Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
reiner97's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Wednesday, July 23rd, 2014 1:56 AM

No MMS on Microcell

I have an AT&T Microcell.  The voice side is working perfectly but I can't get MMS at all or access the internet unless the wifi is connected.  I've called Customer Service multiple times but have not gotten a solution yet...Please help!!

This is happening on 2 devices connected to the Microcell...MMS works fine once back on AT&T network.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

ACE - Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

8 years ago

As you say, YMMV. We've never had any issues with the DPH-151, 153, and 154 with our iPhones sending or receiving SMS/MMS to other iPhones and non-iPhones. As I have said many times before, the MicroCell is designed to fill in gaps for voice coverage when a tower signal is weak in your home. It is not meant as a full scale replacement for a macrocell (tower). There will be compromises depending on your hardware, ISP, phone, etc. WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what we recommend if you don't need a mixed environment, provided your phone is capable. Call quality and reliability is much better generally speaking, but that also depends on how robust your WiFi is and the number of devices connected at any one time. We've had posters in the past who have said the opposite! They felt that the MicroCell was better than WiFi-C. There is no one solution that will satisfy everyone.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

I never had any problem sending or receiving MMS or VVM on my Mcell.  I tested it numerous times with the WiFi radio turned off in my iPhones.  That being said, I prefer WiFi-C over the Mcell hands down.  It has been practically flawless since I made the switch from the Mcell.  No dropped calls, superior voice quality (when HD Voice active) and greater range in my house than the Mcell won me over in one day.

The Mcell's plug and play design has become its greatest flaw.  Its 2010 technology can't deal with the virtually unlimited combinations of home networking hardware that exist today.  This forum is proof of the incompatibility issues that vex some Mcell users and many times there is nothing we can offer as a solution because it's impossible to know all the hardware and ISP issues that exist.

As Otto points out, no technology is flawless.  WiFi-C also depends on the internet and your ISP's line quality is crucial to its dependability.  Fortunately, my home network WiFi (even with a WiFi range extender) doesn't have any issues with WiFi-C and my Mcell sits in a corner collecting dust. 

As users upgrade to WiFi-C capable phones over the next few years, the Mcell will gradually fade away.  No doubt there will be users who cling to this old technology for whatever reason but eventually I think carriers will phase out support and sales.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.