Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
andyjhunter

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Apr 8, 2015 4:05 PM

Invalid number error message when sending text from my iPhone

Ever since I upgraded to an iPhone 5s I get an Error Invalid Number message when sending a text to a phone number that used to work just fine from my 4s. In fact I can receive a text from this number but when I try to reply to that text I get the error message again.

I deleted the contact info in case there was something broken there and I'm trying it with just the raw phone number but without any luck. What can I do? It's my boss's number so it's important I fix this problem.

All other contacts and texts are working just fine, it's just this one phone, a Samsung galaxy on T-mobile if that helps. 

Responses

film1967

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I finally got the number to work by some combination of resetting / rebooting / reverting to factory settings BUT even though I can now TEXT MESSAGE with this person, I still can't text them photos. What on earth is the problem AT&T? With so many frustrated users, can't you come up with a real fix???

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

@ATTMobilityCare wrote:

Hi @andyjhunter and everyone similarly affected!

We’d like to update you on this situation and offer some help! Some customers are still experiencing failures because the device retained the +11 digits in memory. AT&T and our external partner are investigating. Updates will be provided as soon as they are available.

For iPhone devices:

Connecting an iPhone to a computer via USB could automatically* start the backup process which would overwrite any backup created prior to April 15, 2015. If this occurs, cancel the backup process by clicking the 'X' in the upper-middle portion of the iTunes screen.

1. Check for last backup in iTunes or iCloud
    2. If prior to 4/15/15 and acceptable, on iPhone tap Settings > General > Reset > Erase All.
    3. Restore device from an iCloud or iTunes backup. (HT204184)

If the resolution above does not resolve the issue, please contact Apple for further assistance at 800-694-7466

*Automatically syncing a device to iTunes is configurable in the user’s preferences. You may or may not have it turned on.

Android and Other Devices: Delete the SMS thread and start a new one to correct the issue

Thanks!

Charise

I don't use the iCloud options for device backup, just the local workstation and I don't have anything to restore from 4/15/2015 or earlier.

AT&T and our external partner are investigating. Updates will be provided as soon as they are available.

Yes please investigate a bit faster as this problem has been ongoing, affecting multiple users for many months.

please contact Apple for further assistance at 800-694-7466

Passing me back to Apple ehhh?? For as much money as I pay you guys for voice and data services every month that is a Horrible response. This problem is affecting multiple other phone platform types, not just Apple.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Has this problem been solved yet? I'm having the same issue and have tried everything mentioned.
MammaBear2

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I still have the same issue with one number. I was able to finally get one fixed by following the instructions of removing as a contact but it kept showing as a recent so you have to make sure you clear 'all' the spots the number may appear. Not sure what the difference is with the number I can't seem to fix ~ I will let you know if I figure it out.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Just starting have same issue with person I work with.  Never had this issue before.  tried a couple of the fixes and did not work.  any other solutions?

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

I am having the EXACT same problem with my new iPHONE 6 Plus (with AT&T as carrier), purchased mid-April, 2015.  The phone works fine exact for a sporadic problem with texting only certain numbers.  Even though putting in the correct number to text, the message immediately bumps back with an error code that reads "+1(1)(216)116-11."

When this happened the first time a couple of weeks ago, I spent some hours back and forth between AT&T and Apple support personnel (who keep pointing the finger back and forth at each other to blame).  NONE of the fixes mentioned here in this forum worked to actually resolve the problem.  After speaking with an Apple support rep, I was assisted with connecting my iPhone to my desk PC and downloading iTUNES to back up the phone information, so that I would not lose my settings and contacts.  Then they talked me through how to discard all of the content of the phone and totally restore everything (i.e., START OVER).  Only after I did that, was I then able to text that ONE phone number I was having the problem with.  I THOUGHT the problem had finally been fixed, but TODAY the problem RE-occurred with yet ANOTHER number.

This morning, I got upper-level Apple Customer Service and technical support personnel involved.  The senior level support person, with whom I spoke, concurred that MANY customers are having this identical issue.  It was stated that this is NOT resulting from either a software OR a hardware problem with the phone itself -- otherwise, other problems would be occurring.  They say that it is a CARRIER "activation policy" problem -- not JUST with AT&T, but with SPRINT, and others as well.  They also said that they are in process of having meetings with carrier personnel to try and resolve the issue, but thus far, have not gotten far with the process. 

THIS is RIDICULOUS.  It needs to be FIXED.  Customers should not be having to pay $1,000 or more for a brand new cell phone, and the hundreds of dollars continually being paid to their cellular carrier services on an ongoing basis, only to be blocked from ability to send a SIMPLE TEXT MESSAGE to a perfectly valid phone number that should be working.  It should also be noted that there is no problem with calling these phone numbers as a regular phone call.  The problem is ONLY when attempting to send a TEXT message. 

FIX it, AT&T  -- Work with the phone manufacturer to resolve this issue!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I am having the same issue. Just got a new iPhone 6 a few days ago so that I could keep up with my texting kids. When I try to text my son, I get the same message. I wasted an hour with an AT&T store rep yesterday. Absolutely no help. I am considering returning the phone, paying the restocking fee and changing carriers.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I did a factory reset fixed mine!

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

Hi Beachrat 73 -- why should you have to pay them a "restocking fee" for a phone that is not working properly in the first place?  If this was only a case of "buyer's remorse," that would be different.  But when you do not receive a properly working device (as PAID FOR), they should make good on it without you having to pay them squat.  You've already invested (and wasted) a major portion of your TIME with this whole nonsense. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I am able to recieve calls and text messages from a friends number but when i respond to a text i get a message saying invalid number????

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

As of JUNE 24, 2015, having the same issue, none of the previous suggestions have worked. This is not an Apple issue, it's a carrier issue. AT&T please advise.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

None of this has helped 😡

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This is rediculous. Shouldn't this issue be fixed by now? Iphone 6 plus and I'm having this issue. I've tried it all

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Dear AT&T, his sure lookls like a software bug. Please fix this ASAP - we customers should be able to text everyone!

MammaBear2

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I don't think that AT&T is listening.

Get started...

Ask a new question