For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
ppmguire's profile

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 8:51 PM

Gigapower - Youtube Throttling #2

Since the last topic was closed, I'll make another one. That topic was created in January with a slew of "band aids" but nothing in that topic is concrete besides AT&T's issue with Youtube or the trip in between. It's almost October and I still see this issue pop up quite a bit, fellow neighbors getting Gigapower and asking me "does Youtube load slow for you?". I have had Gigapower 1Gb since May in a new neighborhood in Fort Worth, Texas and this issue has been a persistent pest since day 1. Before I had Frontier 150/150 and not once had a single issue with service in terms of speed or responsiveness of services/websites. All of the bandaids listed in the previous thread are just that, bandaids, a temporary work around for the problem that has never been resolved between AT&T and Google. 

• Change DNS (Google or otherwise)
  • DIsable IPV6
  • Reset network equipment
  • Disable QUIC Protocol (this is made moot when other browsers act the same way)
  • Passthrough to new router
  • Port forwarding / DMZ

These are all things that may or may not temporarily fix this issue and I hate that the other thread was closed based on an assumption that Chrome's QUIC was the actual culprit, it's not. Matter a fact, I've had that disabled since they introduced it in beta builds. I still have this issue with Youtube on ANY device in my house besides mobile (for the reasons outlined in the other thread, the path from AT&T to Google and back is different for the mobile app). Since people are successfully bypassing this issue with a VPN it proves that it's not client side period. I may be talking to a brick wall here but the other thread had a guy that allegedly was communicating with NOC people. The only thing that I haven't seen suggested on a back end side is, has anybody looked into the possibility that it could be Akamai caching causing the slowdown? Has anybody tried to see if Youtube traffic is flowing through their traffic/caching service? Can the NOC guys confirm whether or not we are getting a direct link or flowing through a service such as Akamai? As a very heavy user I can pretty much attest that AT&T is not throttling us. With speeds like these we are limited to the speed of the other end and latency/distance. Thing is, the traces posted in the other thread had timeouts and we cannot be certain where the hop was that timed out. Maybe somebody can provide more feedback but I'm almost certain AT&T is flowing through somewhere that is a considerate bottleneck for Youtube. Youtube is the only issue I've had so far.

Equipment I'm using:
Completely bypassed BGW210-700

Ubiquiti USG 3

Ubiquiti Unifi 16XG
Ubiquiti Unifi 16port POE switch

Ubiquiti AC-PRO-AP

Assortment of other Ubiquiti switches etc

ALL CAT6a FTP cabling

Here is a picture of my traffic for this month up and down, and a picture showing about 80GB of Akamai and without digging with Wireshark I have no idea what sites are flowing through it. 

traffic.JPGtraffic 2.JPG

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

BUMP I'm getting the same problems here. The problem is fixed when I use a VPN. Phone/chat support has been completely useless and keeps trying to replace my modem for the 5th time.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Refreshing the page rapidly will sometimes cause it to work. Sometimes not.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Sitting here Thursday night trying to watch the thunder and knicks on directv now and it’s so freaking blurry I can’t even see what’s happening. Worst internet I’ve ever had. I’m calling tomorrow to cancel and going back to Cox. 

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

7 years ago

One thing I've found that helps is to let it sit and buffer YouTube for 30 seconds or so, or play for 30+ seconds in 240p or 144p or whatever it starts at, then start refreshing the page over and over.  Instead of stats for nerds showing a 100-1000 kbps connection, it will suddenly jump to 40-50 Mbps and load a big chunk and sometimes as high as 200-500 Mbps, loading the whole video instantly.  

My theory is that they are caching YouTube content on their end through a small pipe, then when they get a copy they blast it all out to you at full speed.

I am in new construction with 1 Gbps service and a newish i7/16 GB/SSD computer connected to the BGW-210 by gigabit ethernet and it feels slower than our old Time Warner 100/10 Mbps cable which never buffered, let you skip around YouTube videos with no lags or rebuffering and Netflix didn't gradually ramp up to 4K over a few minutes, it just started in 4K.

This really isn't a solution, it's no better than letting it sit there and wait for 30 seconds to a minute to buffer a video. MOST 1080p content for me will stream fine with only a few hiccups and no waiting, but 4K videos are a total joke. I thought it might be a caching problem except the only caching service I'm picking up is Akamai which will almost max my connection instantly (Microsoft uses them). Windows updates when checking networking will take up over 900Mbs, so don't think it's that. The only thing viable is there is a hop timeout causing the wait and that would explain everything really. The only issue is we can't figure out exactly where the timeout is happening, and have 0 contact with actual people who can solve this issue. 

Sitting here Thursday night trying to watch the thunder and knicks on directv now and it’s so freaking blurry I can’t even see what’s happening. Worst internet I’ve ever had. I’m calling tomorrow to cancel and going back to Cox. 

This would be a satellite signal issue. I'm pretty sure they still only stream movies through the internet connection. Satellite honestly is ancient in the consumer space and needs to be phased out or undergo a massive consumer overhaul on the backend. I know Hughes offers 25Mb speeds in my particular area with a real idiotic cap but that's nowhere near fast enough to properly stream high bitrate 1080p content or 4k. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

I am in OK as well and switched from Cox to uVerse because of the cost.  I had 60mb with Cox and now have the 70mb from uVerse and YouTube is always 240p any HD is slow.  Cox never had any issues except for $$$.  I'm glad it's not just me but still there is no resolution from what I see.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I have AT&T Gigapower here in Oklahoma City and I'm getting the same problem with YouTube alone. Steam downloads at 800Mbits+ and Netflix 4K videos play fine on my smart TV. It's only YouTube that has the problem with me. 

I'd be willing to put some serious effort into getting this fixed, and I really want to stay with AT&T based on their crazy low ping compared to cable in my area. Hit me up. 

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

7 years ago

Ping is going to be due to it being a fiber connection, and people think I'm hacking when they see a ping of 4 to Dallas servers lol. Youtube won't make me switch, I literally bought a house in an area with this service to not be held back by internet anymore. So, it's a dumb solution but so far what I've been doing is using an Android emulator on my PC. Last night I didn't have any troubles watching Youtube.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I can confirm that using a VPN 100% resolves the issue. This is just sad.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Have any AT&T staff replied to either of the topics we've had open? I'm contemplating calling support or even filling out a complaint over at the FCC site.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

AT&T staff closed the other topic saying it was resolved by configuring a setting in chrome (Disable QUIC Protocol (this is made moot when other browsers act the same way) but it doesn't actually fix the issue at all. I tried calling support and explaining the issue but no matter which department I get transferred to, they say the can check my line and my router but can't check anything on AT&T's side.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.