Need your talk or text logs?
GavinOnAniPhone's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 29th, 2013 7:31 PM

Unlimited Data Plan and Personal Hotspot possible?

Hello all,

I have been a customer with AT&T for over 10 years now and was pretty disappointed with the conversation I just had with one of their customer service representatives. Since I first purchased an iPhone I have had the unlimited data plan for $30 that was required for purchase at the time. I recognize that since they've done away with unlimited data as an option, I have not gone over the 2GB $25 plan, but I still have opted to pay the extra for unlimited usage in case the day should come that I needed it. 

Today I called the customer service line to inquire about why I was not able to set up a personal hotspot (when I try, my phone tells me to contact AT&T). I was told that I would need to "upgrade" (don't get stuck on the terms) to a 2GB ($25) or 5GB ($50) monthly option in order to use this feature. Something about this seems off to me since I have been carrying forward a plan that AT&T required me to have in the first place, but now it disqualifies me from a feature of the phone - not due to capabilities, mind you.

Does anyone know if there is the ability to combine these two features? Really frustrated with AT&T for making it (seem hopefully) an impossibility.

Appreciated.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

can't read/understand what you are yelling

Former Employee

• 

78 Messages

10 years ago

Just like the old old old nation plans that gave unlimited calling in the same area codes but had long distance to other area codes the plans have certain restrictions. Unlimited data plans never included Tethering, furthermore can you imagine the bandwidth and latency issues everyone without an unlimited plan (even those with unlimited and Tethering) would experience if everyone who had unlimited was constantly Tethering their computers and tablets and so on? Anyone with an unlimited plan is grandfathered on their plan AND their restrictions. Check your data usage and switch to mobile share if Tethering is that important, you probably would pay less and still have more than enough data.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry, I get a lil excited, over excited, when I see people havan a problem n I hav a possible solution that wurkd for me. I wasn't meaning ta look like I wuz yelling. In one of my AT&T books, of tha 4 that came w/ ma new smartphone, in sum smaller print was written how 2 "Speak to Sumone n Customer Service". An Actual Person!! I had marked a note by THIS entry. For Sure! When u dial 611, it'z completely automated ta giv u UR acct balance n the remaining Gigabytes left n ur pre-purchased data balance. Then offers u other automated options....If after u heer ur data balance u immediately press the #4, the voice will say sumthan about shopping... Ignore Her n Press "0". She will then say something to the affect of: "Oh, You need someone in our Customer Service Department." N, U R on your way ta a Real Person. But, I hav had sum pretty "hairy" experiences there az w/ any Customer Service Center. N az U've ben reedn heer. Being Able to Understand tha Reps haz ben the most common az well az them not knowing anything about AT&T n their Plans n Services! YEAH! I finally DID get MY issue resolved. After jumping thru many hoops for TechSupport, come ta find out my new smartphone was a bad device n Warranty Service Replaced It. But I am still not treated w/ quite the same welcoming warmth n kindness az I was n the first couple months a my new service w/ AT&T. The main reason I left my former service when my contract wuz up.
Now I am glad I don't hafta contact them very often az my Warranty Replaced Phone Works Great! Like it should hav from purchase! N I can say something good... There R sum stellar agents on tha phone that will go Above n Beyond. Wish others would @ least try or call back when tha call iz disconnected n they can. They hav ALL ur info rite n front of them on their computer. N I hav had sum to call back when I had an issue, about a week later, to see how n what, if anything was better!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@FiercelyAblaze wrote:
Sorry, I get a lil excited, over excited, when I see people havan a problem n I hav a possible solution that wurkd for me. I wasn't meaning ta look like I wuz yelling. In one of my AT&T books, of tha 4 that came w/ ma new smartphone, in sum smaller print was written how 2 "Speak to Sumone n Customer Service". An Actual Person!! I had marked a note by THIS entry. For Sure! When u dial 611, it'z completely automated ta giv u UR acct balance n the remaining Gigabytes left n ur pre-purchased data balance. Then offers u other automated options....If after u heer ur data balance u immediately press the #4, the voice will say sumthan about shopping... Ignore Her n Press "0". She will then say something to the affect of: "Oh, You need someone in our Customer Service Department." N, U R on your way ta a Real Person. But, I hav had sum pretty "hairy" experiences there az w/ any Customer Service Center. N az U've ben reedn heer. Being Able to Understand tha Reps haz ben the most common az well az them not knowing anything about AT&T n their Plans n Services! YEAH! I finally DID get MY issue resolved. After jumping thru many hoops for TechSupport, come ta find out my new smartphone was a bad device n Warranty Service Replaced It. But I am still not treated w/ quite the same welcoming warmth n kindness az I was n the first couple months a my new service w/ AT&T. The main reason I left my former service when my contract wuz up.
@Now I am glad I don't hafta contact them very often az my Warranty Replaced Phone Works Great! Like it should hav from purchase! N I can say something good... There R sum stellar agents on tha phone that will go Above n Beyond. Wish others would @ least try or call back when tha call iz disconnected n they can. They hav ALL ur info rite n front of them on their computer. N I hav had sum to call back when I had an issue, about a week later, to see how n what, if anything was better!

Must be a generation gap. Even without the caps, I have no idea what you are trying to say. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

You just proved ma point Sir. Generation Gap? Are ya almost a hundred years old? U don't text much, do you? Or is it Ma'am? So very sorry about this huge misunderstanding. If, in the future, I may know something that could help someone...
I won't know anything about the issue. As I will no longer visit the forums. Thank You.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

This is another way AT&T is trying to strong arm customers to move away from the Unlimited data plan.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@golfer4fun wrote:

This is another way AT&T is trying to strong arm customers to move away from the Unlimited data plan.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Actually no, tethering has never been available to the consumer level unlimited data plan, there was a enterprise version that was about 25.00 higher that allowed somewhere around 5GB for tethering

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, yes it is. AT&T is trying to make the new plans/offers more and more attractive, not just to grandfathered unlimited customers, but everyone.

One day you may decide it's worth it to change. There's nothing wrong with that. Just like there's nothing wrong with keeping your old services exactly the same. (both for you to keep them, and AT&T to keep them the same)

Whether it's tethering, facetime, some brand new X & Y service, it would be nice to have them, but there's no reasonable expectation you should expect to get them, without keeping up with the new plans

As for the generation gap, I have done texting quite a bit as a teen, but don't write that way in a unless I'm trying to keep it under 150 characters and even then rarely. It's an eyesore to read/make sense of.

-Alex

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

I just switched from my unlimited data as I could get 10GB for my two lines with unlimited call and text WITH tethering for less! If you want tethering so you don't have to have home internet, that's not what it's for! It's for the occasional tethering not as a primary ISP. You all need to get wifi at home is all. 

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

@Jwil736 wrote:

I just switched from my unlimited data as I could get 10GB for my two lines with unlimited call and text WITH tethering for less! If you want tethering so you don't have to have home internet, that's not what it's for! It's for the occasional tethering not as a primary ISP. You all need to get wifi at home is all. 

^ That right there is exactly what AT&T is trying to avoid ^

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.