Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
GavinOnAniPhone

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Jan 29, 2013 7:31 PM

Unlimited Data Plan and Personal Hotspot possible?

Hello all,

I have been a customer with AT&T for over 10 years now and was pretty disappointed with the conversation I just had with one of their customer service representatives. Since I first purchased an iPhone I have had the unlimited data plan for $30 that was required for purchase at the time. I recognize that since they've done away with unlimited data as an option, I have not gone over the 2GB $25 plan, but I still have opted to pay the extra for unlimited usage in case the day should come that I needed it. 

Today I called the customer service line to inquire about why I was not able to set up a personal hotspot (when I try, my phone tells me to contact AT&T). I was told that I would need to "upgrade" (don't get stuck on the terms) to a 2GB ($25) or 5GB ($50) monthly option in order to use this feature. Something about this seems off to me since I have been carrying forward a plan that AT&T required me to have in the first place, but now it disqualifies me from a feature of the phone - not due to capabilities, mind you.

Does anyone know if there is the ability to combine these two features? Really frustrated with AT&T for making it (seem hopefully) an impossibility.

Appreciated.

Responses

loganic

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

6 years ago

I don't anticipate that staying that way for long. There's a reason Sprint is having financial difficulty.

I remember a few months ago, Sprint was going to be bought by japanese investors. I think that fell through, but instead of that, there's the merger with Tmobile.

I wonder if Sprint will have to adopt Tmobiles 2.5gb throttling.

-Alex

wildfish

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Hey aguywhoknows!

I was able to use a potable hot app with my unlimited data plan on my Samsung GS4 last Sept 2013. Apparently that option has been removed. 

So I guess you don't know all!!!!

wildfish

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Hey aguywhoknows!

I was able to use a potable hotspot app with my unlimited data plan on my Samsung GS4 last Sept 2013. Apparently that option has been removed. 

wildfish

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

@aGuyWhoKnows wrote:
Just like the old old old nation plans that gave unlimited calling in the same area codes but had long distance to other area codes the plans have certain restrictions. Unlimited data plans never included Tethering, furthermore can you imagine the bandwidth and latency issues everyone without an unlimited plan (even those with unlimited and Tethering) would experience if everyone who had unlimited was constantly Tethering their computers and tablets and so on? Anyone with an unlimited plan is grandfathered on their plan AND their restrictions. Check your data usage and switch to mobile share if Tethering is that important, you probably would pay less and still have more than enough data.

Hey aguywhoknows!

I was able to use a potable hotspot app with my unlimited data plan on my Samsung GS4 last Sept 2013. Apparently that option has been removed. 

wildfish

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I was able to use a portable hotspot with my unlimited plan in Sept 2013. but not today!!! So yes they are trying to get everyone off of the unlimited data plans. So count on more restrictions to your limited unlimited plan.

ATT should be ashamed for treating there longtime customers this way!!!!!

wildfish

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Hey ATT, problem not solved!!!!

loganic

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T is not allowing tethering with data unlimited. It's a choice, not an accidentaly problem.

Your T&C do not allow for using tethering without an appopriate plan.

Continued use of the tethering app may lead you to lose your unlimited and be switched to a plan that does have tethering included

-Alex

Edit : There's a whole series of people complaining about that

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

why not make it available for grandfathered UNLIMITED plans? wouldn't that be customer centric? and sensible as those customers have UNLIMITED plans that can benefit from the Hotspot. Why should we give up our UNLIMITED plan, why not make it part of the UNLIMITED package? Another reason why UNLIMITED is LIMITED. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T = Comcast

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

It seems to be hit and miss.  There was a time our home wifi was interrupted for an extended time.  My wife works from home and telecommutes so having it down while AT&T fumbled around and sent out multiple routers, and then semi-incompetent technicians was really not an option.  I do have the  unlimited plan and my son downloaded and set up my phone as a hotspot.  This worked fine (actually, at times BETTER that the wireless) while they were trying and failing to find the issue with our wifi.  Turns out some incompetent person installing another service at the distrubution box somehow  disconnected ours.  Almost 2 weeks.

Now, if I try to use the same app to activate hotspot, I get the same message everyone else gets, about calling 611 or going to att.com/mywireless. This was after one of their infamous software updates.  If they had ever got around to trying to charge me 'extra' for using it as hotspot while they were not meeting their contractual oblications with our wifi, I would have have my legal team involved the very next day. 

After being a very early adopter of the AT&T Cellular service, after decades of  use and very few issues (other than they always seem to be more than the others), this is my one dissatisfaction point.  We bought the absolute top line plan availalbe, and now they don't want to support it.  Once they 'sunset' unlimited, as someone said, we will move on to another carrier.  Customer Loyalty has no rewards in this arena these days....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I was recently told (while on the phone with a customer service rep) that the reason why tethering did not work with unlimited data was because of "technology" and that there would be a time in the not so distant future that tethering would be compatible with unlimited data. Now, either this person was completely misinformed or they were just trying to get me off the phone. Can someone please tell me why my unlimited data plan cannot use tethering at this point?
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.6K Messages

5 years ago

Tethering on unlimited data plans are not, nor will ever be allowed.
Your unlimited data plan is for the one device only and may not be shared with other devices.

The person you spoke to had no clue. It has nothing to do with a lack of technology and everything to do with a block on those accounts.

I have a paid data plan and tether often.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Verizon currently still offers tethering to customers on unlimited data plans, as follows:

If the Verizon subscriber has a 3G device, tethering is $20 per month for 2GB and $20 for each additional 1GB, chargeable only in full 1GB increments.

If the Verizon subscriber has a 4G LTE device, unlimited tethering is $30 per month.

The Verizon subscriber can add or remove these features at will. A Verizon customer with grandfathered unlimited data who has previously never elected any tethering option can newly activate it at any time and will be charged accordingly. Some old Verizon plans with limited data involved a separate charge for the ability to use the mobile hotspot; for such plans there was only one common data limit shared between handset and mobile hotspot. All currently offered Verizon plans allow use of mobile hotspot feature at no additional charge; mobile hotspot usage and handset data will both consume the subscriber's data allowance.

AT&T has never made any option for tethering available to a customer with unlimited data. An AT&T customer with unlimited data was never able to pay extra to get any amount of mobile hotspot usage (limited or not). An AT&T customer with unlimited data desiring mobile hotspot must first switch to a currently offered limited data plan. Some previous AT&T plans with limited data had a mobile hotspot add-on available at an extra cost, and with data tracking and limit separate from the handset's data allowance. All currently offered AT&T plans include the mobile hotspot feature at no extra charge; use of this feature will count against your data allowance. There is only one data allowance for such plans, and handset usage and mobile hotspot usage both count against that common data limit.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

It should be an easy fix for them. They should offer 5 gigs of tethering a month at regular speed and then slow it down after that is utilized. It's an easy fix to satisfy the customers that have been with them since the unlimited plan was an option.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

First, for all those who say tethering is not available are incorrect.  There are some software solutions (FoxFi, etc.) that DO allow tethering.  A couple years ago, it was easy, partiuclarly for USB tethering.  However ATT fixed that hole with sneaky software updates.  Now it is tough to use independent software solutions to tether.  However, they are still out there.  The more people support this independent tethering software development and their efforts to keep a step or two ahead of greedy phone companies, the more likely it will be to keep the software developers in business.  There are also more brute-force solutions: just crack the hardware.  Again, there are folks who can do that.

That being said, I, like an apparent overwellming majority of ATT customers, we are tired of being screwed by ATT (of course other companies are sometimes marginally worse or better than ATT).  Thus, with no effort for ATT to build and maintain loyal customer base, it is easy to just keep looking and switching for the better deal — and switch carriers.  I have done this with land line phone service, DSL service, etc.  My cell phone is the last device / option to hold out.  ATT's current strategy is to make things so miserable for long-term customers that they drop a really good thing: an unlimited data plan — drop it for a plan that is multiple times more expensive.

ATT _could_ strongly encourage folks to stay with them by offering some sort of incentives to folks who have been with them for many years; in my case, since 1991.  They _could_ let us swap out our unlimited plan for 20GB or something.  Now, they want my $70 monthly plan to go from unlimited data (and potential on the sly tethering) to a 20GB data plan for $180!!  It is no wonder why no one thinks ATT is a great company who cares about its customers.  The only thing they appear to care for keeping is squeezing as much money from customers as possible, and to (censored “Hbad Eword” LL) with loyalty.

Get started...

Ask a new question