For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Ben_5160's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, March 17th, 2015 11:22 PM

UVerse likes to lose FOX Sports 1 and 2 entirely

Once the UVerse contract with FOX Sports expires, whenever that is, things will go one of two ways. Either they will renew the channels for everything including Big East basketball, NASCAR, and soccer, or they will stop carrying them entirely. Judging by what happened with Hallmark and NHL Network, it will probably be the latter. And who knows, FOX and AT&T might just completely fall out, leading to the loss of FOX News, FX, FXX, your local FOX network affiliate, your local FOX Sports networks (like FOX Sports South for example), and maybe others.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

Oh really, what's Charter going to do? Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

9 years ago

Really, you are going to compare Fox to Hallmark?  I agree with AT&T's stance but it stinks for subscribers.  How would you like it if in the middle of your contract on a car the lender decided that the air is now more and we're going to raise your rates so you can have air to breath?

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

9 years ago

Fox News has far many more viewers than Hallmark. Keep in mind that the contract with Fox also includes broadcast Fox (Simpsons, Family guy, American Idol, etc.)

To compare the two is beyond silly.

And if we want to compare contracts, what about the contracts with Disney (everything "Disney" and "ESPN" plus possibly more)? Turner (TBS, TNT, TruTV)? Viacom (a gaggle of MTVs and VH1s)? Comcast (NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, MSNBC)?

All those contracts were renewed easy-peasy.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

9 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:

Fox News has far many more viewers than Hallmark. Keep in mind that the contract with Fox also includes broadcast Fox (Simpsons, Family guy, American Idol, etc.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but broadcast Fox would fall under negotiations with the local affiliates rather than the network. 

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

9 years ago

@MicCheck wrote:

@baseballisback wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but broadcast Fox would fall under negotiations with the local affiliates rather than the network. 

Depends.  Most Fox stations are O&O by Fox directly.  If they choose to do so, they could lump in the local stations in with the cable channels.  The only exceptions would be the stations that are licencing Fox TV.

Guru

• 

622 Messages

9 years ago

@BenDover5160 wrote:
Once the UVerse contract with FOX Sports expires, whenever that is, things will go one of two ways. Either they will renew the channels for everything including Big East basketball, NASCAR, and soccer, or they will stop carrying them entirely. Judging by what happened with Hallmark and NHL Network, it will probably be the latter. And who knows, FOX and AT&T might just completely fall out, leading to the loss of FOX News, FX, FXX, your local FOX network affiliate, your local FOX Sports networks (like FOX Sports South for example), and maybe others.

And that's probably why it won't get to that point - especially as Fox has Sunday afternoon NFL coverage.  Even if it's just Fox Sports 1, I think enough people watch it so that AT&T will pay pretty much whatever Fox asks.  They're not doing it now because it's "only" a handful of events.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

9 years ago

@americangame wrote:

@MicCheck wrote:

@baseballisback wrote:

Depends.  Most Fox stations are O&O by Fox directly.  If they choose to do so, they could lump in the local stations in with the cable channels.  The only exceptions would be the stations that are licencing Fox TV.

Yeah...there's a company which owns two local channels in my city. (No idea how, but apparently the one's parent company was acquired by the other. Either way ,they were able to get around some sort of FCC regulation...)

ANYWAY...

The contract between affiliate owner (Sinclair) and provider (not AT&T) was up for renewal. At  separate time, the contract between provider and channel (FOX or ABC...forget) was up for renewal. It was a few years ago, but they made a big deal about how national shows would be blacked out.

Previously before that, Sinclair wanted more money to give out the HD feeds of those two channels. The provider balked, saying that because they were OTA channels and could be received for free, the provider shouldn't have had to pay Sinclair. As a result, the channels were not available to the provider in HD for quite a while. Eventually, they agreed to terms. Of course, this was when HD was relatively new and there were about 4-6 channels available with the box, plus one channel of HBO and Cinemax in HD. ESPN-HD was the only channel on the "additional fee" tier.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

Don't you just love a OPW, okay a TPW, who starts something and never returns to join in the fray or at least defend their rant?

@oufanindallas - most FS1 and Music Choice posts do mention Hallmark.  The reason why, (if I'm allowed to put words in their mouths) is that most, decent TV providers have Hallmark, have a decent music service and have all programming from FS1.  I do see that the TV part of U-Verse has taken a bit of rebellious path.  In the end, the customers are odd man out.  PLEASE don't let AT&T be as nutso as Direct TV, (EDIT: I meant Dish)   in terms of shutting stuff off!  I'm still mad over losing Media Share.  I was told it was underutilized.  If anything, it was under advertised.  Oy!

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

9 years ago

@dhascall Yep, OPWs abound when something doesn't go their way.  Fox is who they need to be complaining to and in a round about way Comcast since it's now the Xfinity series.  I still call it Busch.  Been known to call it Winston Cup as well.  Can't stand it when they mention Dale Earnhard and Spint Championship or even calling Chase Elliot the Xfinity Champ.  Um, nope it was Winston Cup and Nationwide championships respectively.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

Don't you just love a O PW, okay a TPW, who starts something and never returns to join in the fray or at least defend their rant?

@oufanindallas - most FS1 and Music Choice posts do mention Hallmark.  The reason why, (if I'm allowed to put words in their mouths) is that most, decent TV providers have Hallmark, have a decent music service and have all programming from FS1.  I do see that the TV part of U-Verse has taken a bit of rebellious path.  In the end, the customers are odd man out.  PLEASE don't let AT&T be as nutso as Direct TV, in terms of shutting stuff off!  I'm still mad over losing Media Share.  I was told it was underutilized.  If anything, it was under advertised.  Oy!

@dwinth Pegged him as a Charter troll, the name Ben Dover, bend over, he never replied to that thread. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.