Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
hatie123's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Monday, August 28th, 2017 1:37 PM

Early Note8 Purchase for Past Note7 Owners

So I had the awesome Note7 only to to give one back twice due to the recall. So then I was forced to get a Galaxy s7 Edge on the Next program. While the S7 is a good phone it was a downgrade with smaller internal storage, no iris scanner, smaller screen & of course no S-Pen.  

I saw Samsung is offer a pre-order credit up to $425 for people who went through this nightmare.  So far I have found no information saying AT&T will also give us a trad-in credit, which I kinda understand. But will AT&T at least let people like me get out of the Next program early so we can finally get the phone we really want. I signed up for the Next 24 plan which allows me to trade-up every 12 months as long as the current s7 Edge is good. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@hatie123 wrote:

@lizdance40 Well when look to buy a phone I just don't look at just the chipset.  There are other phones that have great quality chipsets. But what seems to get over looked the most is the internal storage. The S7 Edge I have is only 32GB where the Note7 I had was 64GB. Plus the Iris Scanner is a big deal as the S8 models & Note 8 continue to use it.  If you take the S-Pen out of the comparison the Note 7 also had the biggest screen.  

When I was due for the upgrade back in August 2016, I could have bought the S7 Edge for $100 less then the Note7. But if I am going  to spend a lot of money on a phone I am going to go through every detail. I can't just focus on 1 main point, that would just be a waste of my hard earned money. 

@hatie123

the iris scanner is junk...  I have a s8+....  you can make it unlock the phone with a picture as long as the persons eyes fit between the dots....  A true iris scanner cant be faked....  Its nothing more than a little better version of face unlock which could be faked also...  Fingerprint is still the best security for a cell phone if you dont like typing in a passcode.

as for the difference in the phones.....  It was not much.....  And its even worse if you compare the note 8 and s8+.....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/08/03/galaxy-note-7-vs-galaxy-s7-edge-whats-the-difference/#2ed8012e3775

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

Facial recognition and iris scanner are worthless is you wear glasses.  Finger print yes, I don't have to take glasses or hat off.  Samsung dabbled with the concept with the smart stay on the past few generations.  Didn't work well at all.  

No one is saying the phones were the same, or the Note 7 would have been $100-200 cheaper, and the 8 wouldn't be $960.  But your getting bogged down in dumb stuff instead of realizing you were not worse off financially for 10 months.  Which is the complaint most have.   Just take advantage of the trade in and move on.  

If you want to complain more, Samsung is where you should direct your ire.  It was up to Samsung to make you happy, not any of the carriers.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

7 years ago

This started out as a simple question  then people were questioning me. I am not upset at Samsung for the mess or AT&T overall. I actually applaud Samsung for taken care of the Note 7 issue so quickly & saying they made a mistake.  There have been other phone brands that have exploded but no company stepped up.  They blame the consumer.  At the end of the day I found the differences between the 2 phones & I bought the phone that I thought was best for me & the money I was spending. I personal never had an issue with the Iris scanner even wearing contacts or glasses. I also never noticed the picture unlocking the phone, when my husband tried it. How one sets up security comes down to personal preference.  My brother is in the Coast Guard & has to young boys.  He doesn't see the need to setup any unlocking features, it's his choice.  While the whole thing is a little frustrating, when I can I will get the Note 8 from AT&T.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

@hatie123  Then you were all set by post 5.  

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 If you want to look at that way. I thought it was just a friendly conversation that took a odd turn when you jumped in. I'm not going to go back & forth on what I thought was best for me based on the specs.  I don't know if you work for AT&T but just relax. I would have walked out of a store by now with no purchase. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I agree Ebean. To state one could have gone to some low level junk phone is ludacris. The fact of the matter is that no one, and I mean no one could have predicted that Samsung would have released a Note 8, and even if they planned on it, you had no idea when. It's not reasonable for those of us who place a heavy work load on our phones and use them for more than just making calls to use an inferior phone in hopes something might come around. And if AT&T lost money, my guess it was minimal at best. All smartphones are marked up, and the customer was placed into a contract on their original purchase. If I had to guess, even if getting out of the contract was an option, a vast majority continued on a contract with another overpriced phone. Simply put, nearly all of America has a cell phone, so if they switched to AT&T to get a note 7 deal, they wouldn't be able to just go back to their old company, cause they already had to have closed that account. In the end none of the major carriers lost much money on the deal. Samsung paid for the defective phones and covered any rebates/credits. The carriers may have offered some small credits on their own, but that small figure to keep the client engaged for the term of the contract was made up by the purchase of a new phone. From the stats online, most people simply switched to a iPhone, s7/edge or g20. Sure I could have dumbed my phone to a basic phone that was more prone to defective features, was slow, and provided inferior quality but those of us who have money to spend and require the added features, but that's not reasonable. I'm not saying AT&T owes me anything though. It wasn't their fault that Samsung screwed the pooch on their note 7 phones. They are the bottom of the chain in customer complaints. You think the vast majority of people complained to Samsung or to their local AT&T store? I know where my frustration was laid, mostly unfounded but still mad nonetheless. Ultimately, while Samsung didn't have to offer this deal, they aren't doing as many people favors as it sounds. There are a select few that will benefit from this but most of us will not, at best its a lateral move with a large out of pocket expense upfront, which is likely the remaining cost of what you owe on the current phone. The 5% that got a Samsung j7 or whatever the equivalent is will stand to make out very well on this deal.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

7 years ago

@DocFuRy I totally agree with you.  I just got off the phone with AT&T. I asked them directly if Note 7 Customers that had to give their phone last year for the 2nd time then basically got stuck having to get a phone with a whole new contract if we could at least get out the current Next agreement early. He said no. We still have to either pay 50% off or wait the full 24 or 30 months. He said I could have gotten a pre-paid phone but I quickly said that would not even come close to the Note 7. Last December we didn't even know if Samsung was going to kill the Note brand & since I also use my phone for work, the closest model was the s7 Edge, which is still a downgrade with less internal storage & of course no S-Pen.  Then I asked about the Samsung up to $425 credit.  He stated AT&T has nothing to do with that & you can only get it if you deal with Samsung directly because it's a manufacturer issue.  Well, wasn't me turning in the Note 7 last year also a manufacturer issue? I remember Samsung giving 2 credits which AT&T also honored. I can't understand why they won't honor the new credit. If I went directly to Samsung to get the Note 8, I would get the credit but you also have to trade-in the Samsung phone you purchased in it's place or other listed phone. Then you would make monthly payments to Samsung. But if you are on an agreement with AT&T, you will have to pay the full 24 or 30 months because you won't have a phone to trade back in. 

So I will either pay the few $100 left to equal 50% early or have to wait till December to trade up for the Note 8.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

@hatie123, my point exactly. If Samsung was truly doing us Note 7 purchasers a favor, with proof of purchase, they would honor the credit to the major carriers and allow us to change. This is more of a PR move because they know that a vast majority will not be elibgle to trade in by Sept 30. And it just kills me to hear the Att shills say, oh you could have gotten a prepaid phone or a cheap phone.... Imagine you buy a top end sports car, say a Lambo, only to have some manufacturers defect and have all of them recalled permanently, not knowing if they are going to ever make a replacement. When they do, they offer you a deal, but you are already in a contract cause you had to have wheels so you buy a Ferrari. When they won't let you go back to the car you were promised originally, you are told well you could have bought a Ford focus.... Sure that's a stretch of an analogy but you get the point. The note 7 cost way more because you got way more. And there were reasons why many of us bought it. To tell us to go to the Ford Focus of phones and expect us to be OK with that is not viable and not reasonable. Yes it's just a phone to some but for many many others it's more. If all I needed was a phone to text and dial numbers the cheaper phone would work. For my father in law who still demands to carry a flip phone, yes that's fine. For those people who the phone is an integral part of their business, it is not. Unfortunately, I too feel that I will be in the boat of having to wait it out, which will always put me perpetually behind the curve. Again, I don't blame att for their stance, but wish Samsung would have considered a more cooperative role with the carriers.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@DocFuRy wrote:
@hatie123, my point exactly. If Samsung was truly doing us Note 7 purchasers a favor, with proof of purchase, they would honor the credit to the major carriers and allow us to change. This is more of a PR move because they know that a vast majority will not be elibgle to trade in by Sept 30. And it just kills me to hear the Att shills say, oh you could have gotten a prepaid phone or a cheap phone.... Imagine you buy a top end sports car, say a Lambo, only to have some manufacturers defect and have all of them recalled permanently, not knowing if they are going to ever make a replacement. When they do, they offer you a deal, but you are already in a contract cause you had to have wheels so you buy a Ferrari. When they won't let you go back to the car you were promised originally, you are told well you could have bought a Ford focus.... Sure that's a stretch of an analogy but you get the point. The note 7 cost way more because you got way more. And there were reasons why many of us bought it. To tell us to go to the Ford Focus of phones and expect us to be OK with that is not viable and not reasonable. Yes it's just a phone to some but for many many others it's more. If all I needed was a phone to text and dial numbers the cheaper phone would work. For my father in law who still demands to carry a flip phone, yes that's fine. For those people who the phone is an integral part of their business, it is not. Unfortunately, I too feel that I will be in the boat of having to wait it out, which will always put me perpetually behind the curve. Again, I don't blame att for their stance, but wish Samsung would have considered a more cooperative role with the carriers.

@DocFuRy

personally I thought the carriers should have made samsung deal with the NOTE 7 recall all the way around...  That is how most recalls are handled....  But then again samsung could have issued a replacement from there stock to each note 7 user....  Its not like there were 10 million in the wild only about 1.5 million made it into the hands of end users.  The other 1.5 million were still in warehouses or on the selves to be sold.  Those are worldwide numbers so its a drop in the bucket when you think about it.  I do think samsung played it to safe this year with the note 8...  I mean the battery is way smaller than it should be for a power users phone.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

7 years ago

@DocFuRy  Maybe after Sept 30 goes by & Samsung  sees not many took advantage of the credit offer that they would finally offer it to the carriers to pass on to us. You would think Samsung would want their pre-order numbers to be as high as possible.   Samsung needs all the positive media coverage they can get. 

Yeah, I get so irritated with the phone comparison. You saw earlier in this thread it was pointed out that the Note 7 & S7 Edge are equal because the chip set. Well I'm not buying a phone based on 1 feature. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.