For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
johnnyblu's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Friday, February 20th, 2015 6:57 PM

Closed

Anyone out there experienced AT&T adding device insurance without authorization?

I've upgraded 3 lines since the iPhone 6 came out. Each time AT&T adding device insurance without my authorization or knowledge. Anyone else out there experience this? 

Given that it's happened to me 3 separate times over the course of the past 6 months leads me to believe AT&T systematically adds insurance coverage without authorization in hopes that no one will notice or will not bother to call them on it. Over the holidays  I did not read my bill in detail; last month I did and noticed that for 3 months they had been charging me an extra 6.99 per month. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I too noticed a mobile protection charge on my account. I called customer care and they said ATT had added to my account when I purchased my phone (not on Next plan). Same excuses were made and asked - u didn't notice it all this time? You didn't look at your bill? Etc.

My question to them was: why would you add a service to a customers account without their permission? Would I have had to make this phone call had you not done something that's both unethical and illegal? Why then wasn't I covered on at least three separate occasions I reported damage to my phone? Instead I was told - I didn't have a protection plan.
AT&Ts line of reasoning is inexcusable.

The point is: A company intentionally added a service onto customers accounts WITHOUT permission.

It's funny how there are people making excuses for big business. What AT&T is doing and has done to their customers is DISGUSTING....to say the least. If we're using the "u should have looked at your bill logic"....then At&T still owes me 1.5 million bc I automatically charge a fee to them for allowing me to do business with them....

basically "Everytime they charge me I charge them x10." Did they bother to check the agreement, bill, forms, voicemails, letters, etc I've sent them in the 13 years I've been a customer? Shame on them! Too bad, pay up AT&T. You should have paid attention. If this were a Ma&Pa shop down the street most of you would be irate and at the very least tell friends and family not to shop there. In any case, what's happening with ATT customers is not OK and can't be justified. Time to pay the piper (yet again) AT&T.

Don't let ppl convince you it's your fault. It's not.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I too just discovered a $7.99 insurance premium on my bill and seems they have been charging me this from March 2015. I NEVER authorized this as I already have insurance from icracked and having it insured by two separate companies is throwing money away as you can only utilize one policy for a claim, not two. Also, I DO look at my bill from time to time online and have never once seen this on my bill until just last night. I auto pay all my bills which is why I don't see the actual bill every month. Called att and was told they would be happy to remove the insurance if I wanted....no, thats ok I will just keep it because......I'm a single mom on a limited income and just love throwing money away? Ugh. This is theft in my book same as stealing money right out of my pocket. Refund me the money stolen from me? Nope was the answer. Not even sure what phone they were insuring as the one I have wasn't even purchased through att. I told them I will be going to another carrier over this and they were like okay, is there anything else I can assist you with today? That would be a negative since they never assisted me with anything to start with. I have been with them from the first day I ever got a cell phone and am a good customer who pays the bill on time every month. I sure hope Sprint, Verizon, or whoever I end up moving to will appreciate me and has better customer service than what I received from att. Shame on you att.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Anyone having an issue with the unauthorized mobile protection plan[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have the same issue! I have two phones on my plan. I wanted insurance only for one phone used by my college kid. I made that very clear, more than once. Today I realize that I have been charged two insurance bills for a long time. The way the way online is shown, you have to open a smaller window to see more items.  I was given only a three month refund..I am quite upset and I don't know how to get all my money back or even how to address the problem with AT&T. The agent I spoke with was less than helpful and just kept repeating the same script. 

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

It's such a shame that they do this to their customers and take no accountability. I say class action lawsuit is an appropriate next step.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

It's such a shame that they do this to their customers and take no accountability. [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

It happened to me for two different phones on my family plan and I didn’t realized that for about 16 months. I clearly remember in one of the cases in the store the young agent tried too hard to sell the stuff that I didn't need. At the end I told him you are wasting my time, just give me the phone and let me go. Recently I find out the guy put insurance in my contract without even telling me and I paid for that for last 16 months. I talked with customer service and they mentioned they just can refund for three months. I call it a clear robbery!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

i'm a recent new customer and just discovered the same problem.  when i called att customer service and said that i was sure that if i was asked about such coverage i would have declined,  she told me that the charges are not typically added by the sales rep but "automatically by the system".  while she removed the charges in my case, 

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

7 years ago

When I signed up and bought phones on Next, insurance was a line item that you have check a box,  to waive/pass on insurance.  Right next to terms and conditions and my signature.   I don't see how anyone misses it.  

If someone waits 16 months to read their wireless bill they either:  

1.   Have too much $$$ to care about how much they pay.

2.   Have never been billed for something they didn't ask for.

3.   Had complete faith in humans and computers that they NEVER make errors.

4.   Didn't care enough to look.

Number 1 through 3 are unlikely for most of us, which leaves 4.  ATT sends you a bill each month, they can't make you read it.  If you don't, and it's wrong, it's on you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

When I bought my phones I clearly remembered that I’d been asked for insurance and I clearly said NO! I didn’t see any box to click for insurance at all since it wasn’t an online purchase. The retailers tried too hard to make me buy some other services or stuff on the point that I felt uncomfortable and finally I told them that I just need a phone. The problem is all employees are commission base and most of them are temporary. Therefore, they don’t care about customers as much as their own employer.
You listed all my possible faults and some of them were somehow true and I agree with you. However, you didn’t mention that this process is defected since one employee can change a client’s plan without authorization and no consequences for him/her!
For your info, I did the right thing and I just dumped ATT and changed my wireless career. I even had a problem with unlocking my phones as it wasn’t working online and after calling tem their agent, of course a person from India, told me we cannot unlock your phone regardless the fact that none of your phones are under any contract and the reason simply was because I told them I want to change my career!
I called them another day and this time I lied that I want to go to an overseas trip and need all my phones be unlocked. This time they unlocked my phones instantly!
I think if all the consumers could respect themselves and switch to other services in case of facing any unfair behavior from provider, corporations would learn their lessons and they understand that without consumers they are nothing!
BTW, I have a better service which is unlimited TXT, Call and data for 4 phones and my bill is $60 less than what I used to pay to ATT! I guess I learned my lesson that corporations are not trustworthy and I am 100% sure ATT doesn’t care at all!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.