Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
Gayle3103's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, August 7th, 2016 3:01 PM

Closed

Bogo Buy on Get one Free Issue

I have the same issue of some of the previous posts.  Went into the store in Plymouth Meeting to purchase one new phone.  The salesman told be about buy one get one free promo if I add a line.  I decided to got for it and added the new line and got Iphone 6 and 6S which the salesman said was good for the promo.  At check out his receipt wasn't working so I didn't get any paperwork.  After returning home I decided to call at&t and confirm the promo and price of my new bill.  I spent about 30 min on the phone w/ the rep and he confirmed the buy one get one along w/ my new bill.  He did say that it would take a few billing statements for me to get the credits.  After 4 months i called again because no credit.  They said it would show up following month.  Nothing so I called again.  At this point 4 months after the purchase they now said the phones I purchases where not part of the Bogo.  They created a case because the records show I called to reveiw on the date of purchase the new plan.  I didn't hear back within the 10 days so I have made multiple phone calls.  Each one 30 to 40 min. end with the case is still under investigation.  Now at 6 months after the purchase At&t called me back to tell me I have to go threw the store to get this escalated.  I did call the store about 6 weeks ago and never heard anything back.  Just called again now they said the district manager will contact me with in 10 days.  Honestly this is fraud.  I am still hoping they stand behind what they sold me but the amount of hours and 6 months I've been waiting to get this resolved is completely unethical.   [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

We have heard that if stores have a price error on the shelf, they have to honor it, because that's the published price.   

In Michigan I can go up to the customer service counter and they have to refund me 10 times the difference up to $5 (or is it $10?). Something like that. I think it started when they started scanning with UPC codes, but maybe not.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 years ago

In Connecticut we get the item free up to $20.  I got a free cooler at stop and shop that way.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Unhappy2017 wrote:

And yes, as soon as my contract with them is up I will be switching carriers.  It is sad to me that AT&T has to lose a customer of 16 years because a saleperson made a mistake.  I won't make the mistake of dealing with them again for future service unless they can fix my issue.

Spend a few minutes in forums that discuss the other carriers. Pick the one that does NOT have any problems with salespersons and support staff...

Make sure your phones are unlocked before you leave if you want to use them at a different carrier.

FYI, your last month is NOT prorated, so don't leave at the beginning of the month.  

I asked for documentation of the deal and he said there was none.

That seems like it should have set off some red flags.  How could they possibly know how to do it cirrectky if they don't have any documentation.

I asked for documentation and tried to do my do dilegence while at the store and was denied.

But you purchased it anyways...  It's not due diligence, if you give up. 

This is not a hypothetical conversation, since we know how this turned out there is really no reason to rationalize that you checked it out enough.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Just a status update for you all.  Over the past 10 years or more I have done all transactions over the web with ATT knowing that the computers do not make mistakes when choosing what qualifies.  This time I decided to go into an ATT store because so many changes have been made to wireless plans since I last had to change plans.  I find it disheartening to know we can not trust our fellow Americans at these types of stores.  I will never trust another store employee to give me accurate details on plan changes or deals.  Back to ATT website for all my business.

The issue got resolved and I no longer owe any payments for the second phone and was reimbursed for what I had been charged so far.  I know a guy who works at ATT in a different division.  He had to get in contact with the regional wireless manager who is the manager for all the store managers in the region.  She called the store manager where I bought the phones  and told them to get photos of the paperwork where the sales person had made calculations on what my bill would be each month minus the phone payment.  I drove to the store on my lunch hour and was there for maybe 5 mins.  Three days later they started processing the refund and "processed" that I own the phone outright.

I feel bad for the rest of you who do not have a contact like I had, you probably will not get reimbursed.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 years ago

This among many other issues, and Verizon new plan offers are going to really hurt ATT.  

As I say often, I have no pity for self inflicted wounds.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Hi,

I am surprised that there are only three of us that have this problem.  Maybe there are other threads.  I bought two new iphone 6s, under the promotion.  I am still paying for the second one.  I have been working with AT&T to get it resolved.  My last call was encouraging or so it seemed.   I got a case number and they said they would get back to me Feb 23.  I just called and the help line said the status was in being resolved.  I asked for a call back so I can get more information.   It sounds like the other two folks are still stuck, right? 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 years ago

@concordmaguy

@concordmaguy wrote:

Hi,

I am surprised that there are only three of us that have this problem.  Maybe there are other threads.  I bought two new iphone 6s, under the promotion.  I am still paying for the second one.  I have been working with AT&T to get it resolved.  My last call was encouraging or so it seemed.   I got a case number and they said they would get back to me Feb 23.  I just called and the help line said the status was in being resolved.  I asked for a call back so I can get more information.   It sounds like the other two folks are still stuck, right? 

In an earlier post the requirements of the BOGO are in a picture.  

1.   When did you buy the phones? Exact date please.

2.  Did you add at least one new line and purchase the 'free' phone on that line?

3.  Did you purchase with Next installments ?

4.   Did you buy qualifying phones You said 2 iPhone 6s models.  Please check the phones and make sure they are BOTH 6s or 6s plus.  Not 6, not SE.

5.  Account is paid on time each month, in full.  No credit is given on overdue accounts.

You will always pay for both phones, but should be receiving a credit against the new line for one phone if you qualified.  The computer automatically checks qualification, so if you aren't getting credits, one of the requirements is not met.  Cross your fingers and hope it's a glitch.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I am having a similar issue with AT&T and the Buy One Get One Free Phone (BOGO Free Phone).  First, I would like to state that when signing up for this site, The AT&T Community Form, that the AT&T Website Terms of Use ("Terms of Use") would not load on the sign up page and also in the Introduction of the AT&T Community Form Guidelines.  In case it is suggested  that "the fine print" was not read.

So, I called AT&T in March of 2017 in regards to the BOGO Free Phone.  I talked to the AT&T Employee for over an hour - which was recorded, noted on my file, and also shows on my detailed bill from AT&T - there was Never any mention about this "New Line of Service" in order to "qualify" for the BOGO Free Phone.  To make sure I was clearly informed about the BOGO Free Phone promotion, I tried to think of all questions to ask and with talking to him for over an hour, putting me on hold to also clarify with a supervisor questions he was not clear on seems to be enough time to make sure he was clearly informed on the BOGO Free Phone promotion in turn to state the clear and correct information to me, the consumer, seems like due diligence.  It is his job, as an employee of AT&T, under the scope of employment of AT&T, to be informed on the promotions offered by his employer, AT&T, to properly inform the consumer of the promotion.  

After being told on the March 2017 phone call with the AT&T employee that it would be 2-3 months to pay on the "free phone, my husband did a chat with an AT&T employee on August 2017 asking why the "free phone" is still showing up as a charge instead of a credit.  The AT&T informed my husband that we did not "qualify" for the BOGO Free Phone, because of the "New Line of Service" requirement.  He was transferred to the AT&T Loyalty department which in turn told him the same thing.  They apologized about the employee being misinformed, but there was nothing they could do about it.  So, the AT&T employee gave misinformed/false information to the consumer and the consumer has to pay for the AT&T employee's mistake.  Really?

I also called the AT&T customer service line (1-800-288-2020) August 2017 and talked to an AT&T employee that stated he knows about the problem and that I am not the only person that has been calling in regards to the BOGO Free Phone.  He stated he can not do anything for me, but will transfer me to his supervisor.  After talking to the AT&T employee supervisor, she also stated that we did not qualify for the BOGO Free Phone promotion and that she can not do anything for us either.  I stated that that was not acceptable and she stated that I can call back tomorrow to get to a higher supervisor than her, because she can not do anything for us.  Time spent on call, 40 minutes.  So, I will be calling tomorrow after my daughter has her wisdom teeth surgery done, relevant information, due to the time it is taking to get this issue resolved.  As like all of us, there are other things to be doing instead of "making a case" on the BOGO Free Phone promotion by AT&T. 

I can not discuss legal issues of scope of employment on this form, per the terms of AT&T Community Form Guidelines: 

Keep it Relevant and Appropriate

For everyone's benefit please stay on topic. These Community Forums are provided to encourage knowledge-sharing of AT&T products and services with others. Please refrain from discussing personal matters or, in general, from posting content in a manner unrelated to the resolution of issues regarding AT&T products and services. Other inappropriate or unacceptable behavior includes: a) discussing how to violate any policy or agreement entered into with AT&T for any product or service, b) posting content which is created solely to "bump" an existing topic or to evade the word filter or site logic; c) double-posting or cross-posting; and d) discussing participant bans or other Moderator actions. The Community Forum is not a venue for discussion of legal matters. Therefore, no such discussions are permitted. We reserve the right to delete inappropriate material.

Also relevant, is the time put in by individuals (consumers - customers) to call and write about the problems of the BOGO Free Phone promotion (as stated above). Time for writing and signing up for this, over an hour.

In my opinion, and also those of this site, it is highly unethical, fraudulent and extremely bad business.  I believed that  AT&T was a good, ethical, fair business and I am disheartened that AT&T is handling the BOGO Free Phone issue in this matter.  I am asking that AT&T please resolve the BOGO Free Phone issue by upholding and honoring their employees information given to the consumer.   

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Renee1212  Offers are published so that a ATT's rear is covered.  If it isn't in print on the website, it's not a valid offer

An employee error does not bind the carrier to an invalid offer.   While it would be nice if they honored it anyway, they don't have to.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you, but I don't accept that.   So you are saying, an employee of AT&T can tell you anything, true or false, and the employee and the company is not held accountable?  No, not correct.  Something like this just happen with Wells Fargo.  There has to be a balance between protecting the consumer and protecting the company.  Bottom line is AT&T should do the ethical thing and take responsibility for their mistake.

If I, the consumer, attains the information from the AT&T employee, then I have to verify the AT&T employee is doing their job correctly, so I then have to research the AT&T website for verification.  So, as consumers we need to research and verify all areas of business we are not experts about?  Finances, mortgages, rental property, construction, landscaping, accounting- taxes, laws, appliance repair, flooring, bank procedures, travel requirements, health care, health insurance, dental care, school, college, car insurance, pass port proceedures, computer repair, phone repair, electrical, plumbing........etc. etc.  Really?  No reason to have employees to explain and clarify things if the consumer is expected to be an expert in all areas of living life.  

If the AT&T employee is not there to inform the consumer of the AT&T products and promotions, why are the employees there?  What is their job and what is AT&T paying them for?  Also, AT&T employees are the ones who put the information on the website.  What if that information is wrong?  No accountability?  Really?

This is NOT acceptable.  As consumers, we all should know this and hold the company accountable.  AT&T is in fact a company made up of humans, consumers themselves.   

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.