For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
andyjhunter's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, April 8th, 2015 4:05 PM

Invalid number error message when sending text from my iPhone

Ever since I upgraded to an iPhone 5s I get an Error Invalid Number message when sending a text to a phone number that used to work just fine from my 4s. In fact I can receive a text from this number but when I try to reply to that text I get the error message again.

I deleted the contact info in case there was something broken there and I'm trying it with just the raw phone number but without any luck. What can I do? It's my boss's number so it's important I fix this problem.

All other contacts and texts are working just fine, it's just this one phone, a Samsung galaxy on T-mobile if that helps. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @andyjhunter and everyone similarly affected!

We’d like to update you on this situation and offer some help! Some customers are still experiencing failures because the device retained the +11 digits in memory. AT&T and our external partner are investigating. Updates will be provided as soon as they are available.

For iPhone devices:

Connecting an iPhone to a computer via USB could automatically* start the backup process which would overwrite any backup created prior to April 15, 2015. If this occurs, cancel the backup process by clicking the 'X' in the upper-middle portion of the iTunes screen.

1. Check for last backup in iTunes or iCloud 
  2. If prior to 4/15/15 and acceptable, on iPhone tap Settings > General > Reset > Erase All. 
  3. Restore device from an iCloud or iTunes backup. (HT204184)

If you have no prior backup earlier than 4/15/15, please go to www.icloud.com and log into your iCloud account.

Once logged in go to the contacts and delete the one you are having issues with.

On your phone, delete all call logs and message threads for that contact, then the contact itself.

Turn your phone off and back on, then re-add the contact to the phone and test by sending a message.

If the resolution above does not resolve the issue, please contact Apple for further assistance at 800-694-7466

*Automatically syncing a device to iTunes is configurable in the user’s preferences. You may or may not have it turned on.

Android and Other Devices: Delete the SMS thread and start a new one to correct the issue

Thanks!

Charise

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @andyjhunter

I’d be happy to help with this messaging issue! This is a somewhat recurring bug for some iPhone users. To resolve this issue:

• Take down the affected number, as we’re going to delete it from the device
  • Delete the contact from the device
  • Delete any messages from or to this number
  • Delete any call logs that include the affected number
  • Go to Settings > General > Reset and choose Reset Network Settings
  • When the device powers back on, send a new text to the affected number BEFORE creating a new contact

I hope this helps!

Charise

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Nope. Still didn't work. I scoured my phone for any trace of the number; contacts, texts, call logs and got rid of everything. Reset the Network Settings and tried to text the number manually, I got the same error message as before.

• 

1 Message

Dear Apple -

This (Error Invalid Number message in texts) is a nightmare. Imagine following the steps below to send each message. please fix it.

mnystrand

Re:

Take down the affected number, as we’re going to delete it from the device

Delete the contact from the device

Delete any messages from or to this number

Delete any call logs that include the affected number

Go to Settings > General > Reset and choose Reset Network Settings

When the device powers back on, send a new text to the affected number BEFORE creating a new contact

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I have just experienced this problem.  I have an Iphone 6 Plus and I was unable to send a message to someone standing right next to me.  I could receive his text, but I could not reply back to his message, nor could I send him a message.  I kept getting "Error Invalid Number.  Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code."  I tried with the area code, taking the area code out...nothing worked.  I could call him using the same 7 digits but to texting.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I'm having same problem on the iPhone 6 plus tried all of the above mentioned and still won't work and the phone I'm texting TO is a note 3 from tmobile but is unlocked and currently on AT&T

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I am having the same problem on a Lumia 830 running windows 10

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I'm having the same problem on the Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows 8.  I was able to text yesterday with no issues.  Now all of the sudden I get the error regardless of who I text.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I'm also having this problem on a Windows Phone. Just started in replies to other messages this morning. 😕 Tried deleting and re-adding contacts, and it still did it once I replied to their message. It replies with the error, but in the error message, it adds 11 to the ten digit phone number that is actually stored in my phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Having the same issue with my phone apparently adding "11" to a contact.

Nokia Lumia 920

Windows 8.1

This is a contact I regularly text.  If I delete the thread I can send a text, but soon enough I get an the error message.

Tried texting 2 other contacts, no issues.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

This is happening to me this morning on replies, too.  Lumia 520

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.