actually gave me a year free HD without me asking. He said something like "Let me see what I can do.....how's a year free of HD?" I took that and when I called back in January, I asked the rep if he could synch up my year of HD with all my other offers...and they were more than happy to do so.... so my year free of HD was essentially extended from September 2016 to Jan 2017.

So maybe my discounts are a number of things, I don't know... all I know is that when I call, they're more than happy to give me discounts.

As for other situations, I can't explain them. All I know is that I haven't paid full "asking price" in quite some time.

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

@MicCheck  it is not uncommon for companies to give loyal customers a discount in order to retain them.  This would prevent things like people leaving for better offers elsewhere, which I am doing.  I really think att would make more money if they cared more about retaining the customers they do have instead of only focusing on getting new ones.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

8 years ago

@BayouWoman wrote:

@MicCheck  it is not uncommon for companies to give loyal customers a discount in order to retain them.  This would prevent things like people leaving for better offers elsewhere, which I am doing.  I really think att would make more money if they cared more about retaining the customers they do have instead of only focusing on getting new ones.

"Loyal" customers don't need discounts. 

If customers who stay get a continual "discount," it's no longer a discount, that's the new regular price. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.