For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
WS4551's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, June 26th, 2017 9:48 PM

Mobile vs WiFi setting?

Which setting should I leave my phone on to not use data?   Mobile or WiFi?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Wifi. If you are on wifi, your phone shouldn't use data but still might. To be absolutely sure you don't use data, turn cellular data off, if your phone has such a setting.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

Wifi. If you are on wifi, your phone shouldn't use data but still might. To be absolutely sure you don't use data, turn cellular data off, if your phone has such a setting.

Even if it doesn't have a setting to turn off cellular data, they could put the phone in airplane mode and then turn wifi back on. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@WS4551 I leave BOTH on. I don't switch back and forth.

When I'm on WiFi it does most of it's work on WiFi when I leave it automagically connects to cellular and goes back to WiFi when I show up somewhere else.

Just look at the top and make sure you aren't on cellular when download / streaming.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@MicCheck If they don't have wifi calling, now they won't get texts or calls.

@WS4551 To me the issue is if when people turn things off, people forget to turn them back on. Then they can't understand why they didn't get texts or alerts or phone calls when they are out and about.

None of the apps have done what they like to do in the background, so when you go to check your mail app (or whatever app) after 4 hours, it's not ready for you, it still has to pull the same last 4 hours of mail down (which it could have done for you already) but now you are waiting for you.

To me, unless you know something is wrong with your WiFi network, you're defeating the purpose of this expensive device that you paid for and the cost of the monthly service.  Why are you paying for a smart phone if you're not going to let it be smart?

I say a similar thing to people with the super small data plans (200MB to 1GB), pay more for a larger data plan or stop buying the expensive smartphones if you aren't actually going to use them as smart phones.

If you're buying $50 Android devices, then that's a different story.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.