Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Coop91709's profile

• 

49 Messages

Tuesday, February 6th, 2024 7:27 PM

How to get a wearable plan with pre-paid?

So I'm an ATT pre-paid customer. I'm currently thinking about getting the Galaxy Watch 6 LTE, but I haven't figured out how to get the esim plan for wearables. Every time I have tried to add a line on website, it gives no option for a wearable plan. So is wearable plans only available to post-paid customers?

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

3 months ago

Prepaid plans are not set up for companion devices. There is no smart watch plan on AT&T prepaid.   The software program that allows companion devices is called number sync. It only works when the devices are on the same account. Because prepaid plans are all individual, NumberSync cannot work with prepaid

There are special smart watches made for Alzheimer's patients or children that have a physical SIM card that they can put into a smartwatch. But these devices are paying for a phone plan, which is a minimum $30 for a monthly plan or $300 for the yearly plan.

This would at least double whatever you are paying now for prepaid cell phone service. (And it would not work as a companion device) It's much more cost effective, and to use the device as a companion device by switching to a post-paid plan and getting the smartwatch as a $10 add-on.  

(edited)

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

3 months ago

If you can add a line you should be able to add a separate companion line.

But they're in lies the problem. You aren't "adding a line" to prepaid. It's a completely separate account.   

The program which allows your companion device to work with the phone requires the phone and the watch beyond the same account.  

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

3 months ago

(edited)

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

3 months ago

The addition to the information “(wearables not eligible)” is not a bad idea.  👍

(edited)

Accepted Solution

ACE - Scholar

• 

986 Messages

3 months ago

@Coop91709 Prepaid allows you to pay for more than 1 line in a multi line group, but it is still just a grouping of individual 1 line plans.  ATT just hasn't done the backend work to allow Numbersync to work, etc.

In their opinion, they probably don't think it is worth it.  They would rather you go with Postpaid accounts.  Stickier customers, more potential profit, etc.

Nice that it is easier to switch away from prepaid if there is a better option for you.  Unless you are waiting out a 6 month active period to unlock a phone.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

3 months ago

Verizon's addition of $10 smartwatch plans for prepaid is very new. They began advertising it on December 11th, only 2 months ago.  

This may force AT&T into considering how to make it work on their network. I know how Verizon's 'number share' works and it works far better than AT&T's 'number sync'.   I will keep repeating it until AT&T wakes up and smells the coffee. Numbersync is a terrible software program. It was designed in the clumsiest way possible.  The number of times I've read complaints on this forum for people who can't get their watch or their tablet to sync, or to stay synced.  

Number share is extremely simple to use, sets up in a heartbeat and stays connected

I can understand why one works, and the other one doesn't.  Entirely down to klutsy implementation.

@Coop91709 

By the way if you have an unlocked Samsung phone, you do not need to use number share at all on Verizon. Samsung's call and text on other devices is better than either of the carrier programs.

I use Samsung call and text and other devices between my unlocked S22 a Samsung purchase tab Active3, and Galaxy watch 5. 

Unlike the carrier software, I can turn off the watch or the tablet for days or weeks at a time and they reconnect automatically. I'm afraid carrier software disconnects the device and then you have to reconnect it

Accepted Solution

ACE - Scholar

• 

986 Messages

3 months ago

@Coop91709 The thing to watch is see if Cricket offers it.  ATT network, and all that.  ATT didn't even offer it on their Value Plus unlimited postpaid plan until very recently when they updated their plans.  I may have been able to convince myself to go that route, but not the even more money for their other postpaid plans.

Verizon offered it on Visible first, at least a year ago.  

• 

49 Messages

3 months ago

Thank you for informing me of this, good to kno. That (Edited per community guidelines) tho. If you can add a line you should be able to add a separate companion line. Just venting now. Have a great day. 

(edited)

ACE - Scholar

• 

986 Messages

3 months ago

@Coop91709 This is why only my secondary number is on ATT Prepaid.  My primary number is elsewhere that supports my Apple Watch.  But not Galaxy watches.

Until recently, the cheapest ATT Postpaid plan didn't even support watches, since you could only have 1 line on the account.  I had considered that a year or so ago until I found that limitation.

• 

49 Messages

3 months ago

I get what you're saying. But why does it say on the website "add a line"?

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.