Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
What is happening with 3G?
reiner97's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Wednesday, July 23rd, 2014 1:56 AM

No MMS on Microcell

I have an AT&T Microcell.  The voice side is working perfectly but I can't get MMS at all or access the internet unless the wifi is connected.  I've called Customer Service multiple times but have not gotten a solution yet...Please help!!

This is happening on 2 devices connected to the Microcell...MMS works fine once back on AT&T network.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

8 years ago

@MyrMyr wrote:

I'm in the same boat! I just upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and, while I can receive text messages, I cannot receive photos via text. This only happens at home when I'm on the MicroCell. Once I leave the house and get to an area with cell service, the MMS photos come through perfectly. That's never happened before I got the new phone. The Samsung tech support checked the phone and the settings, and there were no issues. I replaced my old MicroCell with a new one, and that still hasn't solved the problem. AT&T is sending me a new SIM card, but I don't know if that's going to solve the issue. Could it be that the phone and the MicroCell are not compatible?

Thanks!

This is more than likely a limitation of the Android OS. Because of the open source nature of the Android OS, and the fact that there are over 12,000 Android devices out there, it's just about impossible to to have an OS that is going to work with all devices. It's called device fragmentation. There is no way to push an update to the MicroCell that will work for all Android-based devices so it's up to Android/Google/AT&T to come up with an update for the multiple devices that can connect to the MicroCell, and that's just not going to happen. I've seen Android phones work just fine with the MicroCell and as soon as the phone receives an OS upgrade, MMS/SMS is lost or has issues. The problem is rare on iOS because Apple locks down their OS so tightly that simple things like MMS problems don't happen. However, the locked down iOS has it's own set of issues so neither OS is perfect. We were hoping that the new Marshmallow OS would be more stable with the MicroCell but it appears not. A new SIM card may help (it has helped some in the past) but I wouldn't count on it. You're basically out of luck. Sorry.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Sharing photos and videos via Google Drive is superior to MMS. No degradation of quality to fit the 1MB limit. You can share to one person or multiple. I use it religiously. 

But...just like Hangouts for video calling...no one uses Google's services to their fullest extent. Using Drive you can text a direct link to the photo/video and it's easily viewed, on all platforms. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to the forum...I also am having issues with my Mcell/wifi.

I have two S6 phones, one iphone 4s & one iphone 4.  All phones link up to the Mcell great! They also all link upto the wireless network great.  We all recieve voice over the Mcell great!  We have no issues sending emails or getting pictures through email on our phones.  (All of this while @ home)  We have no issues sending / recieving mms while away from home.  BUT, when we are home no phone can receive mms (pictures)  

I have called att&t they sent me new Mcell I have swapped out & set up still with no luck.  I have talked with centrylink they sent me a new ZyXel PK5001Z modem/router I have set that up (per instructions) still with no luck.  I have reset modem/router to factory setting all lights on new Mcell & new modem are green everything is "supposedly" working as it should.  ALso I have done speed test multiple times @ home & I have a 10.03 download speed & .79 upload speed.

Help please!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

8 years ago

The MMS issue is a long standing issue with the S6's and there isn't much you can do other than use a third party app. I think someone mentioned at one time that Textra worked but I don't have an Android device so I can't test or verify that. Google/Android has been no help at all in correcting the issue and AT&T can't, or won't, work with them to figure out why. My guess it's just the nature of the open source OS, and it's many iterations that's the problem. It's just a compromise that you'll have to live with.

The iPhones I'm a bit surprised about. Our oldest iPhone here is a 3GS and it has no problems at all sending/receiving pictures via iMessage. We leave WiFi enabled at all times on the phones. We have iPhones from the 3GS up to the new 5SE.

You might want to consider setting up port forwarding to a statcially assigned ip address for the MicroCell. Speed is basically a non-issue if you can maintain at least 3.0Mbps down and 512kbps up on a clean line. The fact that you have no call quality issues means that your line is clean for VoIP and speeds are fine.

Keep in mind that the MicroCell, much like WiFi Calling, is meant to fill in gaps for voice primarily. It is not meant as a full scale replacement for a macrocell (tower).

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Did you update your phone with the latest software? AT&T had a big one
recently. Also, I rebooted the modem, the phone and the Micro Cell device
and finally got everything to work. Basically, unplug everything and plug
them back on. I hope that helps!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

8 years ago

@MyrMyr - are you referring to the Samsung update? Just curious. I heard there were issues with that on some devices.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Samsung had an update, but the big update was AT&T.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

8 years ago

A wireless network update? Regardless, there has always been, and always will be, issues with Android and the MicroCell.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

No, you go to settings, then about, then software update. That's what I did.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

8 years ago

It sounds like you're talking about an Android phone. For the iPhone, the only update is for iOS. If there is one available for AT&T, that is related to the new iOS updated, it will be downloaded automatically. Android is an entirely different animal, and that's the problem.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.