Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Troubleshoot your device issues
jonrod's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, June 21st, 2017 9:58 PM

Why did Asurion send me a refurbished phone

Everyone in my family has insurance on their phone and every time one of our devices breaks we have received a new replacement. However this time I filed a claim and received a refurbished phone. I didn't buy a refurbished phone why would they send these?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@bluepuz wrote:

"Claims may be fulfilled with new, or AT&T Certified Restored equipment of the SAME or other models of like kind and quality."

that means the phone I bought from them is Brand new.... 

THEN I should get a brand new one not a unsealed refurbished one... 

No, that's not what the sentence means.

"Claims may be fulfilled with new, or AT&T Certified Restored equipment of the SAME or other models of like kind and quality."

That parses to:

• "fulfilled with new equipment of the same or other models of like kind and quality."
    OR
  •  "AT&T Certified Restored equipment of the same or other models of like kind and quality."

Pretty much we can send you your model or better in a restored model (but if we can't get anything close, you might get a new one).

just realized that after doing the math.. in totality of my 30 months of phone insurance payments plus claim deductible....

They just made me pay a total of $412 for a freaking phone that I could get online brand new for $130.... so disappointing.

They MADE you? No one made you...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

well you cannot file a claim without paying the deductible...

and you cannot have insurance if you dont pay the monthly premium.

and if I remember it right ...  the steps of claiming...  i didn't recall anything in there saying that I will be receiving a refurbished phone... coz if it was clearly stated.. I would have not proceeded with the claim .. knowing that I would be on the losing side... I might as well buy a new one.

"Pretty much we can send you your model or better in a restored model (but if we can't get anything close, you might get a new one".

I am pretty sure that if I didnt lose my phone... comparing it side by side to this phone that they gave me to my original phone... i bet my phone would be of more value...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

just let me know if there is an option of just returning this phone or not... 

coz i certainly will....

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@bluepuz wrote:

just let me know if there is an option of just returning this phone or not... 

coz i certainly will....

@bluepuz

contact asurion and ask they have customer service for a reason.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.8K Messages

6 years ago

@bluepuz

1.   You carried insurance on a 3.5 year old android phone, when you should have dropped it after 2 (if you carried it at all).  After year 2 you lose any benefit, vs just saving the $108 per year toward upgrading.  As you pointed out, you paid over $400 over time, but probably could have bought a mint replacement, or put that toward an upgrade.  

2.   The wording in Asurion agreement allows them to replace your phone with a like device if they have one, which is always their first choice.  You sent in a 3.5 year old used device, and that’s what you got back.  It’s a legit replacement if it works.

3.  Insurance is optional.  I don’t beleive it offers good value for the money and go without.  We bank $10 per phone, per month toward future purchases.  This year my fund bought a Google Pixel 2, Razer phone and oneplus 5t, and Samsung Galaxy S8 (used off eBay, $400)

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

My GPS randomly went out on my iPhone 6s so I filed an insurance claim. During the claim process, nothing is said about receiving a refurbished phone, nor was it mentioned when the AT&T sales associate was hounding me to agree to the insurance charge every month. Anyway, after filing the claim, I was also charged $112 for an iPhone 6s that had a damaged LCD, battery, and kept freezing at every moment.

So, I had to go through the process all over again.

AT&T also screws me over every month with their internet/directv bill. I have to call and get it adjusted EVERY MONTH for being charged for something I never signed up for. It is a new charge every month.. I would love to switch carries and internet/satellite but AT&T's bad service is almost better or equally as good as every other provider.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.8K Messages

6 years ago

@sadperson7 wrote:

My GPS randomly went out on my iPhone 6s so I filed an insurance claim. During the claim process, nothing is said about receiving a refurbished phone, nor was it mentioned when the AT&T sales associate was hounding me to agree to the insurance charge every month. Anyway, after filing the claim, I was also charged $112 for an iPhone 6s that had a damaged LCD, battery, and kept freezing at every moment.

So, I had to go through the process all over again.

AT&T also screws me over every month with their internet/directv bill. I have to call and get it adjusted EVERY MONTH for being charged for something I never signed up for. It is a new charge every month.. I would love to switch carries and internet/satellite but AT&T's bad service is almost better or equally as good as every other provider.

Since you missed it....ATT DOES NOT Insure your phones.  Asurion is the insurance provider for all mobile carriers.  And it’s optional.  Just understand you always have to pay for the phone no matter what happens to it.    

If Asurion send you a faulty device contact them right away for a replacement.   Your replacement is warranteed for up to one year 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

thanks for the tip liz...

i surely will cancel out my insurance once they fix this issue of mine and just avail it whe.n i upgrade to a note 8 or iphone 8 plus

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I did not miss the concept, thanks. I understand they cover all mobile carriers, so it is not AT&T's fault. My point is that AT&T does not explain how Asurion sends refurbished phones and still charges you. They simply just push the insurance saying its great and if you mess your phone up they will send you another! They sugar it up. Therefore, AT&T withholds information unless you go digging for it. But thats not too different from other large companies.

Either way, AT&T is still a money scam, along with Asurion. So they go great together.

Thanks!

Guru

• 

382 Messages

6 years ago

Here it is on their website.  They tell you up front that they may send a new or refurbished unit. 

Screenshot_20171208-150239.png

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.