For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
ppmguire's profile

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 8:51 PM

Gigapower - Youtube Throttling #2

Since the last topic was closed, I'll make another one. That topic was created in January with a slew of "band aids" but nothing in that topic is concrete besides AT&T's issue with Youtube or the trip in between. It's almost October and I still see this issue pop up quite a bit, fellow neighbors getting Gigapower and asking me "does Youtube load slow for you?". I have had Gigapower 1Gb since May in a new neighborhood in Fort Worth, Texas and this issue has been a persistent pest since day 1. Before I had Frontier 150/150 and not once had a single issue with service in terms of speed or responsiveness of services/websites. All of the bandaids listed in the previous thread are just that, bandaids, a temporary work around for the problem that has never been resolved between AT&T and Google. 

• Change DNS (Google or otherwise)
  • DIsable IPV6
  • Reset network equipment
  • Disable QUIC Protocol (this is made moot when other browsers act the same way)
  • Passthrough to new router
  • Port forwarding / DMZ

These are all things that may or may not temporarily fix this issue and I hate that the other thread was closed based on an assumption that Chrome's QUIC was the actual culprit, it's not. Matter a fact, I've had that disabled since they introduced it in beta builds. I still have this issue with Youtube on ANY device in my house besides mobile (for the reasons outlined in the other thread, the path from AT&T to Google and back is different for the mobile app). Since people are successfully bypassing this issue with a VPN it proves that it's not client side period. I may be talking to a brick wall here but the other thread had a guy that allegedly was communicating with NOC people. The only thing that I haven't seen suggested on a back end side is, has anybody looked into the possibility that it could be Akamai caching causing the slowdown? Has anybody tried to see if Youtube traffic is flowing through their traffic/caching service? Can the NOC guys confirm whether or not we are getting a direct link or flowing through a service such as Akamai? As a very heavy user I can pretty much attest that AT&T is not throttling us. With speeds like these we are limited to the speed of the other end and latency/distance. Thing is, the traces posted in the other thread had timeouts and we cannot be certain where the hop was that timed out. Maybe somebody can provide more feedback but I'm almost certain AT&T is flowing through somewhere that is a considerate bottleneck for Youtube. Youtube is the only issue I've had so far.

Equipment I'm using:
Completely bypassed BGW210-700

Ubiquiti USG 3

Ubiquiti Unifi 16XG
Ubiquiti Unifi 16port POE switch

Ubiquiti AC-PRO-AP

Assortment of other Ubiquiti switches etc

ALL CAT6a FTP cabling

Here is a picture of my traffic for this month up and down, and a picture showing about 80GB of Akamai and without digging with Wireshark I have no idea what sites are flowing through it. 

traffic.JPGtraffic 2.JPG

2 Attachments

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I just got the Gigapower installed Tuesday, and right away I noticed the same problem. VPN also solves Youtube, but VPN's are also slow compared to my 950megabit down/up I get. I'm pretty annoyed with the issue, and the one year contract I signed. Also, ATT's support is not really good. All you get is generic crap, and people saying 'all those streaming devices use a lot of bandwidth', or 'your connection is fine'.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I’ve read all threads/posts thoroughly. It’s obvious ATT doesn’t care.

This is a real issue, only lawyers or mass public outrage will solve this.

I’m seriously considering putting together a website in protest.  Something like

ATT-Throttle.com

I wonder how fast the lawyers send cease and desists.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

I hope this gets fixed it's driving me crazy. I had Comcast with 150down 20up with no issues like this does on youtube.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

Been a year or so and nothing, wouldn't get your hopes up. Use Opera with it's free VPN for only Youtube and appreciate the speed on other services. 

Somebody from AT&T PMd me asking for info but that's as far as it went.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Oh wow. Thanks for info I will try Opera browser for youtube then. I will say speed and unlimited data though is great on a positive note. 

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

I get significant speed in most areas and the only issue I have is Youtube, which seems to be the deal breaker for most people. As much as it bugs me to need a second browser just for Youtube I can at least deal with that in favor of significant overhead on daily usage. Downloads from speedy services like Steam, Battle.net, Microsoft, Origin, and other quick servers capping 100MB/s sometimes is exceptionally nice. Knowing absolutely everybody in my house can stream without bothering any other usage (or my servers), host my personal stuff, and not require local trafficking is also nice. The good far outweighs the bad, which would be requiring the use of their gateway for auth and slow Youtube. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

I'm piling on here with a "me too."

This is very frustrating.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Same issue here, absolutely pathetic for this level of service. I had to disable ipv6 to even get Netflix, etc to work properly in my house.. then switch everything over to google DNS to try to keep my services up any reasonable amount of time, now I am looking for another bandaid just to get youtube working properly. I highly doubt this is anything more than throttling aka "traffic engineering" too close to the amount we actually need (i.e. POOR traffic engineering) causing too much buffering. 

We will get the run around until the end of time. Then net neutrality will fall apart and they will use this exact same stuff they built to prove to us they need to charge us more for a "youtube HD" package when they themselves are deliberately slowing it

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

Did you read the thread? Use Opera browser for Youtube with their built in VPN. Nothing else has been an issue for me or anybody in my neighborhood, especially if you use an aftermarket router.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Opera free VPN is not fast enough for 4K. Either way it is irrelevant; you
should not have to use a free VPN to be able to stream even low quality
video from the most popular video website when connection speed is
advertised as 1gbps.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.