For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
johnnyblu's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Friday, February 20th, 2015 6:57 PM

Closed

Anyone out there experienced AT&T adding device insurance without authorization?

I've upgraded 3 lines since the iPhone 6 came out. Each time AT&T adding device insurance without my authorization or knowledge. Anyone else out there experience this? 

Given that it's happened to me 3 separate times over the course of the past 6 months leads me to believe AT&T systematically adds insurance coverage without authorization in hopes that no one will notice or will not bother to call them on it. Over the holidays  I did not read my bill in detail; last month I did and noticed that for 3 months they had been charging me an extra 6.99 per month. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:
I upgraded 2 iPhones back on the launch day. Both were using NEXT, and in both cases, the sales rep wanted to add insurance and I explicitly said no. I am not paying for insurance, and have not paid for it either of these phones, so in my case, They didn't add it.

I know that they tried to push it fairly hard, but I was clear that I didn't want it, and they removed it, but yes, they automatically added it "because I was using NEXT". If your rep was rushed, or not trained well, they might have not verified with you that you wanted it, and if you didn't expressly tell them you didn't want it, it could have been left on your bill. In any case, it should have been on the totals they went over with you, so you should have known about it before you left the store.

@MCA

@GeekBoy is not a forum regular anymore, he may not see the post.

When I last upgraded in a store (February 2014) the insurance option was on the Next installment paperwork as a waived item.  Kind of like when you rent a car.  I had to initial or sign that I waived insurance.  I don’t know how they do it now.  I upgraded in Best Buy in March and insurance was offered, but Best Buy offers their own product.  

I don’t know how company stores present insurance now.

As he wrote, the bill totals were reviewed.  Very little gets by me anyway.  And when my next 2 bills arrived I was careful to review for accuracy. (Knowing I would have to call to have anything removed)

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Same problem here.  I even have proof of declining on one off the lines when it was upgraded going back 2-years ago.  Then noticed the mobile insurance showed up on that line.  2 other lines have had it without my knowledge for the last 2+ years as well.  I’m going into a store to show proof about the one line that the receipt shows a decline. When I called about those other 2 lines the customer support gave me a $25 credit and removed the insurance.  He said I needed to go into a store and speak to a manager.  After doing some research, it’s clear that ATT sales people are involved in some type of scam.  My next move prior to going into the store will be to contact the FCC.  I suggest we all do the same to make sure this activity is documented at the FCC level.  Apparently, all FCC complaints need to be personally answered by the CEO of the corporation.

I’m also bringing in proof to the store of all these comments on this forum since it’s an official forum monitored and supported by ATT.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@StevenG1229 wrote:

Same problem here.  I even have proof of declining on one off the lines when it was upgraded going back 2-years ago.  Then noticed the mobile insurance showed up on that line.  2 other lines have had it without my knowledge for the last 2+ years as well.  I’m going into a store to show proof about the one line that the receipt shows a decline. When I called about those other 2 lines the customer support gave me a $25 credit and removed the insurance.  He said I needed to go into a store and speak to a manager.  After doing some research, it’s clear that ATT sales people are involved in some type of scam.  My next move prior to going into the store will be to contact the FCC.  I suggest we all do the same to make sure this activity is documented at the FCC level.  Apparently, all FCC complaints need to be personally answered by the CEO of the corporation.

I’m also bringing in proof to the store of all these comments on this forum since it’s an official forum monitored and supported by ATT.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Problem doesn’t even get paid one month if you read your bill each time.  I’ve been auto pay for 5 years, but if it varies more than a buck or two, I read the bill.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have just become aware of the additional $35 per month for multi device insurance that I have been paying for almost two years. I work a lot with cases of corporate fraud in the financial industry and this is an obvious case. The 3 month policy they adhere to is a strategically implemented part of the scam and what horrible business they practice to place financial responsibility on the customer for trusting the company to bill them honestly. I am not going to let this issue go unsettled. Have you or anyone else experiencing this issue made any strides towards full reimbursement? We are definitely legally entitled to it and I’m remaining persistent in settling this matter. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I have not made any strides in getting full reimbursement for this unscrupulous and illegal practice by ATT. Is there anything you suggest I do in order to make sure this issue is taken up the chain to the highest levels at ATT executives?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@HVRS0414 wrote:

I have just become aware of the additional $35 per month for multi device insurance that I have been paying for almost two years. I work a lot with cases of corporate fraud in the financial industry and this is an obvious case. The 3 month policy they adhere to is a strategically implemented part of the scam and what horrible business they practice to place financial responsibility on the customer for trusting the company to bill them honestly. I am not going to let this issue go unsettled. Have you or anyone else experiencing this issue made any strides towards full reimbursement? We are definitely legally entitled to it and I’m remaining persistent in settling this matter. 

I think the expectation is you should read your bill, at least every 3 months and you would be in the clear right?

Asurion isn’t going to refund 2 years of premiums to At&t.   

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Yep they did that to me. I had them remove some charges I was speaking to Guatemala or something insurance the next day I was signed up for it! it's llike every time I try and think I'm going to save a little money I can be guaranteed AT&T is going to swindle me out of something else.

The latest is I found out that their installation people never changed any of the equipment when they installed the satellite service DirecTV. They left the old satellite the old wiring the old connectors and then four months later the connector actually rusted all the way through and messed my signal up to unusable. They promised me they would send someone out at no charge when I discovered it was all still the old stuff cuz I never really looked before and then they said two people out one executive to apologize for all the problems that I have had and one installation person to fix everything 

they not only never fixed the problem completely because they never replace the old equipment but two months later I get a service call of $99 on my  Bill and they won't take it off

I am going back to Xfinity this week AT&T is crooked crooked as heck

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

It happened to me when I bought a phone directly from the apple store and I had apple care too boot. There has to be a law against this no? like how can you charge people for something they never asked for or wanted?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@matyyboyy86 wrote:

It happened to me when I bought a phone directly from the apple store and I had apple care too boot. There has to be a law against this no? like how can you charge people for something they never asked for or wanted?

Unless you already had insurance on your line, it cannot be added if you buy your phone with Apple. (Or any other 3rd party retailer).  

It would be up to you to request cancelation of insurance off your At&t bill.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Why should I have to request cancellation on something I never ordered? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.