Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
What is happening with 3G?
reiner97's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Wednesday, July 23rd, 2014 1:56 AM

No MMS on Microcell

I have an AT&T Microcell.  The voice side is working perfectly but I can't get MMS at all or access the internet unless the wifi is connected.  I've called Customer Service multiple times but have not gotten a solution yet...Please help!!

This is happening on 2 devices connected to the Microcell...MMS works fine once back on AT&T network.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

After battling At&t for a couple yrs over this issue I resolved mine....I switched to Verizon and have service at my house so I don't need a micro cell. I had been with AT&T for over 25 yrs before this switch. I've been with Verizon now for 4 months with zero issues.  At least I have great service at a lower price now. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

8 years ago

You're not the only AT&T customer who has switched to Verizon. If all of our phones were WiFi Calling capable, like my iPhone 5SE, we wouldn't need a MicroCell either. Verizon does have their own version of a femtocell for areas where their coverage is spotty as well.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Is AT&T listening?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

8 years ago

@MyrMyr - it's not just AT&T, Google/Android needs to step up as well. But we all know that's not going to happen with an open OS. It's easy to blame AT&T, and not the mfr, but both are to be blamed. From the Tech Guide:

... a “pure” Android OS is very stable and robust. The problems arise from the OEM’s and mobility carriers and all the extra baggage they add to make their devices and services specific. Android is basically open source so pretty much anything can be added to it. The problem I see is inadequate testing by the OEM’s and carriers to make sure that their extra “baggage” is compatible with whatever update has been pushed.

The Apple iOS, on the other hand, is still pretty much a closed system and Apple is very strict about what can be added “on top” of their OS. This is not to say that iOS hasn’t had its issues and by no means is that to be interpreted that it’s a superior OS. Both have their pros and cons.

So, either deal with it by using another app (Textra has been mentioned) or switch carriers/phones.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

AT&T now has WiFi calling, but not on Apple products I understand.

When will WiFi calling be supported on Apple, then I can dump my crappy Microcell!

BTW - Android WiFi calling works today on AT&T.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

8 years ago

@amr421 - you have that backwards. WiFi Calling has been supported on iPhone 6 and above for quite sometime. It is also available on the new iPhone 5SE. iPhone 5's and below are not supported and won't be.

WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) has just become available on AT&T's network for some Android devices, but not all.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

OK, my mistake.  My local AT&T store said "no Apple yet, sorry".

So if I have only Apple iPhone 6 or 5SE and Samsung Galaxy 7 then I can dump my Microcell for local AT&T service (which is non-existent from cell tower in my home area)?

Is that correct?

Would love to get this working

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

8 years ago

iPhone 5SE and above is capable of WiFi-C. I did have to get a new SIM for my iPhone 5SE  because I bought it unlocked from Apple. The SIM from my old iPhone 5 worked, but not for WiFi-C. The SIM was free.

I'm not sure if the Galaxy 7 is provisioned yet for WiFi-C. I'm sure someone in the Wireless forum (not the MicroCell-specific one) can tell you.

By the way, the local tower is not necessary per se for the MicroCell to work. It is only used for handing off, location verification, and a couple of other things. All your cellular calling is done thru your internet connection to the AT&T Mobility servers. The calls do not go to your local tower.

Without knowing what your problems are with the MicroCell it's difficult to know the reason for your issues.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

I've been a MicroCell customer since they were launched, so I know how the MicroCell and the tower hand-off, etc.  My MicroCell issues are well documented in this post.  1) No visual voicemail on 5 devices (Android or Apple).  2) No MMS service on 5 devices.  Been on tech support for hours with my employer who supplies my own Apple iPhone, along with AT&T.  Same symptoms of the other 4 family devices.

All documented ports (123, 443, 500, 4500), are open and forwarded to static IP MicroCell as per the tech note.  Still no dice.

WiFi calling will allow me to have full AT&T service once again in my home...

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

QUOTE Pick1911 :  BUT, when we are home no phone can receive mms (pictures)  

IMHO (your mileage may vary), MicroCells (all versions/models that I have had) simply don't support MMS or visual voicemail.  Obviously my equipment and config is different than everyone elses, but that should not matter (again IMHO).

Simple fact.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.