Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
MyMoppett's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, March 1st, 2016 2:49 PM

U-verse Showcase channel 1800

Has U-verse Showcase channel 1800 been discontinued as of 3/1/16?  Or did it change to a different channel?  If not, is there a channel comparable?

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

8 years ago

@younkint wrote:

dwinth --

Just as one could take - for instance - a tool such as a wheelbarrow and use it, filled with soil to grow flowers, Channel 1800 was also used by subscribers for a purpose other than its original intention.

Many of us used it as sort of a screensaver, a placemarker that was often beautiful and calming, a standout amongst the vast raft of hard action, acute comedy, and tensional reality shows. Many muted the channel and let it run much of the day. That ATT did not realize the channel was being used in this fashion is not surprising, but I'm sad that they didn't. We miss it at our home. There is no alternative that we have been able to find.

Perhaps ATT would do well to consider providing subscribers a channel comprised simply of short subject scenes such as Channel 1800 used, but without the constant bantering of "Get HD now!" Not everyone wants constant high energy television pumped into their house 24/7, but would welcome a channel which was a respite from that. The lamented Channel 1800 was just that for many of us.

What about BabyTV or BabyFirst?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Ugh.. Soo bummed. We had showcase on all the time.. It was perfect when the baby was fussy.. Not like "baby TV" of Baby First tv as has been suggested. My son, who is 8, enjoyed seeing all the sites around the world. I found the channel instantly calming with the music and quiet Att only commercials.. I've read in other posts how it's helped in nursing homes and other medical/hospital settings. Fix this AT &T. I'm willing to get rid of my cable over this and find a similar showcase channel elsewhere. I feel ATT underestimated the popularity and need of showcase. Shame on you ATT. This channel costs you nothing.

Scholar

• 

222 Messages

8 years ago

You don't seem to understand that U-verse TV is being phased out.   If you cancel U-verse and replace it with DirecTV they will jump with joy.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

8 years ago

@mitchflorida wrote:

You don't seem to understand that U-verse TV is being phased out.   If you cancel U-verse and replace it with DirecTV they will jump with joy.

Can you please provide a source for that information?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This was our most favorite channel. Please add it back!

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

8 years ago

pimanirad, I think we're going to have give up on this channel. In fact, it's probably the least of our worries. As has been mentioned on the thread, U-verse seems as though it will soon be history. We were unaware this was happening. All the reading I've done seems to say the same: AT&T is going to drop U-verse in favor of their new zillion-dollar satellite TV acquisition.

Evidently, production of the U-verse hardware (boxes, etc.) has been stopped. Customers are being steered toward DIRECTV. This happened to me personally just a week ago. My wife felt we could lower our U-verse bill by dropping a service we no longer used, so contacted AT&T. Unlike in the past, no deals were offered to entice us to stay with U-verse. Rather, we were pushed - and pushed hard - toward something we long ago rejected: DIRECTV.

No sale.

So, now the loss of this channel seems to be the least of our worries. We are facing the dreaded DIRECTV or the local cable mafia. Neither is a choice we want ... at all. We're looking at going with nothing but Internet-provided content and an antenna. Luckily for us, we're very near a major metro area and can (supposedly) receive strong signals from well over 50 digital broadcast television stations. Most likely, the Internet connection and the antenna is the route we will take.

Not happy at all with AT&T for their decision to dump U-verse. We were satisfied U-verse customers. No longer, though.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the reply, my thoughts.

Yes, I understand AT&T is changing to what AT&T executive John Stankey calls, "...one consistent architecture," a "...derivative of the DirecTV in-home architecture."

So, when I mention that existing U-verse box production is stopped, I am not wrong. Perhaps existing DirecTV hardware is also being changed.

I understand that you, as an employee, are still installing U-verse systems. I, as a customer, have quite recently dealt with the sales department and can most certainly assure you that we were given no slack whatsoever on our existing U-verse plan. As I mentioned above, we were pushed very hard toward DirecTV. As far as I am concerned, a melding of U-verse with DirecTV still means the same thing to me as a customer: no more U-verse as we've known it.

We will not be hanging a DirecTV dish on our house. We've been down that road and we're not going back to it. I understand not everyone is capable of receiving U-verse service and that many of those might be served with DirecTV (in fact, probably already are). For those of us who are not boxed into that corner, what we suspect is coming is higher bills for not much of an increase in service, if any. For my family, we're already seeing it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I truly miss the U-verse showcase channel. It was so relaxing and provided such beauty with the photos. Also, knowing the location of many of the photos was great too. Any chance we can get SHOWCASE back? Please bring it back.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

8 years ago

@snowbunnylori wrote:
I truly miss the U-verse showcase channel. It was so relaxing and provided such beauty with the photos. Also, knowing the location of many of the photos was great too. Any chance we can get SHOWCASE back? Please bring it back.

As I'm sure @skeeterintexas or @dwinth will say, considering the channel went away in February as part of the DirecTV/AT&T merger, don't hold your breath.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.