For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
shannaschueller's profile

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, February 24th, 2022 1:20 AM

Phone cannot make or receive calls

I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9+ that I bought already unlocked at Best Buy a few years ago.  I was able to receive a phone call last night, but today I can't make or receive calls. My internet, etc. work and I can send and receive texts but not calls. I called customer service from my work phone and she tried all she knew but nothing fixed it. I restarted multiple times, even tried safe mode, nothing changes.  I got a new sim card. The rep used my phone to make a call and it worked.  I got to the parking lot and tried to make calls but couldn't. I went back in the store and he said there's nothing else he can try. I spoke to another customer there who had an unlocked galaxy S10 doing the same and that he had to get a new phone.

• 

211 Messages

2 years ago

@hyvonen you have an S20 5G,right?

Is it a factory unlocked phone? If so, then you probably need to find the carrier bloatware version and install that like @los123 did for the S10 G973U1.

basically, if the S20 is anything like the S10... There's 2 versions of the firmware. The U version has all the carrier files, like the CSC. The U1 has none of it. 

I guess at&t requires the csc for VOLTE, t mobile and verizon do not? 

• 

211 Messages

2 years ago

@hyvonen in the mean time, try samsung band selection app on play store. Set it to wcdma all. This will force your phone to use t mobile's 3G towers.

This a a very temporary fix, but should allow you to use your phone until your Sim arrive from us mobile. 

• 

13 Messages

2 years ago

@atthelp Thanks for the reply.  I have a S21 SM-G991U1 on Android 12 and the Feb 1 software update.  You said:

• Go to Settings > Connection > Mobile networks > Enhanced LTE services and select on.

For some reason the option for "Enhanced LTE Services" isn't even there?!  Not greyed out, just missing.  I don't have the "VoLTE calls" option and I don't have the "Wifi-Calling" option.  My wife's S10e has all those options.  What's wrong with my phone??? I bought it on Amazon in November.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

2 years ago

@centaurus3200

It has VoLTE on t- mo because t-mo doesn't use a proprietary coding.

Att and Verizon uses a variation on their existing system.  Anyone who uses T-Mobile in the past knows anything works as designed.  Essentially no carrier customization.  Att and Verizon have always used different coding. 

Att calls it HD voice.  Verizon calls it advanced calling. 

Can't wait for Verizon shut off.  Should be epic.  Especially since 3 out of 5 of ours are non branded.  (although Verizon has always blocked phones it didn't want on the network)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

2 years ago

@jimcrist

How old is your sim?

Did you purchase this phone and replace an older phone which is not whitelisted?

• 

211 Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas fair enough!

I'm debating trying to reflash my phone as @los123 did or just switch to T mobile.

I've never flashed a phone before, but I'm definitely not shy when it comes to computers n' stuff.

My gut says "cowboy up" and start flashing! 

• 

211 Messages

2 years ago

@jimcrist your phone is a U1. Meaning it has no carrier specific software on it. You'll need to reflash to the U version that's has all the bloatware, including ATT CSC files.

You'll have to research which version of the firmware you should get. 

Even if you don't want to flash yourself, you should figure out which firmware version to tell a phone repair place to use. 

... Or just switch to T mobile or metro pcs. That will work too! 

• 

13 Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas I got the sim from AT&T in November when I signed up for prepaid. Prior phone is a S7, which isn't whitelisted. @centaurus3200 I checked and the nearest repair place is about 100 miles away.  AT&T said they were going to push some new software to our phone.  It should have been here by now...

(edited)

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

Do you guys think flashing will make it work on first net too?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

2 years ago

@centaurus3200

Bloatware 🤣.  Let's not draw a picture of inflated, storage stealing apps.  

Bloat went out with the S7 series.   

There is hardly anything included, and anything that is can be Uninstalled.  What you'll get is basic carrier apps.   My 8, 9 and 10 and 21 series has nothing on it from the carrier, the typical Samsung pre-installs, nothing else I didn't install — other than boot screen. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.