Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
GavinOnAniPhone

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Jan 29, 2013 7:31 PM

Unlimited Data Plan and Personal Hotspot possible?

Hello all,

I have been a customer with AT&T for over 10 years now and was pretty disappointed with the conversation I just had with one of their customer service representatives. Since I first purchased an iPhone I have had the unlimited data plan for $30 that was required for purchase at the time. I recognize that since they've done away with unlimited data as an option, I have not gone over the 2GB $25 plan, but I still have opted to pay the extra for unlimited usage in case the day should come that I needed it. 

Today I called the customer service line to inquire about why I was not able to set up a personal hotspot (when I try, my phone tells me to contact AT&T). I was told that I would need to "upgrade" (don't get stuck on the terms) to a 2GB ($25) or 5GB ($50) monthly option in order to use this feature. Something about this seems off to me since I have been carrying forward a plan that AT&T required me to have in the first place, but now it disqualifies me from a feature of the phone - not due to capabilities, mind you.

Does anyone know if there is the ability to combine these two features? Really frustrated with AT&T for making it (seem hopefully) an impossibility.

Appreciated.

Responses

Busternutt

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

If someone said it is not available, what they actually mean is it is not "allowed" (see your TOS). Even with the software work around, ATT can see if another device is tethered and shut off your service, if they want to. If enough customers find a work around that can't be tracked, ATT could just end all unlimited service and force you to select a current plan. Your contract for 2 years of unlimited service expired long ago meaning ATT has fulfilled your contract and can end unlimited service anytime it wants to. You are now on month to month service and either party can end it with 30 days notice.

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

We can always try to get another couple thousand people and cancel service with AT&T. Maybe that will get the point accross. "Power of the People "
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

5 years ago

@jonbond

To give up an unlimited data plan?  A service they can't get anywhere else?

Do the math.  Those unlimited customers cost more to keep.  Nothing would please any of the carriers more than to lose those unlimited plans.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Given that the unlimited data plan was offered by ATT and there is no reason one should drop it just because ATT realized it was not a good business model, isn't it against the law that ATT would refuse an option to some of their customers just because it doesn't like their plan?
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Jeep642 wrote:
Given that the unlimited data plan was offered by ATT and there is no reason one should drop it just because ATT realized it was not a good business model, isn't it against the law that ATT would refuse an option to some of their customers just because it doesn't like their plan?

@Jeep642

nope tethering was against the TOS when they signed up for service back in the unlimited days.  ITs also still in the TOS that unlimited cant tether.  

Also there is no law that att cant change out of contract plans.  Look at verizon they gave 30 days notice if you keep your unlimited data plan the price is going from 29.99 to 49.99.  Happens to those folks this week.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Jeep642

I keep reading your post and not sure I understand what you are saying, so I'm going to guess..

1.   throw the word illegal out entirely.  As long as a contract is written fairly they have the right to place reasonable restrictions on the service.

2.  I can confirm that any carrier has written in to their agreement that they can change or terminate their plan at any time.  

ATT has never allowed tethering with unlimited data, they don't have to and they won't.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

ATTJulie - yes, it helps make me angry. Grandfathered plans should getter better treatment, not worse.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Mnmis1

@Mnmis1 wrote:
ATTJulie - yes, it helps make me angry. Grandfathered plans should getter better treatment, not worse.

Why?   And how are you so poorly treated?

Current plan users pay a lot more for a lot less data.  You never get an overage charge.

Verizon customers are being billed another $20 a month to keep unlimited data plans. 

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Same here I have unlimited data and I called to enable that feature in my Samsung S6 Edge + and I was told I am not qualified due to my unlimited data plan. And the rep also told me that I might open a Internet caffee and use this plan to give service or I might share my hotspot to my neighbors since its unlimited. Hahahaha! What a freaking mooron?!?  What kind of people they hire at ATT? Don't they know 99% of the population has internet access and do we really have time to open a shop, get a lease, permits and hire employees just to take advantage of ATT unlimited plan? Not even my son which we switch him from ATT to Metro PCS now have a hotspot unlimited feature cap at 3 gb in his iphone, a 15 year old even knows best not to open his hotspot to anyone but for his own use for his laptop at the library. ATT please move forward, as mention also from rep that we might be playing Xbox online from our phone hotspot. Seriously? Serious gamer use serious components for that we'll use Cable High Speed Internet from Comcast not your mediocre cell phone internet. ATT please move forward.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

we just upgraded our plan to the unlimited and now the Hotspot and stuff does not work.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

@pb1970

If you have AT&T for cell service you did not just upgrade to unlimited data, since it is January 2016. AT&T has not offered this option since 2010 and strongly wants all existing customers off it, hence their heavy-handed throttling practice that provoked the FTC to propose a $100 million fine. AT&T has denied any wrongdoing and has objected to the fine.

NOTE: Part of the previous paragraph is wrong. I was unaware that a new plan was recently introduced.

If you have a grandfathered [or the newly offered] unlimited data plan they will not let you activate the official mobile hotspot feature of your smartphone. If you call to activate it they will, possibly without your clear understanding, take you off your unlimited data plan; this change will be irreversible.

Assuming you do have the grandfathered unlimited data plan, one might be tempted to "jailbreak" your phone or install unofficial apps in an effort to enable your smartphone to become a mobile hotspot with unlimited data. If AT&T discovers or even merely suspects you are doing this they may shut off your service entirely, move you to a currently offered service plan, or, less likely, merely send you a warning letter. There may be additional adverse consequences to "jailbreaking" your device and any such apps may be rogue and may perform unsavory activities and may not even do what they purport to do. Don't do it.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Gregg3Gs

Your information is dated.  ATT introduced a new unlimited plan for Direct TV and Uverse customers.   

http://about.att.com/story/unlimited_plan_for_wireless_and_directv_subscribers.html

ATT was not fined for "throttling".   They have not been fined at all.  They were threatened with a fine for "Not adequately notifying customers of the throttle policy". Which they have since been VERY clear is not throttled, but reprioritized at 22 GBs.

@pb1970

ATT policy has always been, unlimited data is limited to one device only.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

You are correct. There is a newly offered unlimited mobile talk, text, and data plan on AT&T for customers who also have DIRECTV. Thank you for informing me of this.

The link below is to the FAQ for your new AT&T unlimited data plan. It explicitly states that the mobile hotspot feature will not be available for devices on this plan. Your options are similar to people on the original grandfathered unlimited data plan. "Jailbreaking" your phone and/or downloading unofficial apps to circumvent this is prohibited and violates the Terms of Service and will result in sanctions should AT&T become aware you have done so.

https://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/unlimited-plan.html
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Gregg3Gs

Tread carefully.   Rooting or jailbreaking can be mentioned, but it stops there.

Customers who tether on an unlimited plan will have their plan terminated if the tether in any way.

They will be moved to a limited data plan.

ATT knows if you tether....

image.jpeg

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

It's a complete ripoff. I've always had an option to use my hotspot with my iPhone. I switched to the unlimited data plan this morning and that feature is gone. Not only is somewhat a security breach that they have the option to change my phone however they see fit, it's also absolutely absurd that I get an "unlimited data plan" and the first thing I learn is my phones capabilities are now limited. If I'm paying for unlimited data I should be able to use it as I please. I've been an AT&T customer since 2006 and it's one disappointment after another.

Get started...

Ask a new question