For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
monsoonle's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, June 14th, 2014 8:38 PM

Local Ethernet light is keeping off, can't do nothing to turn it on, how to solve it?

just like what topic says.

my wifi is working, but local ethernet is off from the work.

unfortunately I got a printer which has to be wired to network, so I meet this problem..

I have tried reset router ,  replug....and those did not work.

someone help?

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

10 years ago

Are you saying that your printer has an Ethernet port?  Because most do not. At least none that I've ever seen. Most printers have a USB port which needs to be connected with cable to a USB port on a computer which has the printer's software installed.  I've had experience only with several different models of HP PhotoSmart printers and they all had USB ports......NOT Ethernet.  The 2-Wire AT&T Residential Gateway does not have a USB port.  At least my 3801 does not.  So in my case the printer had to be connected to a PC that is turned on....and would be unavailable to other devices on the home network.

Now....having said all that....if you were to purchase an outboard router....like, for example, the NetGear N600....you would discover that this router does have a USB port ( in addition to wireless capability and additional Ethernet ports.  According to NetGear's instructions....this USB port can be used to make your printer Wi-Fi capable and thus it could be accessed by every PC or tablet on your home Wi-Fi net....assuming they have the printer's software installed on them.

My own NetGear Dual Band N600 is connected to the AT&T 2-Wire Residential Gateway (RG) via Ethernet cable.  Then I turned off the wireless function inside the RG and use the new outboard router exclusively.  I paid $79.95 for the NetGear router.  There are less expensive single band units available but you would have to make sure that they have the USB port built in.  It really is more simple than it sounds.  I just followed the instructions furnished by the manufacturer and it all worked the first time.

Subsequently I have purchased a new HP PhotoSmart printer and it has Wi-Fi capability built in but the function is the same.

I hope this was of some help to you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

It is brother mfc 7360n, don't think so it is outboard.
And yes, it has an Ethernet port...connect to router to link to the network..

then I found my Ethernet port light is off.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

10 years ago

OK. Thanks.  It's a good night.  I learned something.  I did go to the Brother Web site and looked up your model.  It has USB and Ethernet ports.  One thing jumped out at me.  The word "or".  The description says you can use the Ethernet port to interface with your network or you can use the USB port to interface with one PC.  Now this sounds like a stupid question, and it probably is, are you perhaps trying to use both ports simultaneously?  I imagine you are not.  But I thought I'd ask because, in my case, it is either one or the other....USB or Wi-Fi.....but not both with my printer.  Perhaps the same applies in your case?

Well I hope one of the other team members who knows more about Ethernet will jump in here.  It's a problem I've never faced, thank goodness.  I feel for your frustration.  Wish I had been of more help.

P.S.  Have you had a look at the Network Ethernetwork guide from Brother?  Here is link.  Perhaps it might provide some help for you.  It might be as simple as a setting.  It's a PDF file so you could download it and print it out if you wish:

http://www.brother-usa.com/VirData/Content/en-US%5CMFC%5CConsumer%5CNetworkUsersManual%5C%5CNUM_DCP_7065DN_HL_2280DW_MFC_7360N_7460DN_7860DW_EN_2845.PDF

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hello monsoonle,

I'm sorry you are having difficulties to setup your printer. It is possible you have a defective Ethernet cable and recommend using a different one. Also, please try connecting other devices wired to your gateway. If the Ethernet LED comes on with other devices such as a laptop, it may indicate your printer is in need of some drivers. You can send me your account information and I will be glad to access your gateway remotely and see if there is anything else I can do to help.

Regards,

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.