Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
andyjhunter

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Apr 8, 2015 4:05 PM

Invalid number error message when sending text from my iPhone

Ever since I upgraded to an iPhone 5s I get an Error Invalid Number message when sending a text to a phone number that used to work just fine from my 4s. In fact I can receive a text from this number but when I try to reply to that text I get the error message again.

I deleted the contact info in case there was something broken there and I'm trying it with just the raw phone number but without any luck. What can I do? It's my boss's number so it's important I fix this problem.

All other contacts and texts are working just fine, it's just this one phone, a Samsung galaxy on T-mobile if that helps. 

Responses

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks much for your feedback.  It is surprising that the problem hasn't been resolved as there seems to be quite  few people with this same issue.  It must be in the "too hard to do pile" to remedy and both AT&T and Apple would rather deal with the camparitively small group of people who will continue to seek answers (and waste their time) and then eventually give up.  It really is too bad as all the other services seem to work well. 

Thanks again.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I think this is an AT&T issue because the issue didn't start until my mother and I switched from Verizon a few months ago.  In the short time of 2 months I have been with AT&T, I have had more issues than I ever had with Verizon, who I was with since I started using a cell phone back in 2002.  This is only one issue of many that keep coming up, now just yesterday, I got a snapchat message from my long distance friend asking if I was mad at her because she thought I was ignoring her texts, turns out even though they are saying they are being delivered, she is not receiving them.  I guess that's why Verizon costs more, because your paying for something that actually works correctly.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

This is an AT&T issues as it is not isolated to the iphone. Other phones are also having the issue.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I finally figured out why my android phone keeps dropping the area code and failing to send the message when I text a contact! It's because the contact has parentheses around the area code. Please don't use parentheses - that's the OLD days. Just delete the parentheses around the area code in all your contacts, make sure it saves, and delete the old thread that with the missing area code. YAY!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

UGH...I just switch to AT&T and the Galaxy S5.  Is there an Android FIX?? 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This has a big ole check mark that says resolved.  Please tell me how it is resolved?  AT&T customer service, at the store level is AWFUL!  I have not been a customer for very long but they suck already.  They suggest here, to call Apple if the fix of deleting everything doesn't work, well, it doesn't work.  I called Apple they said it is exclusively AT&T.  I went to the store and the snot-nosed, young girl, snatched my phone from me, started wrining down th contact information, deleted my WHOLE call history and the contact and fixed one.  She was pretty proud of herself for that.  I aksed her to fix the rest of them and she couldn't.  I have backed up my phone, factory re-set it, re-set it as new and daily, I get a new number that I can't text.  Somebody please tell me how to fix this!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

The problem persists for All phones..it's not just apple..it's Samsung
to...so all roads point back to its an AT&T issue.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

When is this going to be fixed as for it is very very aggravating, I'm ready to go back to T-Mobile. Again when is this going to be fixed

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Sir/Madam,

Did ATT ever fix this problem? I didn't bother to write a post, because yours is worded so close to what I have written.

I am SO SICK of sending ATT a large payment for our family telephone service every month, just to get errors like this one for my hard-earned cash. 

This is the most nerve-wracking problem I have encountered to date (even worse that not being able to make or receive a call from our kitchen).

Please let me know if this has been fixed to your satisfaction. I can't continue like this, and will seek a new carrier if it continues. I'm so sorry that you have been through all of the usual corporate delay . I hope things are working better for you now.

Another disgruntled ATT customer,

Jeff Schueler

Wichita, KS

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

Personally, I have had no further problems since spending HOURS on the phone with Apple Customer Support, reconstructing my phone, and keeping up with the Apple upgrades.  AT&T did not do SQUAT to help or correct this problem.  The jury is still out on this situation.  Apple and AT&T continue to point the blame to each other.  There definitely appears to be an incompatability problem between Apple and, not ONLY AT&T, but the various other cellular carriers as well. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I just bought a Motorola Go Phone this past Saturday, 9/5, and I am having the same problem with sending text messages to LOCAL friends. This is an AT&T problem. FIX THIS!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This worked for me!  I had tried it several times but had not deleted the call history so was failing.  Thank you for the step-by-step instructions. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have tried everything you have said none of it worked. Is there something else that I can do?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

According to AT&T this is an issue with all carriers and that it is an Apple issue regardless, I was on the phone Apple Network and Tower field service techs who reported that sms messaging is the carriers issue and not Apple. AT&T temporary fix they had me do which worked for a short time was to delete the affected number from all history the create a new text msg with the area code number and to replace the last digit in the number with the letter that represents that number. However it failed after a week so I switched back to T-Mobile back in September and have not had an issue at all none whatsoever and glad I switched back as they gave me my same plan plus unlimited data and free month all for switching back. T-Mobile rocks

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I have tried this "solution" and it does not work.  It's ridiculous that AT&T doesn't have a fix for this.  It's been several months and I have to use a "free text" app in order to text my mom and sister. 

Get started...

Ask a new question