RCSMG's profile

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 1:36 AM

Free VOD uses a stream?

Its Monday October 11 at 9:34 pm DST.  I have 3 recordings going and my daughter is watching a 4th channel on her tv.  I went to watch a free vod recording and I get the "All TV services are in use" message.  I didn't know that VOD counted as a stream.  The options I have are to Try again, Select a recording, or interrupt a tv.  Has this always been the case?

I just tried watching Premium VOD and got the same message. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, VOD does count as a stream on the WAN.  If watched on the DVR, it also counts against the DVR ingress limit.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Thanks.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Where did you think the VOD came from?  Your DVR can't possibly hold thousands of programs, so the only place it could possibly come from is a stream.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

@RCSMG wrote:

Its Monday October 11 at 9:34 pm DST.  I have 3 recordings going and my daughter is watching a 4th channel on her tv.  I went to watch a free vod recording and I get the "All TV services are in use" message.  I didn't know that VOD counted as a stream.  The options I have are to Try again, Select a recording, or interrupt a tv.  Has this always been the case?

I just tried watching Premium VOD and got the same message. 

Comcast's system does this too, on the DVR box.

Professor

• 

2K Messages

13 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Yes, VOD does count as a stream on the WAN.  If watched on the DVR, it also counts against the DVR ingress limit.

Ha.  Something being watched on the DVR counts as WAN and Ingress.

I never thought about that!  D'oh!

Professor

• 

2K Messages

13 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

That would make sense, considering the cable DVR has two tuners.  You may not necessarily think so, but it DOES make sense.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

@kryptonite wrote:

@dhascall wrote:

That would make sense, considering the cable DVR has two tuners.  You may not necessarily think so, but it DOES make sense.

It makes sense to me BUT Comcast users can go to a regular (non-DVR) STB and,  even if the DVR is recording on both tuners, they can still watch VOD on those non-DVR boxes.  But then again the Comcast VOD system has a few more shows to choose from.  Just a few (a few thousand).  Smiley Tongue

Guru

• 

497 Messages

13 years ago

I don't think you'd be able to overload the 4HD/0SD profile with the number of VOD offerings on U-verse.  

Ok, sorry for the sarcasm.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

It makes sense to me BUT Comcast users can go to a regular (non-DVR) STB and,  even if the DVR is recording on both tuners, they can still watch VOD on those non-DVR boxes.  But then again the Comcast VOD system has a few more shows to choose from.  Just a few (a few thousand).  Smiley Tongue

Just remember that U-verse has the 4 video stream limit.  An incoming video stream exists for either a live channel or a VOD stream because both are going from the outside into your RG.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.