Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
mpw101's profile

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

Sunday, May 4th, 2014 10:53 PM

where is New Orleans NBC channel?

I have no idea where to post this, so I'll try here.  Tell me where to post if this is wrong.

I live on the Gulfcoast in Mississippi.  I used to get NBC from New Orleans on channel 1006. Now I get a local channel, WXXVH2, which does not have near the programing that the New Orleans channel has.  Why did U-verse take away the New Orleans NBC channel.  The local NBC channel on the coast in Mississippi is awful.

I want to know why the New Orleans channel was taken away, I used to get it and the local NBC channel, but only watched the New Orleans channel.

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

10 years ago

Sure, a network is not usually involved in any rebroadcasting renegotiation process, unless they are an O&O station.  However, what's different in this case is that there was no NBC affiliate in that TMA.  NBC or any other network is certainly more interested in the success of a "new" affiliate, and will wield as much of their muscle to help that along.

Consider also who pulls the strings at NBC ... Comcast.  Now while Comcast may not service the Biloxi market, they will be on the side of Cox, BrightHouse, or whomever does provide service in the cable industry, and against AT&T because of being a competitor.  Something like this is seen in the NYC market where NY1, a local news cable channel, specifically markets itself as "Always on cable...NEVER on FiOS."

Anyways, it may not be openly spoken of that the networks are involved in renegotiations, but if Sinclair Broadcasting is in a kerfuffle with Time Warner in multiple markets, you can bet that any of the networks would be eagerly watching, ready to lend aid if necessary.  The last thing any of them wants to happen is to lose viewers for any significant period of time.  Let's be honest: How many people, outside of the extreme diehards, are going to schlepp to WalMart to get an antenna, figure out how to watch both cable and antenna (for one channel) with the hookups, and swap back and forth?

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@vid30jk wrote:

Sure, a network is not usually involved in any rebroadcasting renegotiation process, unless they are an O&O station.  However, what's different in this case is that there was no NBC affiliate in that TMA.  NBC or any other network is certainly more interested in the success of a "new" affiliate, and will wield as much of their muscle to help that along.

Consider also who pulls the strings at NBC ... Comcast.  Now while Comcast may not service the Biloxi market, they will be on the side of Cox, BrightHouse, or whomever does provide service in the cable industry, and against AT&T because of being a competitor.  Something like this is seen in the NYC market where NY1, a local news cable channel, specifically markets itself as "Always on cable...NEVER on FiOS."

Anyways, it may not be openly spoken of that the networks are involved in renegotiations, but if Sinclair Broadcasting is in a kerfuffle with Time Warner in multiple markets, you can bet that any of the networks would be eagerly watching, ready to lend aid if necessary.  The last thing any of them wants to happen is to lose viewers for any significant period of time.  Let's be honest: How many people, outside of the extreme diehards, are going to schlepp to WalMart to get an antenna, figure out how to watch both cable and antenna (for one channel) with the hookups, and swap back and forth?

You're not turning this into an anti-Comcast thread, are you?  Smiley Very Happy Smiley Tongue Smiley Wink

As far as antennas goes - the Gulf Coast would be a great place for those who want variety with or without cable.  Distant signals are huge, much of the year.  I'd bet from Biloxi with a decent antenna and mast or tower, one could potentially get stations from SE Texas, much of Louisiana, MS, LA (lower Alabama), the Panhandle of Florida (and maybe even most of FL).  As a TV DX'er, I would love to live there. 

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

10 years ago

To vid30jk:

Thank you for your quick response.

I understand Uverse is “like cable” as it comes into my house the same way, but is really IPTV.  Still it operates by similar rules.

I understand you think it most likely AT&T, NBC, WXXV and WDSU could not agree on providing two NBC stations on the coast of Mississippi and/or WXXV did not want competition in its market.  Or maybe AT&T did not want to pay for both channels.  By the way WXXV was out again for a while today.  The “signal is lost” message was on the TV screen again this afternoon.

My neighbors all have AT&T now, but I’m not clear why I have to go to a non-Uverse internet connection to access:

http://www.att.com/Common/iptv/files/programming/index.html

Why would Uverse block its own Mississippi customers from access to one of its own websites?

Since I cannot access the links I did not know they led to USA Today articles.  In the case of loosing WDSU, a link to an article about this local change was available at the above link, but Mississippi is not in the drop down menu, I guess people found it under Louisiana.  I don’t know. 

Just as a test I’ll try the library; but the AT&T tech seemed to think that no one in Mississippi could link to the AT&T web pages about programming.  He was told some government law prevented it.

Still don’t get why AT&T would have to block its own Uverse customers from one of its own web pages.

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

10 years ago

To: dhascall

I have no plans to build a tower in my back yard. Smiley Frustrated That is not going to happen.  If the NBC network cannot provide reliable TV viewing here, then forgetaboutnbc.

mpw101

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@mpw101 wrote:

To: dhascall

I have no plans to build a tower in my back yard. Smiley Frustrated That is not going to happen.  If the NBC network cannot provide reliable TV viewing here, then forgetaboutnbc.

mpw101

I hear ya.  If you have a smartphone, the best thing might be the WDSU app.  Sorry 'bout that.

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

10 years ago

OK, I think I have a final answer.

First, there have been many complaints about the loss of WDSU in the Biloxi market and AT&T says they are trying to negotiate a contract to get it back.  I am sure there were many people upset about it.

Second, about the blocked web pages that will not load.  There actually was something wrong with my modem and it was blocking certain web pages at AT&T.  "Casey", the lady who called about the survey, finally called back the next day. Then after she understood what was happening she got with people at her end and called me again last night.  She was able to determine it was a modem problem and the pages really were being blocked by my modem.  They are sending a technician to replace the modem on Monday, April 19.

The guy at the tech center that told me the “government” was requiring AT&T to block the pages just did not understand what he was told.  I guess he confabulated the information about the FCC and local markets and the loss of the channel with the blocked web pages or something.

Thank to all for your comments.  I learned a lot.  

And BTW, I don't have a smart phone, so that suggestion could not help me.  But would be a good alternative for someone who did have a smart phone.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

I hope that they do bring it back.  I will say in Indianapolis, they do carry two PBS stations, so maybe they can have two NBC's there.

Scholar

• 

225 Messages

10 years ago

I'm on the MS Gulf Coast, have Uverse and get the CW station from NOLA. My Mom was watching it last night. I know there's a more local CW affiliate that's not carried which is WBGP because it's operated and managed by Cable One.

Scholar

• 

225 Messages

10 years ago

@mpw101 wrote:

OK, I think I have a final answer.

First, there have been many complaints about the loss of WDSU in the Biloxi market and AT&T says they are trying to negotiate a contract to get it back.  I am sure there were many people upset about it.

Second, about the blocked web pages that will not load.  There actually was something wrong with my modem and it was blocking certain web pages at AT&T.  "Casey", the lady who called about the survey, finally called back the next day. Then after she understood what was happening she got with people at her end and called me again last night.  She was able to determine it was a modem problem and the pages really were being blocked by my modem.  They are sending a technician to replace the modem on Monday, April 19.

The guy at the tech center that told me the “government” was requiring AT&T to block the pages just did not understand what he was told.  I guess he confabulated the information about the FCC and local markets and the loss of the channel with the blocked web pages or something.

Do you know what modem you have that's blocking stuff? I'm on the coast too and can reach all the pages you mentioned not being able to. Glad I waited until the end of the thread to reply to see it was a modem causing your issues. 

I think it stinks that WDSU was removed too. WXXV just started up their news department and etc. so that leaves WLOX (which is the CBS affiliate here now too) which is ok but I haven't been to impressed with them over the past few years concerning how they cover stories and etc. It's frustraiting to have the same news people on the ABC/CBS channels and the NBC/FOX locally too.

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

10 years ago

@JadedPixie wrote:

I'm on the MS Gulf Coast, have Uverse and get the CW station from NOLA. My Mom was watching it last night. I know there's a more local CW affiliate that's not carried which is WBGP because it's operated and managed by Cable One.

I know I can get WNOL (the CW) from New Orleans, but I don’t watch that.  I am interested in having WDSU weather, especially during hurricane season.

Also this NBC station in New Orleans is more reliable.  WXXV keeps pixilating or going dark.  They cannot seem to stay on the air.  When WDSU was in 6/1006 channel slot this did not happen.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.