For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
ppmguire's profile

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 8:51 PM

Gigapower - Youtube Throttling #2

Since the last topic was closed, I'll make another one. That topic was created in January with a slew of "band aids" but nothing in that topic is concrete besides AT&T's issue with Youtube or the trip in between. It's almost October and I still see this issue pop up quite a bit, fellow neighbors getting Gigapower and asking me "does Youtube load slow for you?". I have had Gigapower 1Gb since May in a new neighborhood in Fort Worth, Texas and this issue has been a persistent pest since day 1. Before I had Frontier 150/150 and not once had a single issue with service in terms of speed or responsiveness of services/websites. All of the bandaids listed in the previous thread are just that, bandaids, a temporary work around for the problem that has never been resolved between AT&T and Google. 

• Change DNS (Google or otherwise)
  • DIsable IPV6
  • Reset network equipment
  • Disable QUIC Protocol (this is made moot when other browsers act the same way)
  • Passthrough to new router
  • Port forwarding / DMZ

These are all things that may or may not temporarily fix this issue and I hate that the other thread was closed based on an assumption that Chrome's QUIC was the actual culprit, it's not. Matter a fact, I've had that disabled since they introduced it in beta builds. I still have this issue with Youtube on ANY device in my house besides mobile (for the reasons outlined in the other thread, the path from AT&T to Google and back is different for the mobile app). Since people are successfully bypassing this issue with a VPN it proves that it's not client side period. I may be talking to a brick wall here but the other thread had a guy that allegedly was communicating with NOC people. The only thing that I haven't seen suggested on a back end side is, has anybody looked into the possibility that it could be Akamai caching causing the slowdown? Has anybody tried to see if Youtube traffic is flowing through their traffic/caching service? Can the NOC guys confirm whether or not we are getting a direct link or flowing through a service such as Akamai? As a very heavy user I can pretty much attest that AT&T is not throttling us. With speeds like these we are limited to the speed of the other end and latency/distance. Thing is, the traces posted in the other thread had timeouts and we cannot be certain where the hop was that timed out. Maybe somebody can provide more feedback but I'm almost certain AT&T is flowing through somewhere that is a considerate bottleneck for Youtube. Youtube is the only issue I've had so far.

Equipment I'm using:
Completely bypassed BGW210-700

Ubiquiti USG 3

Ubiquiti Unifi 16XG
Ubiquiti Unifi 16port POE switch

Ubiquiti AC-PRO-AP

Assortment of other Ubiquiti switches etc

ALL CAT6a FTP cabling

Here is a picture of my traffic for this month up and down, and a picture showing about 80GB of Akamai and without digging with Wireshark I have no idea what sites are flowing through it. 

traffic.JPGtraffic 2.JPG

2 Attachments

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

There was one person that said he filed complains with FCC few times on the other thread.

I had this internet installed yesterday and still didn't see 1GB, it's actually slower than my 300MB from TWC. Youtube is very slow, unless using a VPN.

I already tried all the QUIC, UDP 80 and 443 and nothing works. I am calling tomorrow to cancel.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

7 years ago

I've finally gotten word from AT&T that they will be running Fiber to my home.  I'm currently using an Huawei B890 4G LTE Smart Hub on T-mobile with a high gain antenna for my home internet because the only other option I had was DSL.  It works very well but when AT&T agreed to run Fiber to my home I was chomping at the bit to switch.  Now reading about YouTube throttling gives me pause. 

Can someone clarify for me?  Does the throttling only happen on desktops?  So if you stream YouTube over WiFi to a mobile device not issue?  What about SmartTVs, PS4, Xbox, Roku, Chromecasts, etc?

Very difficult to get good info here.  

Lastly, has anyone filed an FCC compliant over this issue?  Has anyone thought about bringing this to Gizmodo or any other website that could run an article on this and raise visibility? 

Youtube isn't technically being throttled, there's a timeout in the route causing the stream to stop loading. This in my own testing has only been on desktops, TV, and consoles. Mobile apps seems to take a different path. I don't get buffering on any phone, tablet, or my Nvidia Shield. The only info we know is what I've provided and a few trcrt capped from the other thread. I have a feeling we haven't gotten any real traction on this thread because I've basted away the band aids with facts.

There was one person that said he filed complains with FCC few times on the other thread.

I had this internet installed yesterday and still didn't see 1GB, it's actually slower than my 300MB from TWC. Youtube is very slow, unless using a VPN.

I already tried all the QUIC, UDP 80 and 443 and nothing works. I am calling tomorrow to cancel.

Not to be nitpicky, but it's going to be 1Gb and 300Mb respectively, and you'll never get a full 1Gb service due to overhead. They state this clearly too. At almost any given time I can easily speedtest over 900Mb to any part of the States. If you're trying to test on wifi you'll never get those speeds, and it appears you can get more consecutive performance with your own networking hardware because the gateways they provide have always sucked. After helping a few people in my neighborhood we all always get over 900Mb down and up. Youtube is the issue at hand though, and that won't be fixed until this issue gets some real traction. For now I just wait a bit then it goes and once it goes it doesn't buffer again. It's annoying as h3ll for the service itself but Gigapower is cheaper than Frontier in my area so I deal with it (and faster).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Not to be nitpicky, but it's going to be 1Gb and 300Mb respectively...

I was using the GB and MB so no one comes in trying to correct anything, it's just easier to read (it was simply UI).

Anyways, using my wifi I am able to transfer files at max speed (around 850Mbps) and PC to MAC I got 10Gbps. Using the router I get the 1Gbps speed from MAC to PC (did the other way transfer).

But I agree, it's something with Youtube and videos that haven't been watched a lot. If you open a famous video, trending, lots of views, everything is fast and smooth, but as soon as you open a video not so trending and low views, 144p for you and it still buffers! Smiley Frustrated

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

7 years ago

I was using the GB and MB so no one comes in trying to correct anything, it's just easier to read (it was simply UI).

Sorry, I'm not really following here. It gets confusing when people mix up caps for byte and bit because I could say I was transferring at 10GB/s when really I meant 10Gb which is really 1280MB/s theoretical. When talking internet speeds it really does make a pretty big difference. Just like with wifi, were you transferring at 106MB/s between machines or only looking at your wireless connection speed of 850Mb/s? They're 2 different things as wifi is half duplex, whereas ethernet and in turn Gigapower (fiber) is full symmetrical. Now I realize that tech like AD can saturate 1Gb with compatible hardware on all levels, but in terms of speedtesting if you have hardware like this you shouldn't have any issues unless something isn't setup right. 

But I agree, it's something with Youtube and videos that haven't been watched a lot. If you open a famous video, trending, lots of views, everything is fast and smooth, but as soon as you open a video not so trending and low views, 144p for you and it still buffers!

Can't really agree here. I watch Linus Tech Tips which is one of the highest subscribed channels and consecutive video views on YT on a regular basis and their videos still buffer. I can test by watching a Pewdiepie video too and will still get a buffer. It appears to be random whenever Youtube won't buffer and doesn't seem consecutive with any time of day either. At first I figured it might be peak hours and AT&T just doesn't have the backend for all subs, but seems to not be the case. Definitely isn't the case when I can download off of Origin/Steam/Bnet at over 90MB/s at 5PM on a Friday too. It's a ridiculous issue and I wish it would get resolved, but I refuse to go back to cable after ditching it 3 years ago.

Explorer

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Bump for jumpingmouse 

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the bump, but doesn't look like we'll get any traction. Since I work with a few Youtubers, I upload to Youtube and need to playback for quality inspection, AND watch a lot of Youtube myself I've been considering getting a cheap Spectrum line and routing all local Youtube traffic through the cable connection. Pretty sad I'll have to pay for a second connection when in reality I should be able to easily stream 5+ 4K videos at the same time with room to spare and have no buffering. Just earlier this morning (about 3:30AM) I had to keep pausing a 4K video because it would load 5 seconds then just quit. Youtube would compensate by trying to put quality on 360p, this is just unbearable and pathetic to say the least. Then I got my best friend who swears up and down he has 0 issues watching Youtube. Time to dust off my pfsense server I suppose. 

Before anybody says it'd be easier to VPN, it'd actually be easier to just route all YT traffic than to explain to the other 4 in my house why they need to turn this VPN thing on/off to watch videos. 

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

I can't take this 240p youtube anymore. Lots of people in Oklahoma are having this issue as well. About switch back to cox. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Same here in Houston TX. Youtube is basically unusable more than half of the time.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

One thing I've found that helps is to let it sit and buffer YouTube for 30 seconds or so, or play for 30+ seconds in 240p or 144p or whatever it starts at, then start refreshing the page over and over.  Instead of stats for nerds showing a 100-1000 kbps connection, it will suddenly jump to 40-50 Mbps and load a big chunk and sometimes as high as 200-500 Mbps, loading the whole video instantly.  

My theory is that they are caching YouTube content on their end through a small pipe, then when they get a copy they blast it all out to you at full speed.

I am in new construction with 1 Gbps service and a newish i7/16 GB/SSD computer connected to the BGW-210 by gigabit ethernet and it feels slower than our old Time Warner 100/10 Mbps cable which never buffered, let you skip around YouTube videos with no lags or rebuffering and Netflix didn't gradually ramp up to 4K over a few minutes, it just started in 4K.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Things have been marginally better today, now it's bouncing between 2160 and 1440, with occasional dips to 1080. Network activity still shows 0kb for most of the video. Constantly switching from 2160 to 1080 as I'm typing this and its very annoying as its obvious when it happens. So frustrating.   

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.