Need your talk or text logs?
GavinOnAniPhone's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 29th, 2013 7:31 PM

Unlimited Data Plan and Personal Hotspot possible?

Hello all,

I have been a customer with AT&T for over 10 years now and was pretty disappointed with the conversation I just had with one of their customer service representatives. Since I first purchased an iPhone I have had the unlimited data plan for $30 that was required for purchase at the time. I recognize that since they've done away with unlimited data as an option, I have not gone over the 2GB $25 plan, but I still have opted to pay the extra for unlimited usage in case the day should come that I needed it. 

Today I called the customer service line to inquire about why I was not able to set up a personal hotspot (when I try, my phone tells me to contact AT&T). I was told that I would need to "upgrade" (don't get stuck on the terms) to a 2GB ($25) or 5GB ($50) monthly option in order to use this feature. Something about this seems off to me since I have been carrying forward a plan that AT&T required me to have in the first place, but now it disqualifies me from a feature of the phone - not due to capabilities, mind you.

Does anyone know if there is the ability to combine these two features? Really frustrated with AT&T for making it (seem hopefully) an impossibility.

Appreciated.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Both my wife and I have been with ATT quite a while with grandfathered unlimited plans.  We almost never go over 2 gb data on either phone.  It would appear, as mentioned here, that we could go on a family share plan, unilmited text and phone, 10 gb data for about 130 a month as opposed to the combine total of about 185 that we are currently paying for our separate plans.  We would gain the ability to use each phone as a personal hot spot from time to time.  Having this option in the car allowing us to use a WIFI iPad from time to time would be a benefit.  Hard to give up the thought of both those phones on unlimited but it seems to make sense.  Any feed back is appreciated.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@dontheman wrote:

Both my wife and I have been with ATT quite a while with grandfathered unlimited plans.  We almost never go over 2 gb data on either phone.  It would appear, as mentioned here, that we could go on a family share plan, unilmited text and phone, 10 gb data for about 130 a month as opposed to the combine total of about 185 that we are currently paying for our separate plans.  We would gain the ability to use each phone as a personal hot spot from time to time.  Having this option in the car allowing us to use a WIFI iPad from time to time would be a benefit.  Hard to give up the thought of both those phones on unlimited but it seems to make sense.  Any feed back is appreciated.

I gave up unlimited data and switched to mobile share pretty much for the same reasons. Both my wife and I have used the mobile hotspot when traveling for our wifi only iPads. It is a very nice option to have. Just be advised that if you switch you are pretty much committed to paying full price for a new phone when it is time to upgrade.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Ask about the price increase when you upgrade the phone. That's what I was told as I dug for more answers. The price looked lower but returned higher if/when I upgrade. This is for the folks who like to upgrade to new tech at every new update. I'm not one of them it hasn't made financial sense to change my plan yet still waiting for ATT to support those who are loyal with a good plan that's balanced.

Sent from my iPad

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@dontheman wrote:

My wife & I were in the same boat as you, except my wife was also using about 5.5GB of data each month, so she was getting throttled during the last week or so of the month.  We made teh decision to switch to the 10GB Mobile Share plan.  With our cororate discount we are paying about $117-118/month for the 2 iPhones.  My wife still uses about 5.5-6GB permonth, but she is no longer throttled, and since I seldom use more than 2GB in a month we have still never gone over 7GB total usage in a single month.

Somone did comment about the prices when you upgrade your phones.  You should be aware, that on the Mobile Share plans, you will be getting a discount if your current contract phones had the contracts started prior to 02/01/2014.  When you decide to upgrade to a new phone, if you go with a contract subsidized phone, you will pay $25/month more for each upgraded phone on your account.  If you choose not to go with a contract subsidized phone (purchase full price from AT&T, or another vendor, or purchase using an AT&T NEXT program) you will keep that $25/phone discount.  When you look at the AT&T contract subsidies, they are $450 or less per phone, so the $25/month can save you more money over the 2 year period, but you will have to pay the full price ($650 for a 16GB iPhone vs the $200 subsidized price) for your new phones.  Paying the full price will save you about $150 over the 24 month period, but it is a shock to see that much money go out for a new phone.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

News flash!!! Every wireless company has Asurion at the cost of 7 samolians to cover water damage... Duhhh, it insurance. And did everyone sudenly forget how insurance works? Monthly charge plus co-pay. Its works the same with any type of insurance. And whats this loyalty?? What are you adog looking for a bone. No.. Your a person paying for a service. At least i think you are. And ohhhh, wait i didnt see all that money you pay, WOW!! At&t is probobly still in business just cause of you, it probably isn't for the companies that pay $250,000 a month. I say go to sprint and enjoy unlimited everything. Cause they certainly wont throttle you, "wink wink". Im sure they apreciate your loyalty you dog!

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

I don't anticipate that staying that way for long. There's a reason Sprint is having financial difficulty.

I remember a few months ago, Sprint was going to be bought by japanese investors. I think that fell through, but instead of that, there's the merger with Tmobile.

I wonder if Sprint will have to adopt Tmobiles 2.5gb throttling.

-Alex

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Hey aguywhoknows!

I was able to use a potable hot app with my unlimited data plan on my Samsung GS4 last Sept 2013. Apparently that option has been removed. 

So I guess you don't know all!!!!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Hey aguywhoknows!

I was able to use a potable hotspot app with my unlimited data plan on my Samsung GS4 last Sept 2013. Apparently that option has been removed. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

@aGuyWhoKnows wrote:
Just like the old old old nation plans that gave unlimited calling in the same area codes but had long distance to other area codes the plans have certain restrictions. Unlimited data plans never included Tethering, furthermore can you imagine the bandwidth and latency issues everyone without an unlimited plan (even those with unlimited and Tethering) would experience if everyone who had unlimited was constantly Tethering their computers and tablets and so on? Anyone with an unlimited plan is grandfathered on their plan AND their restrictions. Check your data usage and switch to mobile share if Tethering is that important, you probably would pay less and still have more than enough data.

Hey aguywhoknows!

I was able to use a potable hotspot app with my unlimited data plan on my Samsung GS4 last Sept 2013. Apparently that option has been removed. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I was able to use a portable hotspot with my unlimited plan in Sept 2013. but not today!!! So yes they are trying to get everyone off of the unlimited data plans. So count on more restrictions to your limited unlimited plan.

ATT should be ashamed for treating there longtime customers this way!!!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.