For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
caffdawg's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, January 21st, 2017 6:44 PM

Internet Ready Home -- extra port does not have internet.

We recently had a technician come and install AT&T Fiber to our internet ready home. I asked if the install would include activating the rest of the ports in the house, and he said no, but asked how many I was looking to set up. I just said one for my Xbox in the living room, and he said he'd feed a connection from the router back to the panel and it would work. Before he left, he reminded me which port I should be connecting the XB1 to for the extra port, and I answered correctly. Unfortunately, at that time, I did not have anything to actual test the connection on the extra port, so I assumed it worked.

After moving in, I went to connect the XB1 to the port that he said would have internet, and it didn't connect. Is there anything that I can do to add the internet to the port?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@caffdawg

Once you determine you can get internet at back of 5268ac using the same cable as was plugged into wall, replug back into wall and move to panel and find the port with internet. Once found, plug in a patch cable to that port with the other end going to the port with Xbox.

My son in law has similar set up but his connection to outside network was also on his panel. Unless yours is the same the 5268ac should remain where it is and an unpowered switch with enough ports to use every port in panel plus at least one for testing. Realize if the 5268ac was next to panel in a closet, WiFi range would be reduced.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@caffdawg

The SUTTLE SAM-V8M is not for data so don't use. You will need to purchase an unpowered data hub or switch. 

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@caffdawg

Since the XBox1 was previously installed, you will have to go through its installation process as if you just took it out of the box.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

@ApexRon

I want the XB1 to be hard wired to the port that's in the wall. The technician said he activated the internet in the port in the wall. I hard wired the XB1 to the port, and there is no internet like he mentioned. The XB1 can be connected via WiFi, but I would prefer if it was hard wired. How can I get the internet to the port that's in the wall?

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

7 years ago

@caffdawg,

Your question is impossible to answer as there is not enough information. You will need to explain the set up a little better. Is this the type of set up where you have ethernet jacks in each room, and do those connect to a patch panel in a closet somewhere? have you tried other ports? 

We just need as much information about the set up as possible if you want us to help you.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks @ATTDSLCare

Yes, there are ethernet ports in the wall in every room (some are single, others have two).

There is a panel with various ports and connections in a closet. Right now, there is nothing connected to any of the ports in the panel; this is how he left it after setting up the router.

The technician set up the router near a desk in the living room. There are two connections coming to and from the router. One is for the actual internet. The other, he said, was feeding the connection back to the panel.

I've connected the hanging ethernet cables in the panel to all the ports available, but nothing has internet. I've also tried directly connecting each port to a computer to see if there was an internet connection. No luck.

He mentioned that there is a way to get all the ethernet ports working, but it would involve a switch and feeding it to the ports in the panel (something he said AT&T doesn't do, which is understandable). But, in order for me to activate all the ethernet ports, if there is currently nothing feeding back to the panel, how can I do that? Does a technician have to come back to activate some ports? Can I simply move the router closer to the panel and set up a switch?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@caffdawg

I assume you have a 5268ac from AT&T. At the back of the 5268ac, is the LED lit for the cable plugged in the wall? If no, then something is physically disconnected. If yes, plugging the Xbox directly into the back of the 5268ac to see if internet works on Xbox would determine if this is a Xbox or home cabling issue.

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

7 years ago

Also, depending on the type of panel in the closet, there should be a connection between the port that goes to the modem and the port that goes to the ethernet jack.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

@ApexRon

Thanks for the tips!

Sorry, yes, you are correct. I have a 5268ac.

I confirmed that the cable used to feed the connection back to the panel has internet! 

In the panel, there are 7 loose ethernet cables (all labeled). There is also a hub with 8 ports (nothing connected). I went back to the panel and noticed there were two cables connected together with a coupler (cable #1, cable #3). I disconnected them, and confirmed that cable #1 has internet.

I did a couple things -- 

Since the cables were connected via coupler, I tried connecting the different ethernet cables to cable #1. But the ethernet port wasn't getting a connection.

I took cable #1 (confirmed w/ internet) and connected to the different ports in the HUB. Still no luck.

I took a picture of the panel in case there is something that I could be missing:
https://goo.gl/photos/eoi5Q6pqzY4WsKBR7
https://goo.gl/photos/aBVbzsrfJ617pdVKA 

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@caffdawg

I couldn't see your second photo. It looks like an 8 port hub with another port (upper left) that may be for internet connection (cable #1). Tell me what make, model, and so on hub it is so I can find information.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.