Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
andyjhunter

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Apr 8, 2015 4:05 PM

Invalid number error message when sending text from my iPhone

Ever since I upgraded to an iPhone 5s I get an Error Invalid Number message when sending a text to a phone number that used to work just fine from my 4s. In fact I can receive a text from this number but when I try to reply to that text I get the error message again.

I deleted the contact info in case there was something broken there and I'm trying it with just the raw phone number but without any luck. What can I do? It's my boss's number so it's important I fix this problem.

All other contacts and texts are working just fine, it's just this one phone, a Samsung galaxy on T-mobile if that helps. 

Responses

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

My husband and I have both had the same issue with our iphone 6's, spent hours on the phone with ATT and Apple, no one can seem to fix it, wiped phone completey and reset as new phone, this worked for about a month, now happening again! Pretty sure after my hours of conversations this is an ATT issue not apple...frustrating, would love to know if any verizon customers are experienceing this? May have to switch. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

My wife's iphone 6 had the same problem (after ios 8.4 upgrade) with new text using phone numbers in the send to box. After I tried everything I read I deleated all her text conversations ( I asked her first ) and it worked problem solved

cindy_sd

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

I am having the same problem with 2 contacts on my phone, I called apple, called AT&T (by the way the said issue resolved on their end) not true. Called AT&T again, went to apple inperson, deleted contracts did back ups, you name it ive done it nothing has worked. I am about to cancell with AT&T and go back to Verizon..... I can no longre keep loosing texts and pictures too.

If anything they should credit back my $. So much easier for them to say they fixed it and leave it at that.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I don’t think it was AT&T it happened after apple iOS Upgrade to 8.4

cindy_sd

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Neither apple or at&t are taking responsibility.. I don't know what to think. I'm going back to verizon. No one should be having to deal with problems like this and be left stuck.

Cindy

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I was having this issue long before the recent apple update, I was actually hoping the update would fix the problem, but it did not.
cindy_sd

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

No it has not been fixed. The regular customer service people have no clue of the real issue and at apple just yesterday I was told they have seen this several times but they did not fix it. I took my Verizon number and got a newer iphone 5s with AT&T just a week ago so its recent and still happening. Just last night I text another number that I got an error message from so now I cant text 3 people. Really I have wasted so much time on this issue. I am just going back to Verizon by Friday. They are expensive and now I need a new phone and to start all over (since I cant use a locked AT&T iphone) but I need reliability.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

When you're having problems texting one specific phone number, take a look at that individual contact.....
There should be a "+" sign in front of the phone number, ex: +1(888)555-1212. If there is no + sign, you may experience issues. Simply add a "+" to te front of the phone number in your contact.

I was having this problem, too. After an hour and a half on the phone with AT&T and 2 full resets, it came down to that + sign.
Everything works fine now.
cindy_sd

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Its 5 different numbers now not just 2. Im beyond tired and I selling this phone and cancelling with AT&T today. I going back to Verizon.

MammaBear2

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for this tip..  There should be a "+" sign in front of the phone number, ex: +1(888)555-1212. If there is no + sign, you may experience issues. Simply add a "+" to te front of the phone number in your contact.  Im glad it worked for you... It was the first time I"ve seen this as a solution so thought I'd try it...    Did not work for me.  Did you have to reset or any of that business first?  I'm now at 3 numbers I've identified as not being able to text to.  Thanks much

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

When you did the factory reset did you lose all your data such as game progress? I'm trying to figure out if there is a way around this problem without losing any game progress. I am only having this problem with one number and most people are saying reseting their phone didn't work for them. 

cindy_sd

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Hi, I had the people at the apple store do the reset. I made sure I backed up everything beforehand onto icloud and then in iTunes on my home computer. Only the regular basics apps, contacts, music and pics are back. All else is gone. I'm sorry your having this problem too. I would not recommend doing a reset ive tried it 2xs and it did not work. The more time that passes the more random numbers I can not text. Now I'm up to 5. Yesterday the rep at the AT&T store gave me a new sim card and it did not help. Then another rep inserted his own personal AT&T sim into my phone and still is happened - we got the same errors upon texting. I was told by an AT&T higher level tech that there is most likely a tower in the area not picking up the correct area code(s) for the phone numbers. So its an issue between the apple software / AT&T towers.
I'm going to buy a sim free new iphone - and change carriers. I think I should then be able to text all my prior contacts. The suggestion at the end by the rep was to install the free app called text free ultra. You set up an account with your email and then it gives you a choice to select a different phone number. I can now text those people through this app. I just need to let them know its me and the number is just temporary. I was determined to get to the bottom of the problem and I think I did. Its just frustrating and not to mention expensive to have to go elsewhere and start over.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for the suggestion! I found an app that works for me!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Unfortunately, I have tried all the recommended solutions in the string for resetting the device, clearing out all the contact information, connecting it to itunes via USB and nothing works.  The unfortunate thing after contacting apple is that they will not acknowledge the problem is theirs either.  It has been a very frustrating experience overall and the amazing thing is no one will admit ownership of a "known problem."  I will be happy when this contract is over with AT&T and believe me I will not be getting another iPhone either....

cindy_sd

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

I'm sorry this happened to you as well. I don't sign contracts with carriers anymore. I love having an iphone but it's locked to AT&T. I can either sell it and go back to Verizon but that leaves me paying cash for another phone. The AT&T service so far is ok but it's upsetting to not be able to text all my old contacts. Like you said neither AT&T or Apple have taken responsibility. I installed an app to text those numbers on my iphone. If it wasn't for that id have to communicate by calling only. This is the first and last AT&T iphone I will buy. I honestly liked verizon better and never had any problems.

Get started...

Ask a new question