For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
gr8sho's profile
ACE - Professor

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

Friday, May 27th, 2016 1:21 PM

Fix It Now! Support Tools : Service Issue Detected

Starting up a new thread which is a continuation of a problem I had requested help on earlier this month.

The most basic premise here is that the Troubleshoot & Resolve tools are accurate and reliable.

Capture3.PNG

The second premise is that while the field technicians have some further insight into the results of the test which can pinpoint a specific ethernet port on the RG, their information does not specify the exact issue that is throwing an error.  Where this becomes problematic is if you have a switch connected to a port with multiple devices, one cannot determine the exact cause of the problem.

Because of past numerous service calls on this very topic, I am now hesitating to schedule yet another visit and am trying to isolate the problem myself.

Is it possible to mine existing logs to determine which MAC address is causing the error being logged by the diagnostics?  

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@gr8sho  If you are not having any actual problem, unintsall that intrusive useless T & R. Smiley Frustrated

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

8 years ago

Hello Chris,

You'll see below that at least one error is logged against port 2, but lacks resolution to specify the exact issue.

As for the T&R tools, you're suggesting that my premise 1) isn't valid.  I can be okay with that, but I have enough working knowledge of ATT to believe they would not put those tools out there unless they passed a rigorous degree of internal testing.

While there aren't any gross problems being seen now, I remain concerned that something's amiss in the internal network and I want to be sure it is running at peak efficiency and reliability.

Capture4.PNG

1 Attachment

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

8 years ago

If you think there is an internal home network problem, I think you'd have to check every device one at a time. Disconnect every device in the home from the rg. Check each port on the rg. Next plug each device into the rg and test. If no problems, move on to testing switches. Or start at the switch to see if it is broken. What problem are you having and how is your network set up? Link to related post?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@gr8sho   You are worried about 1 error out of billions sent on that port?  If I see an error, but did NOT see anything, so what, no loss to me.  22 days ago saw 266 corrected blocks, but they're corrected, so I saw nothing at the time.

On your LAN stats, saw no errors on ethernet, but 580 on wireless transmit, but I did not notice anything, it just resent it when no ack came back.

And how do you know that's not your original error from comingling TV/data? Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

8 years ago

@mibrnsurg I reset the statistics to remove any doubt.  Thought the stats were cleared after restarting the RG.  At this point there should not be any commingled PC and IPTV traffic on a single port.

The funny thing is I just ran a test and got a "no service problems were found" message.  It happens from time to time but most always it fails on a subsequent attempt.  The test I was told was a realtime one.  

And now for whatever reason, I got 4 consecutive successful passes of the test in the time it took me to write this post.

@browndk26   This one.  

I use a Netgear Gigabit switch connected via Cat 5 on port 2.  The RG is in my home office and the switch is in the attic.  From there, it fans out to a number of rooms.  All the clients properly connect at 1Gbps. 

Port 4 has the WAP for the 2nd settop box.  This is a 100Mbps connection.

Port 3 has PC rig connected via Cat 5E in the same office as the RG.

Port 1 has a Belkin router connected via Cat 5 and is setup as DMZplus.  Presently I have it disconnected while I try to troubleshoot the "problems" stated by the T&R tool.

The PC clients on Port 2 are all gaming machines so it's difficult to get time to try and do the type of isolation you've suggested.  Frankly, I have tried to do this already.  It is very laborious if I have to get up into the attic on a repeating basis, which is why I was asking if there was a way to MAC address level error logging.  I've seen cases where the tool would throw an error message with just the switch connected, so one of the ATT techs was kind enough to give me a new one, which I very much appreciated.  Unfortunately a few days after he left I was getting the errors in the T&R tool...  Smiley Sad

One other bit of tourist info.  I can see the DSLAM from my house and measured wire distance is less than 700 ft I believe.  I've been told I am now on an "N" card.  Ping is 19ms and when idle, I can pull over 50MBps.  

Cheers,

Carl

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

8 years ago

It's been more than 48 hrs now that I'm getting error free runs.  At a bit of a loss to understand why this happening now when I didn't really touch anything.  

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

8 years ago

I've reconnected my MagicJack+ to my internal router.  Still no errors from T&R, and no errors in the Traffic Statistics table.

It is strange I'm getting clean runs now when I don't believe anything here has changed.  Prefer to have some intelligence to explain what is happening before I finally let this go.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.