For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
DCIFHoward's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, September 14th, 2016 12:16 PM

Use outside antenna with ATT Homebase

I am using our ATT Homebase as a Hotspot for printer & Desktop computer, which works fine only on occation our tower signal drops. Is there a way to connect the ZTE 2700A Homebase to an outside Antenna source?
I found 2 connection points on bottom where the Battery is but there is NOTHING in the Manual describing these.
I was going to post a picture of these but was unable too.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Hi everybody,

Quick update -- after struggling with a severe degradation of our speeds (from around 15 mbps when we started in May to <1 in November), I opted for the antenna setup as described by TomMMM above.  When I ordered the antenna, it was 60 degrees; when it arrived 2 days later, there was >10" of snow on the ground (and the roof).  At the same time, Ericdallas advised me that a new device was available.  After much ado tracking the device down, it arrived.  And it worked.  Great -- in excess of 20 mbps on a regular basis.  I souped it up further with an antenna (XHD 8dBi AT&T MF-279 Hotspot Router External Antenna) from Antennagear.net for around $40.  We are now getting speeds up to 30 mbps regularly.  I am relieved but this entire ordeal has turned me into a complete cynic where AT&T is concerned -- so we'll see how long these great speeds last haha!

Thank you everyone for the advice and input, especially ericdallas and tonyw58.  AT&T is of no use -- in fact, as someone warned me, they have no idea that the new MF-279 can take an antenna -- it's not in the documentation and one fellow told me it *definitely did not* have an antenna port.  Good luck everyone!

Mary

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Could someone with a 250GB or 500GB plan tell me what plan you are on? I just signed up for wireless internet service and I did not see a 250GB or 500GB option. I'm paying a similar price for just 100GB. I download several digital games a month, so the additional data would be great. Thanks!

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

6 years ago

250gm whpi data says on bill. Also says phone and internet plan with qc19 data treatment.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

6 years ago

Oops 250gb

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the response. After some more research I believe the 250GB and 500GB packages people are referring to are the the Rural Internet Plans. I called AT&T and was told it was not available in my area which on the surface doesn't make sense, since I live in a very rural area and I currently have their 100GB wireless home internet service. They said they were only offering this in a couple of states. This type of stuff as a customer is really upsetting as I would expect to be treated the same and offered the same services as any other customer from a national company unless there is a valid technical reason why they can not offer me that option. In the case of this I can't think of one, since I already use the same service and it would just be a matter of changing my data plan. Very disappointing AT&T!

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

6 years ago

I would go into a ATT store. Maybe you need the wireless home phone with internet option plan. That's all I have with ATT. I use Verizon for cell service. They haven't offered a deal like this. I also did want to confuse my plan and get throttled or slowed down after 22gb. It slows down around 8-9 pm every night for a hour or 2 but still usable I think it is the traffic no throttled. I signed up in October. I use a cell booster. Speeds in am 20X10. 9pm. 4-12X4-8 ranges.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

I do have the wireless home internet service with the voice option. I pay an additional $20 for that on top of data plan for that. I don't need the voice service, since we just use our cell phones which we have a separate plan for with AT&T, but I was under the impression that it was required to get the service and the ZTE MF279. I guess I can see where the nearest official AT&T store is and call them to see what they say. It is mostly likely at least an hour away from where I live, so I would want to check by phone before driving there to only be told no again.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Hello, were you able to upgrade? If so, did it help your signal? Thanks!

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

I did upgrade and the signal is better.  The instructions on-line from AT&T and with the unit are poor so after digging around at other sites I found that the port on the right, as you face the front of the unit, in all you need for incoming signal. Some time this summer I'll connect it directly to my external yagi antenna but for now my signal booster and the antenna on the homebase is working fine.  Also, I found an iPhone app called Mark The Spot that has been useful in telling AT&T that the cell tower signal is weak.  It gives you the option of telling them if you have dropped calls, no coverage, data-can't connect, data-too slow, and if you are inside, outside and your location.  At the time I made the switch the signal was horrible, I downloaded the app and constantly reported issues, things are much better now.  I can't say it was the reporting of the problems or not, but we have a lot of homebase users within a half mile, they all had issues, now we pleased with the signal.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Well, I called AT&T and apparently I have the latest version Z700. So not sure where to go from here. I have an online business and I go live at least twice a week and now my signal is so slow, it stops my live. Not good for business.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.