For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
dbucevski's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, April 2nd, 2019 4:00 PM

Viber Call charged $15

Hi, I just saw that I have been charged $15 for using Viber app for a call, the response was your internet connection was probably not too strong?? that is really strange, please explain... 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

Okay here is what user found and posted on Reddit re: WhatsApp, but fiber and other apps like it work the same

9073284C-6F8D-4555-B352-2CC17E4322D3.jpegD32EF8E5-266C-40DA-97F6-8A848B6B71B2.jpeg

2 Attachments

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

4BEB459E-B78E-4069-9583-F59C5FC368DF.jpeg

1 Attachment

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 That makes sense.

Edit: That Apple thread is enlightening because it proves it's not just an AT&T issue, and someone at Viber is actually weighing in on it. The problem boils down to you having Viber and making the call while on Wi-Fi, but the other person not having Viber or not connecting to Wi-Fi. The way to avoid the international charges is to make sure BOTH of you are using Viber on Wi-Fi.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@QuarryRye   I only posted a couple. Plenty more samples from Verizon and at&t and t-mobile.  On Viber’s site there is even a comment about calls being routed through cellular and being charged a “low rate”.  

Tons of samples going back years.  

‘Pull your SIM card.  Use a WiFi only device.  

‘WhatsApp complaints are similar 

I don’t think it’s the only reason.  I think WiFi calling will route as over the network also

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

5 years ago

@QuarryRye @lizdance40  I wonder if the Viber and WhatsApp users are accidentally using the phone dialer instead of the app dialer associated with the app?

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Fl_retire There certainly does seem to be some confusion there over using Viber as the main dialer. It doesn't sound like it's the main problem, though. It looks like when you call someone on WhatsApp/Viber, the app checks to see if the person you're calling has the app and is connected to Wi-Fi. If not, the app just dials it as a regular call but doesn't alert the user. I just imagine someone in the US calling their buddy in South Korea with Viber, thinking this is a free call, and their friend hasn't even installed the app on his phone. $$$ on next bill

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@Fl_retire   @QuarryRye     More than one of the comments on the Reddit thread was telling the original poster that the conversation did not go over WhatsApp, but it clearly showed it went through the regular dialer

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

In addition. It seems such calls are not allowed on some countries. Like United Arab Emirates, Dubai, Turkey, China.  So any call made to one of those countries will be routed to cellular.  (Same places that don’t allow FaceTime).  Gets more complicated the more you dig. 

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

I called my viber friend using viber app dialer and my friend has viber and answered my viber call with viber, my call was made on Wifi and I also subscribe to unlimited cellular data; AT&T billed me for this call.

How did At&t even know I made this call on viber using my Wifi and my unlimited data.

Verizon did not charge for the same Viber call.

This confirms that AT&T is possibly stealing my app data, then stealing my free call. How many other app data is At&t possibly stealing.

This make me think that my app data is secure on AT&T. I state this because If my app data was secure on was than AT&T, At&t would not have been able to see me making a viber call using viber app dialer which my friend answered using his viber app.

If you are worried about your app data NOT being secure on At&t platform, then like me, take your business elsewhere.

Do your research, Then switch to some other carrier That won’t violate your privacy by looking into what apps you are using to make VoiP calls and other app data.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.