For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
OttoPylot's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

Saturday, December 6th, 2014 12:23 AM

Charter and the MicroCell

We are starting to get reports of the MicroCell failing to connect for some Charter users in Oregon, Louisiana, and West Mass. The fact that they are all Charter users and are experiencing the same problem at about the same time indicates that this may be a Charter issue.

Back in February we saw the same sort of thing, first in Texas and then N. Carolina. Fortunately a Charter Senior Network Engineer contacted me and setup an account here. He went above and beyond to help resolve the issue which he eventually did. At that time, Charter was upgrading their network for various reasons and that required the installation of new network switches. For security reasons (which can't be publically disclosed) the new switches had to be configured. According to the engineer, they discovered that the switches had been configured wrong by the mfr which required an update from their end to correct it. What the update did is proprietary but it had to come from the Charter side. There was a lot of discussion on the Charter forums about this.  I had access to the forums but couldn't post because I don't have Charter.

The bottom line is that Charter eventually admitted that it was more than likely their problem and due to the engineer, they were able to correct it. Kudos to the engineer and Charter for stepping up. I'm not saying that this current issue is the same thing but it is very similar.

Please report any Charter issues here so we can keep track of them and please post your locations (city and state only). If I hear anything I'll pass it along here but my guess is that your MicroCell's will just start working again for some un-explained reason. You also might want to start bugging Charter support and post in their forums to see what's going on.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

After a number of years of reliable service, the power supply to my MicroCell deteriorated and caused the problems you describe. A new power supply solved the problem, but stay away from the very cheap power supplies sold on eBay. I tried one of those, and it was way out of spec. I substituted a known-good power supply, and the MicroCell has worked fine since then.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

Unregulated power supplies are made with cheap components that will deteriorate over time.  The AC adapters provided with the Mcell are prone to failure after a few years of 24/7 operation because of this.  You get what you pay for!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

6 years ago

@BayouBill - glad you got it back up and running. Keep a good power supply as a backup because AT&T will stop selling the MicroCells on Jan. 1st, except what inventory is left in the corporate/retail stores and stop support altogether by then end of 2018. WiFi-C is what should be used now for poor in-home coverage.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

I tried to get a new MicroCell power supply from AT&T but they told me they are no longer available, so I went the third-party route.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

6 years ago

@BayouBill - that's because AT&T is discontinuing sales and support of the MicroCell in 2018 (by the end of the year).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Problems solved guys! haha, It was indeed the power supply! Found another one laying around, made by Buffalo, cant remember what I used it for, but it read just over 12v, and seems to be 10x the quality of the one that came with the micro-cell. With this one, both micro-cells work perfectly. I actually got the spare one from my brother-in-law, which they don't have any use for, so I'm glad I didn't go purchase one, and go to find out it was just the power supply.

To answer a few of your questions, Yes I do live up in the mountains, and the internet we have up here is Charter Spectrum, broadband, cable internet. So I've always just had my Micro-cell connected with a ethernet cable that has been connected to my router, and router to cable modem of course. Otto, you mentioned something about Wifi-C? I've actually never heard of that! Sounds interesting! And you also mentioned At&t eventually is going to stop supporting our micro-cells?? Wonder why? hmm. 

Anyhow, I'd REALLY like to thank you all so much for all your help, and taking the time out of your day in assisting me. I honestly would not have gotten to the bottom of this if it wasn't for your responses and your technical guide Otto! Thank you very much! My cell phones are back up and running! Cheers!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

@Avedis53You asked if my cell phones were WiFi-C capable? That's a great question! That's a feature on cell phones? And again @OttoPylot and you Avedis, thank you for all your help!! 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

6 years ago

@statix - if the “new” adapter read just over 12 VDC with no load that’s still not adequate. The adapter should read 16 VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. Once load is supplied the output will drop a bit so you need to have some “overhead” to allow for that drop so that 12 VDC output is easily reached and maintained.

Not all cell phones are WiFi-C capable so you need to look up the specs of your phone and check. iPhones from the SE model and up are WiFi-C capable for example. WiFi-C is not a software upgrade but a hardware upgrade.

WiFi-C has better call quality and reliability than the MicroCell, is free, but still requires a post paid account, and does not require any additional hardware as it uses your own WiFi router. However, it is subject to the same issues that affects WiFi in general.

WiFi-C is the next step up for poor in-Home coverage. For that reason, AT&T will stop selling the MicroCell after Jan. 1st and will end all support at the end of 2018.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

I don't know if the replacement AC adapter you are now using is regulated or not regulated but here is some additional information concerning the difference between the two types.

Unregulated - The DC output voltage is dependent upon an internal voltage reduction transformer and related to the amount of current used by the electrical load.  They are designed and rated to produce a particular output voltage at a particular maximum output load current.  So the typical AC adapter that comes with the Mcell is rated at 12 VDC output @ 1.25 A.  At 0 A (no load), that output voltage will be a few volts higher, and based on our observations over time we came up with the 16 VDC +/- 0.5 VDC @ no load as an acceptable spec.  It is important when replacing an unregulated power supply to match the output of the new adapter with the old adapter.

Regulated - Also known as stabilized power supplies, these power supplies cost more than unregulated power supplies because they have a linear voltage regulator to control output voltage instead of a simple capacitor.  These power supplies differ in that they will supply the rated output voltage regardless of the amount of current consumed by the load, as long as the rated output current is not exceeded.

So, if you replaced the Mcell's unregulated AC adapter with a different adapter that is regulated and has the rated output voltage, then the measured output voltage at no load should be 12 VDC.

Don't run out and buy another adapter because the output voltage is 12 VDC unless you know that the adapter you're now using is unregulated also.  The fact that your Mcell is working with an AC adapter that you measured a 12 VDC output with no load could mean it is a regulated adapter.  Regulated power supplies typically are larger, cost more and have multiple user-selectable DC output voltages and a variety of output connector plugs but not always.  You'll have to determine if the new adapter is regulated or not.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

6 years ago

@Avedis53 - good advice. We should put the regulated/unregulated comment in the Tech Guide under the AC Adapter area.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.