For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Darknessrise's profile

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

Wednesday, July 11th, 2012 2:14 AM

Re: Are These Stats Good or Bad?

Do you know why we are listed at 700ft while being right next to it? I thought we were hooked up to that one? We have had the old AT&T box on our lawn for ages then back when U-Verse came we got that VRAD box added next to the old one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

12 years ago

It's hard to tell where the line may wander before actually reaching the connect point to your home.  But 700 feet is a distance a lot of us would love to have.  Mine...for example....is 1,900 from the VRAD.  Yet our service is practically flawless.

You did not mention what Internet speed you are subscribed to.  Based on the stats you showed I presume it must be the 6 mbps speed.  I've been told by AT&T techs that the company guarantees 80% of the speed you signed up for at the output of the residential gateway (RG). So you should be getting at least 4.8 mbps down.....if my assumption RE your subscribed speed is correct.  For example....we are signed up for 18 mbps and whenever I run the test for download speed I get between 16.0 to 17.75 mbps....well above the 80% guarantee of 14.4 mbps.  When you check your Internet speed be sure to use a PC connected to the RG at an ethernet port.  Use of Wi-Fi introduces another variable and usually is slower.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

We are subscribed to 3/1(May upgrade soon since that was the old bundle deal speed when we got it lol). That 3.30/0.95 test and the pingtest was done on wireless with 3 bars. It usually caps off at 0.95 upload no matter what. During real world downloads though I usually only get 3.05ish download.

I have never tried connecting with the ethernet port since our install was done so weirdly. Our RG was placed on the opposite side of the house from all the internet connected devices(It would of took the same amount of work to install it in this room + has the same type of wires that room had and maybe even better) and it was placed on our carpet surrounded by a lot of metal/objects in that room : /.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

12 years ago

Everything from the readings looks good.  The reason for intermittent pixelation freezing is not always a bad signal coming into your RG, it can just as easily be a bad signal coming in from the satellites which happens on occasion.  It can also come from an interrupted signal to the VRAD, hard to say exactly what could have been the cause right then, but based on the counts you're taking a few errors which will happen. 

As for your distance, the tech can add an attenuator to the line to increase the distance because sometimes when you are too close (I know it sounds crazy) the signal breaks up a little bit so the line needs to be made a little longer to improve service.  700' is about the right distance to be to minimize issues with being too close to the VRAD.  As for where the attenuator is placed, it depends on who placed it and how your service is fed into the RG.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the responses:). I have one last question if possible. Since we currently get 3/.95 on our 3/1 plan will I expect 18/1.5 for Max Plus or will I get the lowered speeds stated earlier? We have 3 TVs but only use SD mainly.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

12 years ago

@Darknessrise wrote:
Thanks for the responses:). I have one last question if possible. Since we currently get 3/.95 on our 3/1 plan will I expect 18/1.5 for Max Plus or will I get the lowered speeds stated earlier? We have 3 TVs but only use SD mainly.

As I said previously.....AT&T promises to deliver at the output of your RG at least 80% of the speed you are subscribing for.  I subscribe to the 18/1.5 speed.  I just checked it 60 seconds ago.  I saw 17.29 down and 1.46 up and I was measuring it through our home wireless net to my laptop.  I'm fairly certain it would be evern closer to the full 18 mbps if I had checked it on my desktop which is connected to the RG via ethernet cable.  That easily falls within the claims by AT&T.  I'm certain that no one can tell the difference between 18 and 17.29 mbps when downloading anything and you'll never see these tested speeds when actually downloading data.   There are too many other variables between you and the source of that data.  In the real world when I download information.....say a program or app.....from the Internet I'm lucky to see 750 kbps actual speed.....very rarily approaching anything like 1 mbps.  That is the reality of the system regardless of who your ISP is.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.