For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Bensmith's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, August 15th, 2016 3:24 AM

window 10 update

when will at&t release the anniversary update which was release by microsoft aug 2 for lumia 640 phones 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Probably, eventually.  I'd go Insider, if you want it sooner, but not for a few days (see rest of post).

It wasn't released on 8/2 for Mobile, that was only Desktop, it's still "on hold" there were some issues from Insider feedback.

Once the release it to the "general pipeline", I'd suggest you go sign up for Insder - Release Preview Branch, which is very safe, you'd esentially be getting the AT&T eventual release, with maybe a few updated (fixed) apps as well, minus any new AT&T add-ons.

When AT&T does their release, you could switch over to it, no-harm/foul.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as solved, and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). Thanks.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Microsoft told me they released it for mobile devices too they told be it is released in batches

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

You can expect that the anniversary update will not be released via AT&T until ~3-months after the official release. One of the devices I have is a Lumia 640. I have it on release 14393.67, and it is running great on it. So if you're lookiing for latest Windows 10 Mobile, as @pgrey suggested jump on the Windows Insider program.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Yeah, I'd say 3 months is "generous".  If you're already on the Insider program though, even Release Preview, you'll get 14393.67, the current pre-release.

@ODad Unless you know something I haven't read about, this is still on-hold, pending some Bluetooth, Edge, and a few other problems.  It was 8/2, then 8/9, and now there's speculation on 8/16, but I haven't seen any official release yet?

I'm a bit torn on 14393.67, I've had more issues than I had on several Insider builds leading up to this build, so I'm hesitant to recommend it.  I've had to hard-reset my phone 3 times, whereas I had to do this once, the entire year before this build.  
There was a 950XL firmware upgrade as well, which could be adding to the instability, but for me, 14393.67 is less stable than was was planned for AU initially 14393.5.  That's me though, maybe I've got some app/setting that's throwing it off (there's a LOT of chatter on WindowsCentral though, similar to mine).

Either way @Bensmith, you'll likely want to go to the Insider route, per both of our recommendations; for me, I'd want for the official though, but that's coming from my experience.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

On the 640 the release has been good. On the 950 XL, I'm not certain if my GPS issues are related to it or soemthing else. I've had nothing major wrong with .67 but I've had more annoying problems than had on the previous build. Annoying being things like having to log back into the Microsoft account several times. I had to wait until I got settled and then doing a hard-reset. Always a good thing to do going through all these beta builds.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

It shouldn't take 3 months to release an update because those other updates Microsoft released i got those pretty fast if it takes 3 months again im going to be thinking about dumping att and going with someone else for faster updates

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Bensmith wrote:

It shouldn't take 3 months to release an update because those other updates Microsoft released i got those pretty fast if it takes 3 months again im going to be thinking about dumping att and going with someone else for faster updates

@Bensmith

where you going to go for windows phones?  Verizon and sprint dont even give them a look.  Tmobile does in some aspects.  Your best bet is to buy them from microsoft directly.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

Everyone keeps suggesting going to the windows insider program, which I have been considering for a long time, but I have a question: Will I have to supply a lot of personal info, contact info, permissions to everything on my phone, and will I be bombarded by texts,emails, ads, requests for info and God forbid-strangers?  I have a Nokia Lumina 640 XL LTE which I bought from AT&T summer of 2015 based on salesman stating I could update to Windows Mobile 10 in Nov/Dec 2015 from AT&T, still not possible. I am a private person, I don't use Cortana or social media, I just want the latest op system on my phone! Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@Bensmith No it shouldn't take 3-months. But honestly, who provides faster updates for any branded phone? Your best bet to not have to worry about updates is jump on to the Windows Insider program; we keep saying it because it does remove you from that "update wait". Update your phone to the latest then drop back out if you choose.

@freebirdwil321 No more than what you currently get bombarded with. But if you aren't going to use the features of the latest OS, what will you gain by upgrading? Unless there are some apps you would like to use that are only on Windows 10 Mobile and not Windows Phone.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

@ODad ...I assume better security, bug fixes, not having to wait one year per update and going backwards, yes hopefully some apps as they are disappearing from Windows Phone, and just being up to date with the software best qualified to work with the hardware. I'm sure I'll use some features just not the nosey ones or social media ones. Thanks for the reply. May I pick your brain a little further? I have over 600 contacts with pics and details (addresses, notes,etc), 300 mp3's, tons of pics, 53gb of stuff on my microSD, and I don't use cloud storage. Will I be safe backing up (copy Phone and SD Card files) to my computer hard drive in case something goes wrong? Or any other advice. Thanks again.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.