Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Friday, March 9th, 2018 11:54 PM

Being Billed for Service after Cancellation and After transfer to another carrier.

Until recently I had an AT&T cellular account and hotspot for two cell phones.

Reception in my building was poor for several years and i finally switched carriers.

I had no contract and owned my phones.

I ported the phones to the new carrier on Feb 1 and Feb 4 2018.  I began active use on those dates and have telephone records to show this.

I called Customer service and cancelled the Hotspot and accepted the fact I had to pay a $134 cancellation fee.

I understand that many utilities have a policy to advance bill.  AT&T does this.  They charge for the next months service in a current billing cycle so they effectively have a deposit on the services to be provided.

I was charged in the cycle ending Feb 4 for the Period from Feb 5-March 4.

But my service was transferred so I have been charged in advance for services AT&T cannot render.  So I should be refunded.

The Manager on the Customer Service line named Epigmenio tells me AT&T does not reimburse for these services that that are unable to provide.  Yet I paid far all of the services i received.  So essentially AT&T is swindling me and others by advance billing us and then not providing services.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Thank you,

Bruce

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Have you talk to Spectrum? They don't do the same practice. They prorated and refund. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

5 years ago

@mok0911 

Not according to spectrum terms of service.  

4DC4BF49-C639-4AB1-A067-C80700DEEE16.jpeg

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

There should be something like a (Edited per community guidelines) against them for this.  I was only 3 days into the cycle and they won’t refund the amount I paid in advance either which is $50!  Can you imagine how much they are making every day from the thousands of people they are dwindling out of this money?!

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I try to get a refund on my phone.  It was like teeth pulling.  They are one of the worst ever. 

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have been tortured by ATT with a bill for unused bill and service 

I bought iPhone 11 pro max through the target online of trade-in offer.

19th Aug 2020 and I collected the phone in an ATT counter in target store pickup at 121 McKinney SW,TX, As I didn't get any option to trade in my old phone. I decided to return the phone within 14 days. When I tried return ATT store they told me to return where you purchased. on 23rd Aug 2020, I have returned the phone I received the refund. 

ATT store didn't take the phone and didn't cancel the service immediately  They recorded my cancellation request with "CM20200825_146673802" tracking number told me it will take 3 days to cancel and after 2 days they sent me mail that case is closed. I presumed that the account is canceled. then suddenly in October, I received a bill of $275. when again I called customer service they told me if you haven't received the service and returned you don't have to worry and disconnected the call without any information. but again they have sent postal mail with bill on suspension service on Oct 17,2020 and I called them  3 times finally go through the cancellation process. canceling att service really horrible experience I would advise don't order online devices If you change your mind you are in the soup as during covid situation where you don't want direct contact but these people force you to go to a store where they don't help if the order is from 3rd parties like target or sams club. Can you imagine when you don't have att device or not number but still getting the bill and when you call the att customer care they are disconnecting the call it's really horrible experience I have gone through.  because of this, I switched my prepaid also to different providers. In all this they keep sending the bill and since purchase I could not log in to att account 

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I switch carriers to Verizon 1 & 1/2 months ago, and was told I didn't have to do anything and my AT&T would be cancelled. As it turns out AT&T is still charging me, right now - after they sent me a prepaid card with my "pro-rated balance". I had a family plan with my father who just passed, and who is apparently still under coverage. AT&T went on ahead with an automatic payment to a closed account for 2 months now, and probably would have continued if I hadn't called. Is there a (Edited per community guidelines) started for AT&T charging people after an account is closed?

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

3 years ago

It sounds like your father's phone line wasn't canceled, so it's still active. That means the account wasn't closed. 

The rep from Verizon should have been more specific and told you only the line your ported over would be canceled on AT&T's end. Other lines, watches, and tablets are not canceled unless you call AT&T and tell them to do so. 

You'll need to call and request your father's line be disconnected. When you do, I recommend focusing on the fact that the account holder has passed away and you had other things on your mind than calling AT&T (which is no doubt true). Don't mention your own phone line or switching to Verizon. You want to be seen as a grieving child, not a former customer. 

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I totally agree!!

I just got off the phone with AT&T after going through two service reps who told me that they don't pre-bill, so they don't owe me anything. 

One of them even had the gall to tell me that they only pre-bill the first month you have service and after that, its for the month you are already in.  She said to me that the monthly charges that are listed on my bill for Aug - Sep are actually just showing me what my next month's bill will be.  Sad thing is, she's been with the company 15 years and was a supervisor.  Yet, she doesn't even know what the billing policy is.

And like you, I paid for service I was not given.  

I was a loyal AT&T customer for 15 years, never having a late payment, with phones and internet and TV, and couldn't get service at my apartment for the last 4 years.  Not once did they credit my account for outages that lasted days, even though I was promised on multiple occasions that they would.

When I finally decided to switch because it was causing me to have problems doing my schoolwork, I was in the beginning of my billing cycle.  But even though my service was canceled, they wouldn't allow me to cancel my autopay. 

I think more people need to start getting their service elsewhere and maybe then AT&T won't feel like it is okay to steal from people.

Sylvia

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

3 years ago

@slykelley There are two sets of date on the bill. At the top the just completed cycle is listed. In the body of the bill the dates of the service billed in advance are listed. 

For example, a September 1 bill will show the cycle of August 1 to August 31 at the top. Throughout the bill, it will list charges for service from September 1 to September 30. 

You are billed in advance, to the Sept 1-30 dates are for the month to come (as of the bill date) and are what you are paying for each bill. Service is canceled at the end of the given cycle, no matter when you stop using it. In this case, that would be September 30. 

That is the way AT&T and all major cell phone providers have operated for years. It is clearly laid out in the terms of service we all have to agree to. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

3 years ago

@slykelley

To be more exact, you are billed during, and pay during, your existing bill cycle.

Your bill is produced for your current cycle about 5 days into your cycle, and is due 21 days later. 

Verizon bills the same.  According to T-Mobile website, they bill in a slightly different way for the first bill, but still bills during, and is paid during each month thereafter. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.