Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Friday, March 9th, 2018 11:54 PM

Being Billed for Service after Cancellation and After transfer to another carrier.

Until recently I had an AT&T cellular account and hotspot for two cell phones.

Reception in my building was poor for several years and i finally switched carriers.

I had no contract and owned my phones.

I ported the phones to the new carrier on Feb 1 and Feb 4 2018.  I began active use on those dates and have telephone records to show this.

I called Customer service and cancelled the Hotspot and accepted the fact I had to pay a $134 cancellation fee.

I understand that many utilities have a policy to advance bill.  AT&T does this.  They charge for the next months service in a current billing cycle so they effectively have a deposit on the services to be provided.

I was charged in the cycle ending Feb 4 for the Period from Feb 5-March 4.

But my service was transferred so I have been charged in advance for services AT&T cannot render.  So I should be refunded.

The Manager on the Customer Service line named Epigmenio tells me AT&T does not reimburse for these services that that are unable to provide.  Yet I paid far all of the services i received.  So essentially AT&T is swindling me and others by advance billing us and then not providing services.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Thank you,

Bruce

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

The fact that AT&T doesn’t make it clear on any billing statement or via customer service when you are in the process of cancelling is a horrible business practice. Most customers are completely unaware of this bogus policy and would simply delay their departure for another month.

AT&T would then have a opportunity to retain the customer, if not, get the same amount of money upon cancellation. I’ve been a customer for over 20 years I don’t understand how this practice of not making the policy more apparent to the customer helps the brand at all.  

This practice of burying this verbiage is intentional and shameful. I’d love to hear from anyone that has been informed about this via a bill or through customer service. Pathetic, not matter what lady they have in their commercials. 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

It’s hardly buried. I see it every time I look at my bill 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

2 years ago

@Truthserum

It's a universal policy all carriers use, cellular, internet and TV. 

If you read your terms of service it's in there.  If you read your new carriers TOS, it's in theirs too. Just because you didn't read what you agreed to, doesn't make you exempt.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

2 years ago

@Constructive 

Hey, screen shot of that for the record. 

There's a lot of information on the online bill that nobody ever bothers to read. The customer service summary includes a lot of information about how the bill is produced oh, how the bill cycle works, the things that are included in your plan, and even some information on the price of your plan and discounts. 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

Not sure I can post my discounts or bill since employees get a substantial discount over the general public. 

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

formerlyknownas:

This is about what kind of company AT&T chooses to be. If they really cared about their customers there are all kinds of ways of making sure we knew that policy existed. It’s obvious AT&T doesn’t want to make that effort. Billion dollar companies don’t make that mistake. They would rather rip customers off as say “it’s in the fine print” or everyone else does it too! Pretty pathetic when you think of AT&T’s roots in customer service. Either way it’s wrong and frankly with an attitude like yours employee or not it’s likely you wouldn’t have informed me either if I came in to say I wanted to transfer my service. How does making sure customers are made aware of this policy hurt AT&T?

Remember, all things change, particularly technology. I remember the old AT&T they thought their run would never end. In my subdivision hardly anyone has a house phone.  Either way it’s a crappy way of treated a customer whose been with the company for over 20 years. Why not post it on your bill or online where customers pay their bill? That would just result in not as many people getting ripped off, that’s why. Either way my bill at T-Mobile is 1/3 of what it was when I was being duped at AT&T. Even if I leave T-Mobile under the same terms I left AT&T it won’t cost me as much. 

Adios

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

Oh the old I did not read the terms of service and they should slap it in front of my face story.  Terms of Service are legally binding agreements that you should read.  That does spell out what your and ATT rights are.  The new generation have no clue and want their hand held and told everything.

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

GLIMMERMAN76:

Terms of service ha! Lawyer talk and definitely not customer-centric. Say what you want the bean counters and the lawyers have already figured out what’s best for the shareholders, screw the customers! Frankly the phone service is actually my 82 year old mothers. I’m sure they brass gives a crap about her. Shameful. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

Again side speak.  For the fact you don't want to read.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

2 years ago

@Truthserum

Do you know all the traffic laws in your state?  But I bet you know that if you get pulled over for an infraction, it doesn't matter that you didn't know the law, you still committed the infraction.  How about the municipal codes for building?  All the wording in your mortgage or lease?

No?  Most people don't.  But they still are enforcable.  Don't make excuses because you didn't read what you agreed to - at least TWICE. because your new carrier doesn't prorate either. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.