For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Bensmith's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, August 15th, 2016 3:24 AM

window 10 update

when will at&t release the anniversary update which was release by microsoft aug 2 for lumia 640 phones 

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

Microsoft no help, gonna rollback, but suspect I may still not be able to get calendar and contacts as they say you can't do it with a pop3 account for Outlook even though I have for years but only once before had to change phones, now not even changing phone just updated os. If can't synch after rollback, I'm getting an android phone.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Weird, I think you got someone who didn't really know Windows Phone environments very well, sync-ing is very possible (I've set up numerous accounts, 5 in our family and numerous friends) with Live (Hotmail,Outlook, Live) accounts, and all did a sync, just fine.

I forgot about the two-step verification issue, that you might get, which sort of hosed your initial sync.  

If that was fixed, it should just sync, but it's really hard for me to figure out how your accounts are laid out, to help you with this part, I was hoping that MS support could walk you through that, since they can get a view of both sides.

Sorry you're having to rollback, hopefully that'll just work then.  Either way, at some point Win Phone 8.x services are going to get "left behind", so you'll end up needing to move to W10m (this could be awhile, it just depends, for me I already can't use a couple of apps on 8.x, that require W10m services).

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Meant to mention too, if you can get IMAP servers, it's a better way to go, regardless of W10m or 8.1, takes less "fiddling" to prevent the email client(s) from downloading (and removing) your messages from the server.

POP3 had it's day, but it was more monolithic, and once email was seen as more portable, and "cloudlike" protocols had to change...

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

Rollback sucessful !!! It even synched my contacts and calendar beautifully! Exited the insider program, so happy to have a functional phone again.  When I reset up my restored Windows Phone 8.1 OS I made sure the first account I setup was my Microsoft Account, I can't help but wonder if I had used MS account on Mobile 10 instead of Outlook would it have worked as well?  Even though they both use exact same login info and pop3 email account (which support says have to be exchange account), phone support with anybody is always a crapshoot you either get a guru or manual reader, knows from experience or reading the steps...

Some day I'll try again..I hate Google and Apple...in the meantime I thank you Mr. (or Ms.) Pgrey for the many, many, replies and attemps...it's the nature of tech to drive us crazy..there's always something a little jiggy...happy trails friend

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

@freebirdwil321...  When I read all your posts, it seems as if I'm reading what I'm going through right now. Exactly the same thing happened to me. The only difference is my hotmail account is to setting up. It keeps saying hotmail account settings is out of date. Though my same hotmail is working on my iPad and laptop, desktop. Somehow it's not working on my lumia 640 which upgraded to Windows 10 today.  I also have no contacts in the People App as all my contacts were on outlook. Plz let me know if u were able to fix the problem.

@pgrey.. Do u think u have any suggestions I can try. I've tried deleting the email and tried syncing but to no avail. It is also not letting me add contacts manually, not that I would like to do it, too much pain.

i was never asked for a verification code. 

Thanks

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

Thee only thing I can suggest is doing a soft reset (hold down low volume and power on at same time and don't release until you Microsoft start up) and then make sure you're first account you setup is your MICROSOFT account NOT OUTLOOKeven if same account email login and passoword...welcome to the dungeon!

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

I was never able to resolve and after a 36 hour session with no food or sleep and several more multiple hour days of work and missing appoinments I gave up and rolled back to Windows Phone 8.1 and it worked just fine People app restored contacts with all details, and Calendar app restored my 18 months of pre-scheduled events, I'm relieved to be able to function normally again but still perplexed as to why Phone 8.1 grabbed info automatically but Mobile 10 could not, my number one suspicion is on 10 the first account I setup was Outlook, on 8.1 first account was Microsoft Account (but both use same email/username and password). Hope you have better luck than I.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Yes, I kept trying, but no luck. So I finally decided to factory reset my phone. Before that, I also thought about rolling back to 8.1, but the update request I had earlier received from Windows said that I should upgrade and if I don't do it, it will automatically update on the 24th. So I decided that if it'll eventually update I will have to fix the problem then. I backed up my phone on One Drive and did the factory rese and Restored my backup. I did get my outlook contacts back, but guess what the mail and calendar app was still not working. They didn't sync at all. So, I had no access to mail as well as the calendar which was really very frustrating. I had spent almost 2 days trying to fix the problem.I was left with only one option and that was to factory reset without restoring the backup. I did that and the phone is working perfectly fine. The Windows 10 is so much better that 8.1. Though my phone battery is draining so much faster and it takes a much longer time to charge. Before this my battery used to last more than a day with average use and charging was really fast. However, I'm glad I finally have a working phone. Thank you very much for your help and advice in this regard.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

I'm traveling off/on,  delayed responses,  sorry. 

Yep,  to all,  but @nagsfg currently,  you need to setup the MS account first,  so the Live credentials can sync. 

Most times,  this also involves a verification step,  typically a text, possibly an email,  or either,  depending on how you configured it. 

Once the verification is "unblocked" your credentials will sync,  which you can typically verify by checking your email and/or contacts,  to make sure they are in sync with the online version. 

At that point,  you can add the rest of the accounts and everything will stay in-sync. 

Hopefully this will help when you're all ready to try again with W10m,  it really is a better setup,  once it's all working 🙂

I'll try to write something up and publish a how-to,  with more exact instructions,  sometime soon,  t definitely seems like there's a need! 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@freebirdwil321 glad you were able to get back to 8.1, fully functional! 

You're spot-on with the comments about setting up the MS (Live) account first,  I actually thought that's what you'd done. 

At some point i probably should have had you just remove all accounts and re-add just that one...

I think you know how to do it,  moving forward,  when you're ready.  Ping me if you want,  when you decide to try again and we can sync and clarify at that point, and go for a zero-pitfall upgrade next time!  🙂

-pgrey (yeah,  Mr.,  just to clarify) 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.